Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 212110 times)

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
I would call it a really nice set Cruiser and very unique. Where's that drool smiley when you need it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 03:06:40 AM »
A nice little Thorsen set. Not sure if the box is original but the set is very nice looks hardly used.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
Awesome set there Steve. And yes, I do believe the box is original, the Thorsen sticker probably fell off sometime during its life.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
The box and set are absolutely mates and original. I think I might even have a twin to that box squirreled away somewhere. Yup, only the underside lid label appears to be missing. I favor those little Thorson spinner handles myself.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
Man you guys have some real awesome sets.

How do you guys feel about a homegrown set with a homemade case ?
Because that's currently what I've got, I don't own a complete set of 1/4" drive tools which go together.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

Because that's currently what I've got, I don't own a complete set of 1/4" drive tools which go together.

Basic and "homegrown" stuff is cool -- gets the job done just as well as the fancy exclusive brands.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

Basic and "homegrown" stuff is cool -- gets the job done just as well as the fancy exclusive brands.

Not to mention that is where most of us started out!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
Here's my hodgpodge 1/4" set

The case / tray is the top to an index card file I picked up for 50¢, it happened to be an absolutely perfect fit for the tray for my toolbox so all I had to do was make some quick deviders.

The G code Craftsman metric sockets are the only thing that wouldn't quality as vintage.
The indestro ratchet and sockets should, as should the V code Craftsman sliding T and the circle V Craftsman spinner handle.
If the spinner handle looks a bit strange it's because I compacted it to fit in the case, I removed the handle drilled in deeper and reassembled.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:23:44 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
That's a nice set you made for yourself and you should be proud. All good stuff you have there.

It's taken me years to put together all this crap. But I only started after I had the basics covered and as the interest presented.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
That's a nice set you made for yourself and you should be proud. All good stuff you have there.

It's taken me years to put together all this crap. But I only started after I had the basics covered and as the interest presented.
I need to locate a few more metric sockets and I'd like to come up with some better dividers if I don't find a better csse, but other than that it gets the job done pretty well.
Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
You'll add to it. A few more sockets, a universal, a couple more extensions. It comes in time.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
My weakness....1/4" drive socket sets...... ;D

Took me a while to complete this Stevens Walden set.

The ridiculously large SW ratchet adapter isn't a part of the set. Even by itself, it's so big, there's no way it could ever fit inside the box.

Nice balancing act...lol.   Obviously, way too much time on my hands.

Side by side comparison with a 1/4" Snappy adapter.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
That is a really nice set. Some of that stuff must have been really hard to find - well done!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »

Yeah, nuts and bolts aren't brand loyal!  :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »

Yeah, nuts and bolts aren't brand loyal!  :D
I was talking about a set compiled together with whatever you've got around, as in it's not really a set because it's multiple brands that don't go together.
Always lookin' to learn