Author Topic: Honda Recon 250 Emissions Delete  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Conductor562

Honda Recon 250 Emissions Delete
« on: March 28, 2020, 10:34:37 PM »
Conductor JR’s favorite thing to do is ride 4 Wheelers. We live in an area where trails are plentiful and close, and we can even go into town on them without any fuss. They never need to be trailered anywhere.

We learned a nearly very expensive lesson last year. Unbeknownst to me, at some point in the past few years, Honda started equipping their ATV’s with an “Emissions Pump”. It basically uses exhaust pressure to run a pump that injects fresh air into the exhaust before it’s expelled which according to the State of California, is mandatory to ensure maximum pollution control. The problem is that in a wet/muddy terrain, all it succeeds in doing is pumping muddy water into the top end of your motor. Both of them junked their top end last year because we had no idea it was there. Honda was courteous enough to fix them under warranty, but even being very careful we had a minor occurrence this morning.

Time for the Comifornia shit to go. Researching online yielded very few relevant results, so I had to feel my way through it. I disconnected both exhaust lines, and the line to the carb. As soon as I disconnected the carb line I noticed a vacuum and the motor died. After some trial and error, I removed the pump and coupled the exhaust lines.

To address the carb vacuum I used a heat shrink tube and smashed the end together. For a sturdier 2nd layer of protection, I placed a section of hose over it, capped it with a screw that was surprisingly snug, and used some little hose clamps. I’ll probably replace the screws with proper caps, but in the end, they run better than they did before and we have no more Emissions problems to worry about!

Offline Conductor562

Re: Honda Recon 250 Emissions Delete
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
Continued

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:41:08 PM »
Calif is very good at making things more complicated than need be along with more expensive.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 11:59:30 PM »
I had to liberate my F-350 from the clutches of Communism too. I spent the first $1500 repairing emissions shit, then I gave up and eliminated it before Uncle Sam attacked the Delete market. No emissions inspections in WV.

It’s like a different truck. I went with a clean, close to stock, tune from a professional tuner. No coal rolling dumb shit. No tuner box to worry about. As far as the truck knows, everything is cool. 

[/url]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:02:45 AM by Conductor562 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Hard to believe they worry about atv emissions.

Offline Barks

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51:47 AM »
"Hard to believe they worry about atv emissions."  Hah! Commies gotta commie.  It's in their DNA.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:50:28 PM »
Minus the goofy emissions pump that’s no longer a concern, the 250 Recon is the last Honda you can buy that’s still a simple machine in the style of the old ones. Power steering, fuel injection, computers, fully automatic transmissions, they’ve went and made something so simple too overly complex. I know how old school car guys feel.

I ride a 99 Foreman I bought a couple years ago and I’d bet it’s one of the finest examples still around. It was literally a barn find formerly owned by an old man who drove it to the end of the road to get the mail. Had less than 500 miles on it (avg 26 miles per year). I wouldn’t trade it straight up for a brand new one, swear to God. I grew up on a Forman and every time I hit the trail on it I feel 16 again. The picture is from a couple months after I bought it and while I did put new tires on it, I promise it looks just as good today. I’m so anal about preserving it that it takes some of the fun out of it, but I guess that’s the price you pay.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »
WOW smog pump on a quad! What’s next, fart filter on a cows ass?
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 09:03:11 PM »
WOW smog pump on a quad! What’s next, fart filter on a cows ass?
There in development I'm sure

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman