Author Topic: Have you driven a Ford... lately?  (Read 534 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Have you driven a Ford... lately?
« on: December 13, 2023, 02:23:33 PM »
That's the advertising slogan for 1991 Ford Explorer

In 1990 I purchased a first year Two-Door Ford Explorer Sport as a high school graduation present for one of my daughters. It was a perfect car for a young girl. Big enough to feel that she's safe on the roads with superior view.Yet small enough to navigate in tight spaces. And four-wheel-drive for our winter's driving. She commuted to college for five years (Five year Master's Program) then  moved to Maryland. After driving 180,000 miles she needed something with more room to accommodate a growing family. She returned the Explorer to me for another younger daughter to drive  through her high school years. Then I started driving it. For my seventieth birthday I decided I'd replace the old Explorer with something new. Figuring that it may be the my last new car. But Explorer's new models have sideways engines with front-wheel-drive. After deliberating my options. I ended purchasing a new 2015 Mercedes GLK. Built the old fashion way,,, front longitudinal engine with all-wheel drive.

After nearly 30 years of service and 396,000 miles I figured to do the body work. I purchased a 1993 Explorer for $500.00 just for the tailgate. Some reason this one had a rust-free tailgate even though the rust took charge overall. I purchased the rocker panels and rear fender patch panels. Then a friend needed a car for the winter. And offered me $1,000 cash that I was quick to accept. Then sold off the 1993 donor car for $600.00.  Saved me countless hours of work...

The explorer was a wonder car. Over the 30 years I purchased four sets of tires. One set was paid for by Firestone. Due to the famous roll over issue. In my opinion was uncalled for. As the little truck was super stable! The front twin traction beam axle was stiff riding. But is strong as an ox. It never needed alignment and no tire wear. I put a single set of shocks, muffler & pipes, Three sets of brakes, one alternator and starter motor two years before I sold it. The valve covers were never removed, same ignition wires, That's it. When I sold it the A/C was cold and still running with R12. Only needed topped off ever three years. Since I have so many old cars that run on R12, I stocked up with several hundred pounds of R12 at $.80 per pound! I carried a spare fuel pump for 20 years and never needed it!

In my opinion this 1991 Explorer is a far better built little SUV than the 1998 Jimmy. The Jimmy has a softer ride due to the wishbone front suspension. There's more space in the Explorer and far easier getting into particularly the rear seat. Other than the Explorer having the feeling of a real truck over the Jimmy, both are somewhat comparable. 

I don't have many pictures of my 1991 Ford Explorer. Here's on such picture on one of my lifts... It had nearly 400,000 miles.. Runs as new..

Rear seats

Front seat

Engine compartment

Notorious tailgate rust

Solid Front fenders

Rocker panel rust

Typical rust around fuel door

Sound frame,, no no cheesy unibody

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Have you driven a Ford... lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 06:02:44 PM »
"Rust never sleeps"

I'm glad that I no longer have to deal with it as it can take an otherwise great vehicle off the road.

Good on you for keeping these safely on the road.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

Re: Have you driven a Ford... lately?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 07:30:29 AM »
That is quite the testimonial on the Explorer