Author Topic: ‘66 Mustang  (Read 3464 times)

Offline m_fumich

‘66 Mustang
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
I found a guy that’s got a ‘66 Mustang sitting under a pine tree. I haven’t looked under the hood but he says it has a 289. The data plate says it originally had the straight 6. I’m gonna do some comparative shopping and make the guy an offer in December. It’s for sale but he’s not advertising it so it it should still be there. Regardless, my wife has given her OK for the purchase of a 1st gen Mustang if I can find one for $2500 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: ‘66 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
Check it close for rust, many of those old stangs are totally eaten up with cancer.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
Guaranteed the cowl is rusted with those pine needles.

Expensive repair.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
My parents bought a '66 'vert new, a couple years after they got married. The only thing bad it had was the clutch dragged hard, but not many three-speed manual convertibles out there.

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:04:20 AM »
Guaranteed the cowl is rusted with those pine needles.

Expensive repair.
Yup and that means floor is probably gone. Front sub frames and rear sub frames where shackles are  probably pooched also. Make sure you look really close and pour a pail of water into vents under windshield to see if it comes out inside passenger compartment.  Go to Vintage Mustang Forum for more info on rust areas on old stangs.  I'd guess that car is worth 750 to 1000 bucks if its complete, could be less if its as rusty as I think it is. Look for 4 lugs in front if it was a 6 cyl.