Author Topic: Bought a pile of vise grip type pliers at auction.  (Read 3185 times)

Offline coolmercury

Bought a pile of vise grip type pliers at auction.
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
For $7.00 I got seven vise grip type pliers at auction.  I only wanted two, the rest appeared to be junk.  Several had been used in welding and I threw these in a pile for a friend.  Another one without a name I also put in that pile.  Before I took them to him I noticed something on the lever of the one without a name.  So I cleaned it and found a patent number, 1,489,458 which is a Peterson, Dewhitt Ne patent.  It turns out to be his second patent, April 8, 1924.  Here is the plier.  The only markings are Dewhitt Neb. and the patent number on the bottom of the lever.

Offline Crispycritter

Re: Bought a pile of vise grip type pliers at auction.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
Cool I prefer Peterson/Dewitt vice grips and buy everypair I find I have paid 50 cents to 8 dollars. The 50 cents one needed a spring so I took it from a junk pair

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »
If you need a spring or screw for a Vise Grip , you can get them free from the Vise Grip website.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »
Nice to know, Thanks!

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
somewhere there is a vise grip website.  So you can date that pair.   I knew the early ones had the data under the handle,  but have never seen one.  You got quite a score.