Author Topic: You guys in the heartland: Batton down your hatches!  (Read 4753 times)

Offline bonneyman

You guys in the heartland: Batton down your hatches!
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »
Looks like a really bad storm is heading your way. Middle third of the country appears to be in the sights of Cat 2 hurricane-level barometric pressures with rain and snow to match. Hope you guys are prepared!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: You guys in the heartland: Batton down your hatches!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
Looks like a really bad storm is heading your way. Middle third of the country appears to be in the sights of Cat 2 hurricane-level barometric pressures with rain and snow to match. Hope you guys are prepared!
Oh... for a minute there I thought you meant the start of the 2020 political season :))
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:54:32 PM »
theres been a stiff 20-25mph wind coming onshore all day. I guess that's where all the gulf moisture is headed.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:45:42 PM »
Slip knot

I heard the Texas pan handle is supposed to get 80mph winds and snow... look out Abilene???
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
I was thinking of SK farmer in South Dakota. With all that snow he may need to put up a snorkel to get air! :))

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
I've lucked out this winter here in the Buffalo area.  We have had only one semi-major snow storm and a few lesser ones. Most of these storms that hit the mid-west  have passed south of me.  In years past these storms would have hit MI and then hit here.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
I was thinking of SK farmer in South Dakota. With all that snow he may need to put up a snorkel to get air! :))
hey, scoutdriver is the sodak. i live north of there!  :)

we had nearly a foot of snow over the weekend and we are looking at some significant moisture weds. night into thursday. how much of it is snow and how much of it is rain is yet to be determined.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:16:39 AM »
Had to drive about 15 miles this evening in whiteout conditions. Several hours later coming home a couple of clouds and lots of stars out. Temps were back above freezing and roads mostly dry but every north facing surface is plastered with snow from the strong wind. Weather is supposed to start warming up now.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:00 AM »
Article in the newspaper this morning stating that Montana has had temps averaging 27 degrees F below normal for a month.  Similar for the Dakotas.

Seems to have been extra cold here this winter but I haven't seen any stats to prove it  but nothing like the midwest

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
hey, scoutdriver is the sodak. i live north of there!  :)

we had nearly a foot of snow over the weekend and we are looking at some significant moisture weds. night into thursday. how much of it is snow and how much of it is rain is yet to be determined.

Ooops! Don't want to confuse Northerners and Southerners!
Well, it's still freaking cold if you ask me!  :-\

The wife said she read somewhere that Lake Superior is 95% frozen? Couldn't confirm if it was now or in the past.
How the heck do you do shipping traffic when the whole dang lake is ice? I guess you switch to land freight.  :o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:10:00 AM by bonneyman »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
They're calling it a "bomb cyclone".  Time to hunker down!
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline ron350

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
This is an massive storm the weather man said it was drawing moisture from the Gulf. This thing kooks kike a hurricane parked over Kansas.