Author Topic: Big Alligator Wrenches  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Davethorik

Big Alligator Wrenches
« on: December 02, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
I can't say I've ever seen an alligator wrench this large. And according to the ad, there is an even bigger model!

Found this pair yesterday. I paid $30 even if they just end up wall art, i think that's not bad. The head on the large one is 6" across and thickness at the jaws is 1", it is massive. It also looks like it has never been used.

Armstrong #3-1/2 & #4-1/2, 18" and 24" long.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Big Alligator Wrenches
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
That big one is almost ten pounds of goodness. I would have found it hard to pass those two beauties up.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Has anyone ever used these? Do they actually work?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
They work on square bolts/nuts.   Compared to a monkey wrench, these were speedy.   What is nice is they are a one size fits-all.   Got some, seen many, but never one that big. 

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
I have a 24" one that is not nearly as nice as those you show.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
Has anyone ever used these? Do they actually work?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

They work on square bolts/nuts.   Compared to a monkey wrench, these were speedy.   What is nice is they are a one size fits-all.   Got some, seen many, but never one that big.

They were very handy in a era when there were no standards for fastener sizes and as john k says most fasteners were square. Also used as pipe wrenches. They must have worked at least fairly well they were made for a long time - in fact they're still made you can buy one new. At least you can buy one attached to the other end of an adjustable wrench. Bahco for one makes them that way and there are others - they're sold on an online site named after a south American river.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.