Author Topic: Par-X Tools  (Read 16047 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Par-X Tools
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:31:11 PM »
I will try and reconstruct the Par-X stuff I posted in case anyone is interested.

Par-X was made by Snap-on as a budget line - I am thinking probably more as a way of selling something rather than let the customer off the truck empty handed. Just about the entire line was retired forgings or sometimes current forgings but the fit and finish was not as good as main line Snap-on. It was a limited line and pretty basic. The line included 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 drive tools, screwdrivers, DOE and combination wrenches, single ended line wrenches and a couple top chests and one roller. Metrics were available in the combination wrenches and in some of the drive sizes. Most of the tools were not date coded but some do turn up.

The ratchets used the same guts as Snap-on of the same era and drive size. The forgings were similar (except 3/4 which was almost the same). Standard 30 tooth repair kits work perfectly in the ratchets. There were only standard handle ratchets as far as I know. Never seen a long, stubby or flex handle.

The early screwdrivers and socket drivers used the old octogrip design but in gray instead of black as Snap-on had used. There were a few that came through in a translucent amber with the octo grip design (if you think you've found one don't get too excited quickly - Snap-on made a line of screwdrivers in the mid 50's called Par-V and it's easy to mistake the two). Later screwdrivers and drive handles used the square clear amber handles as in the pic below Snap-on used on nut drivers and some specialty stuff (and a few screwdrivers).

Par-X was made mid/late 60's to early/mid 80's but is not in the catalogs although there was at least one four page supplement the dealers had. Dealers had the option of selling them and not all did. The warranty was similar to Snap-on but in theory you'd have to pay the difference (50% of Snap-on list) if the piece was replaced with a Snap-on replacement. Some tool sellers seem to know Par-X was made by Snap-on and seem to think they carry the standard Snap-on warranty. They do not and did not. Many at Snap-on are not even aware the brand exists - after all it was last made about 35 years ago.

Snap-on phased out the Par-X name and replaced it with the same tools with the same part numbers but branded Blue Point and those lasted through the mid 80's or so.

Please feel free to post up any Par-X you have.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Par-X Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »
I`ll look forward to your Monday post.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
This 7/16 combo is the only Par-X I have I think. I got it with a bunch of tools I bought that had been donated to our EAA chapter.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
I picked up a couple of ParX wrenches from an estate sale yesterday. They've got lots of toolbox rash but still good usable tools. I don't see them very often around here and when found they've usually been well worn.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
I'm interested in your impressions of how you like them as users.

I seem to find them in cycles. I won't see any for a long time and then I see tons.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »
Got some additional pix to post.

Two Snap-on Octo-Grip 1/4 drivers and a Par-x. The Par-X was made some time after the Octo-Grip was doscontinued. I think Snap-on was crafty using older designs to produce their budget line.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:21:03 PM »
The later Par-X drivers used the square amber handle. I personally like these a great deal. They are nice drivers if you can find them and in my book, desirable.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:27:22 PM »
The 1/4 ratchets were p[retty much the same through the Par-X years when the brand changed name to Blue Point the part numbers stayed the same but there were some minor differences.

The location of the unknurled part of the handle moved slightly and the selector switch changed from metal to plastic (I think it's plastic anyway). Usually the drive gear of the Par-X are black oxide but sometimes chrome and vise versa on the Blue Point versions.

The Blue Point is the top ratchet and the Par-X on the bottom.

Snaparxon

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
Here is JAFE's tool box, at least that is the plan. For now I'm holding it for him :)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Take good care of it.

Snaparxon

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
Take good care of it.

It hasn't seen daylight since I received it and unpacked it and packed it into the basement. I'm going to put some owners marks on it I think >:D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
The fancy word for that is provenance.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 04:34:47 AM »
Par-X ratchet family.

UR72 (bottom) next to an LV72 (yes it's military). The finish is not quite as good on the Par-X but they are otherwise pretty much the same. The internals will swpa between them.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
Wow! Super nice ratchet collection. I’ve never seen the 3/8” or 1/2” versions before. I’m sure those took a while to find.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
At one time they weren't too hard to find but I haven't seen any for a while.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
That stubby slotted driver was in my hands a few weeks ago at the dirt market. It was a decent specimen. I'll snag it on my next hunt there.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
I think you'll like it.

Snaparxon

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 08:59:18 AM »
Is there any  knowledge or speculation who actually made Par-X tools?  Did Snap on make them in house or were the contracted through another company? I have seen some Fairmount combo's that look very similar to the Par-X combo's.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
The line wrenches were likely Fairmount - they showed up in the main Snap-on line and Blue Point as well. Most of the rest seem to have been in house Snap-on made and almost all either were retired patterns (like the Octo handles) or then current offerings with a lower level of fit and finish (like the 3/4 ratchet head). Certainly the ratchets, extensions and sockets were taken from the Snap-on line. The 3/4 drive handle I have is identical to a short 3/4 Snap-on handle save for the stampings. Same for the 3/4 breaker bar head.

Not sure about the boxes though they are different enough I'm not sure.

Snaparxon

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
The combo and open end wrenches don't seem to be made in house either. I always thought the line wrenches looked Fairmount too, would make sense that Fairmount produced the combo's and the open-end wrenches..
I agree on the ratchets being made in house but the sockets I'm not sure of.

Do you know why the name change from Par-V to Par-X was made? Are there any Par-V tools other than screwdrivers?

Snaparxon

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
Here is a UR70 3/8" ratchet with a metal selector

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Found, and purchased.

It now sits quietly with the other 'pending Lauver grip restore" specimens in my retirement project corner (one of a many corners) of the OnS neverland garage.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 05:00:27 PM »
OnS that screwdriver is very nice - I favor those handles I think you'll like it.

Snaparxon that's the only selector like that I've seen on Par-X.

Par-V was a 50's line for screwdrivers and they did show in the catalogs of the time. I'm not sure if they were called Par Vee or Par five.

The Par-X name I always speculated about but the tools were more or less 70's era. The name may be a shortened form of the expression par excellence, at least my theory is it is. I have heard the name referred to as Par Eks by Snap-on dealers who sold it never as Par ten. They did not show up in the catalogs. The tools came in a red and box very similar to the red and white boxes for Snap-on tools of the same time so the branding was intended to show the connection to Snap-on.

Snap-on has used so many vendors over the years it's quite possible the wrenches were made by someone else. In theory anything branded Blue Point was made by an OEM and anything branded Snap-on was made in house but there have been so many exceptions just no easy way to know.