Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 278401 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1455 on: November 16, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #1456 on: November 21, 2023, 08:32:19 PM »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1457 on: November 22, 2023, 09:11:22 AM »
Real curious about the motor on what I guess is an early funny car.

Blowers on top of each head?  How is the far one driven.  Valve cover on each side of each blower?

Very different motor to me

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1458 on: November 22, 2023, 06:43:49 PM »

Blowers on top of each head?  How is the far one driven.  Valve cover on each side of each blower?

Two separate engines. TV Tommy Ivo popularized the multi engine drag cars years ago.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1459 on: November 22, 2023, 06:50:08 PM »

Two engines one facing forward the other facing backwards toward driver.

60s drag racing was such a whirlwind of ingenuity

Offline ron350

« Reply #1460 on: November 22, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
 Those heads have the bracket bolt holes and they were not used untill 68 or later.

Offline john k

« Reply #1461 on: November 24, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »
The pair of 1920s autos, Stars maybe?  Could that be at the Presidio?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1462 on: November 24, 2023, 08:02:48 PM »
The pair of 1920s autos, Stars maybe?  Could that be at the Presidio?

The guy pointing looks like Henry Ford.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1463 on: November 24, 2023, 09:12:47 PM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1464 on: November 25, 2023, 04:13:58 AM »
Low flying!!

Wing Commander F W Hillock, Officer Commanding No. 410 Squadron RCAF (left), and Flight Lieutenant P O'Neill-Dunne (right), standing in front of their De Havilland Mosquito NF Mark II at Coleby Grange, Lincolnshire, with 300 feet of copper wireless cable which they brought back wrapped around the aircraft from an intruder operation over Holland. On the night of 15 April 1943, Hillock (pilot) and O'Neill-Dunne (observer) mounted a Night Ranger operation to the Ruhr valley. While flying at low level in poor weather they were suddenly confronted with the radio masts of Apeldoorn station. Hillock threw the Mosquito into a vertical bank and flew straight through the antenna, tearing several away in the process. He then continued with the mission before returning to Coleby Grange, whereupon it was discovered that, not only were they encumbered with the cable, but one wing tip had been sliced off by the breaking antenna and the other wing cut through to the main spar (damage visible on the left).

Offline muddy

« Reply #1465 on: November 27, 2023, 09:02:44 PM »
Low flying!!

Wing Commander F W Hillock, Officer Commanding No. 410 Squadron RCAF (left), and Flight Lieutenant P O'Neill-Dunne (right), standing in front of their De Havilland Mosquito NF Mark II at Coleby Grange, Lincolnshire, with 300 feet of copper wireless cable which they brought back wrapped around the aircraft from an intruder operation over Holland. On the night of 15 April 1943, Hillock (pilot) and O'Neill-Dunne (observer) mounted a Night Ranger operation to the Ruhr valley. While flying at low level in poor weather they were suddenly confronted with the radio masts of Apeldoorn station. Hillock threw the Mosquito into a vertical bank and flew straight through the antenna, tearing several away in the process. He then continued with the mission before returning to Coleby Grange, whereupon it was discovered that, not only were they encumbered with the cable, but one wing tip had been sliced off by the breaking antenna and the other wing cut through to the main spar (damage visible on the left).
Not sure how they fit their balls in this cabins.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1466 on: November 27, 2023, 09:05:31 PM »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1467 on: November 28, 2023, 07:41:40 AM »

Two separate engines. TV Tommy Ivo popularized the multi engine drag cars years ago.

Thanks, I see it now :-[

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1468 on: December 03, 2023, 10:30:04 PM »
Low flying!!

Not sure how they fit their balls in this cabins.

So talking of fitting their balls in the cabin...

When I was living in Gisborne in the late 90's I was involved with the Gisborne Aviation Preservation Society who where just completing their museum building to house the gate guardian Lockheed Lodestar ZK-BUV,  that had been used as a top dressing aircraft in the area from 1958 to 1972.

One of the older members was an ex-top dressing pilot called Bruce. Bruce started his top dressing career flying a Tiger Moth, then progressed to a de Havilland Beaver. His boss must have though he was OK because he was then selected to fly the heavy metal, the Lockheed Lodestar and finally the Douglas DC3. Bruce retired from flying in 1987 after flying over 23,000 hours.

A few days before we lifted the Lodestar it's pylons, Bruce and I were waking aroud under it, as I was learning to fly at the time I asked him to explain the slots in the leading edge of the wing tips (fixed leading edge slats). He did then quite calmly mentioned that he had knocked "one of those off on a tree one day". Evidently he had banked into a turn too soon after a spreading run and had dropped the wing tip into the only tall tree in the paddock. Luckly the wing tip is a seperate piece and it departed quite easily, that being the only damage. He finished spreading the load, a little bit more cautiously, and flew back to the airport where the maintainence guys installed a new wing tip. Image throwing a 21,000lb/9,500kg plus aircraft around that close to the ground, remembering of course they always flew at "Ag MTOW" that was a max take off weight, CAA approved, higher than a passenger or freighter MTOW.

The Lodestar carried 7,700lb/3,500kg in the hopper and a DC3 carried 11,00lb/5,000kg.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 10:40:22 PM by Rural53 »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1469 on: December 03, 2023, 10:34:56 PM »
Shhh, don't tell anyone but I found this, an episode of a country life type TV series featuring Bruce when he flying the DC3. Note the bit later in the episode where they mention only 50' under the aircraft. On a side note I've flown with Bruce in the Tigermoth several times.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 10:40:59 PM by Rural53 »