Author Topic: Should I ......  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Midnitemack

Re: Should I ......
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 04:15:59 PM »
I see the dilemma about filling the box with the proper tools. I did a quick search and found a guy in AUS selling Sidchrome 1/2dr sockets on the bay for 25Aus each with 28AUS shipping. I sure hope you can find them cheaper. :o
I’m sure there’s a start on it if I check through this lot ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
Ah....Siddy goodness...does a body good that does.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
I see a Craftsman box that needs some love! :lol_hitting:

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 10:21:36 PM »
I see a Craftsman box that needs some love! :lol_hitting:
I was wondering who was gonna notice that first !!!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 01:34:12 AM »
If I had the skill to redo anything more than a little socket box and had the patience to track down all the specific tools that belong in a particular box, but I just don't have the patience or collectors brain  to do so.
I definitely admire those who can, and I like the idea that theres a specific goal.

Btw I've noticed that cantilever boxes pre stocked with specific tools seem to be a common / popular thing in Australia,  would you happen to know why that is ?

The closest thing I've seen to such a thing here in the states was a Craftsman tool cabinet that hung on the wall,  but aside from that it's usually just a small portable box with a small handful of basic starter tools.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
If I had the skill to redo anything more than a little socket box and had the patience to track down all the specific tools that belong in a particular box, but I just don't have the patience or collectors brain  to do so.
I definitely admire those who can, and I like the idea that theres a specific goal.

Btw I've noticed that cantilever boxes pre stocked with specific tools seem to be a common / popular thing in Australia,  would you happen to know why that is ?

The closest thing I've seen to such a thing here in the states was a Craftsman tool cabinet that hung on the wall,  but aside from that it's usually just a small portable box with a small handful of basic starter tools.

Tool companies have sold everything from basic starter sets in boxes to larger or multiple boxes with thousands of dollars worth of tools. This has gone on longer than you or even I have been alive. All you have to do is look at the old Craftsman catalogs to see one company offerings.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »

Tool companies have sold everything from basic starter sets in boxes to larger or multiple boxes with thousands of dollars worth of tools. This has gone on longer than you or even I have been alive. All you have to do is look at the old Craftsman catalogs to see one company offerings.

Quite right DN! Back in the day tool companies sold customized sets to specific trades and to specific job positions within those trades. Apprentice, Journeyman, Master and Professional sets (just to name a few) were sold to the automotive professional with specializations in body/fender, paint/body, general mechanical, heavy equipment, electrical, and even automotive A/C repair. All the large tool vendors (incl. Sears) marketed boxed tool sets for these specific job classifications. When I started to work at a small gas station while in High School, I purchased a MAC apprentice set off the truck. It contained a few basic tools all housed a standard carry handled flat top MAC toolbox.

If you go way back to the early days of automobiles there were many specialized tool sets on the market that targeted the "coach building" trade. Those sets included not only standard mechanical tools but also a good compliment of woodworking tools since most of the car bodies at that time were still primarily made of wood.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »

I know pre fab fully loaded boxes / kits have been around a long time but as as far as small portable boxes goes they never seem all that thought out at least not more recently.
Something just always struck me as different and very specific about how they do it in Australia, but maybe it's just the cantilever boxes they tend to use that give that impression.

In this area is usually just a few basic tools tossed in a small hip box with a tray.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:53:08 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 11:08:47 AM »

I think maybe you have the wrong impression of what happens here , much of my interest in this box is the fact that it was the first one I had ever seen for sale , back in the 70s Sidchrome did these kits , I think likely the one they did in like a chest with drawers was more common if anything. But that said I only ever came across one local mechanic who worked with one of those sets . I have a couple of those boxes here ( destined for Jabber, we just haven’t worked out how we gonna get them to the US at an economic rate ) It’s early morning here , but during the day I’ll dig them out and lost a pic or 2 here.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 02:16:10 PM »

I think maybe you have the wrong impression of what happens here , much of my interest in this box is the fact that it was the first one I had ever seen for sale , back in the 70s Sidchrome did these kits , I think likely the one they did in like a chest with drawers was more common if anything. But that said I only ever came across one local mechanic who worked with one of those sets . I have a couple of those boxes here ( destined for Jabber, we just haven’t worked out how we gonna get them to the US at an economic rate ) It’s early morning here , but during the day I’ll dig them out and lost a pic or 2 here.

Shoot bud, just jump on a plane for a personal visit and stuff all this in your carry-on!  :lol_hitting:

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »

These were probably more popular.....

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 07:01:57 PM »
 I'm sure I was completely off.

Always lookin' to learn