Author Topic: Air compressor advice.  (Read 8921 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Air compressor advice.
« on: February 06, 2020, 06:59:57 PM »
Well my 2 hp air master portable air compressor like the pic shit the blanket today.
 I`m sure it`s not worth trying to fix it so I`d like to get a replacement.
 I`m only interested in US made units.
 Looking for recommendations.
Or is it worth rebuilding? I think it seized up.

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

Re: Air compressor advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
We use the smaller compressors at the plant for air supplies for our bubbler level controllers. we get about a year out them and when they crap out we just toss them and get a new one. I keep a replacement in the toolroom. Way too cheap to try and repair BUT we get the cheapo craftsman or now the cheapo Lowes brand. I'm sure they're chinamese. American made may be worth repairing IDK.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:06:50 PM »
For being a junk import unit yourself, you're sure picky about Made in USA.  :D

The main shop compressor at work is a Quincy screw made in Italy. Been a good machine so far, but it's only 3 years old and just shy of 7k hrs.

Mi-T-M makes a top self pressure washer, and I'd expect their compressors to be held to the same standard. I think USA too. https://www.mitm.com/industrial/air-compressors/portable-air-compressors/

Call up Portland Air Compressor. They have parts for most compressors are pretty good prices.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
For being a junk import unit yourself, :sign0024: :021: :38: :98: :105: :spam: :c002: :character0029:

I`ve got an email into the local place in Seattle I`ll see what they say. if its worth doing ill hit that Portland place up.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
So I separated the pump from the frame and I can spin the flywheel easily by hand so the pumps not seized.
What happened when I turned it on it started up very slowly then sped up a bit and them stopped blowing the fuse in the house, it did dull the lights a bit before it stopped.
Any clues?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
Ok got it sorted.
I`d used an extension cord and that gave it a fit so just hit the reset  and we`re good , trouble is that reset switch is way buried under the main cover.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »
 :clap: cheaper than a new compressor.

...and you didn't even have to use a scanner.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out as those types of things can drive you nuts. What was the gauge and length of the extension cord?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 11:06:02 PM »
Bout 20 ft and only house hold grade.
I should have know better but with my shoulder all effed up I`m trying to cheap out on moving heavy things.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
Lemme guess, the cord was some import junk :D :D 

Offline petter4

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
My old 20 gallon sears compressor just made a loud humming noise...???? I just cleaned it and adjusted belt a month ago... Tested caps they were in spec removed belt motor spins fine and runs fine.. The damn belt pully the small one on motor moved into the motor causing it to bind the motor... The set screw a newer one was tight... Readjusted the belt and it runs quiet and smooth....  Why did the belt move the pully into motor??  Can I use lock tight on pully and set screw??  The set screw was tight??  befuddled... Took longer to get compressor tested and running then the car repair I had..Forced to hand tool it..grrr…  ANy advice appreciated....

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
Lemme guess, the cord was some import junk :D :D

:)) :)) :))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:51:48 PM »
My old 20 gallon sears compressor just made a loud humming noise...???? I just cleaned it and adjusted belt a month ago... Tested caps they were in spec removed belt motor spins fine and runs fine.. The damn belt pully the small one on motor moved into the motor causing it to bind the motor... The set screw a newer one was tight... Readjusted the belt and it runs quiet and smooth....  Why did the belt move the pully into motor??  Can I use lock tight on pully and set screw??  The set screw was tight??  befuddled... Took longer to get compressor tested and running then the car repair I had..Forced to hand tool it..grrr…  ANy advice appreciated....

I would say that if the set screw was tight to double check that the pulleys are lined up and square to each other. If they aren't square to each other it can put a side load on the pulleys.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:00 PM »
If the problem persists, you may want to consider ditching that set screw pulley and utilize a pulley with a taper lock bushing.