Author Topic: Long Beach Swap 10/7 Edition  (Read 4901 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Long Beach Swap 10/7 Edition
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:21:43 AM »
Long Beach swap this month was sort of odd. Crowds at the gate heavier than usual before 6 but once inside it didn't seem as busy as usual and many vendor stalls were empty.

This was the haul this time. The Craftsman socket rails were really cheap (like $3) and I think in the store they run about 15. I use a similar system but the socket clips fit the rails I already have and I'm probably just going to use the black anyway. This is the system I use to store the sockects. Except 3/4 - I found some of the metal rail/clips in 3/4 never seen them in the plastic. Fleet and Penens 1/4 ratchets, 1/4 Plomb pebble DOE and Filson combo.

For the really observant I got another Penans 1060 last swap but I couldn't pass this one up. Never seen one before these two.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Long Beach Swap 10/7 Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:46:39 AM »
Another little item picked up recently was a loupe. I sometimes use these and one place I use it a lot is making centerpunch marks. I can get very accurate marks with one of these and a lot of light. Normally these are pretty expensive but I managed to snag this for $5.

I don't use corrective lenses for much mostly just reading or close up work. Depending on what I'm doing I have different strength readers these are 2.0 the strongest I have. With the loupe it is just what I need to get in on the marks.

I don't know what the powers on this are  I would guess the big one is 3 and the small one about 5.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »
Hi Steve. Great finds, especially that Penens ratchet. Now you’ll have to find matching 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets for a triple play.  ;)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »
I got those same glasses.  :D

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »
That loop is nice, I have a magnifying Luxo lamp but that only goes so far (I also wear bifocals though.)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
Dang I've got bifocals, too.

Nice ratchets! How easy are they to switch directions with greasy hands? Those flat knurled selector discs look like they'd be a bit tough to work.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
I got those same glasses.  :D

We shop at the same drugstore.  :D

Hi Steve. Great finds, especially that Penens ratchet. Now you’ll have to find matching 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets for a triple play.  ;)

That might be a tall order. These are the only ones I've ever seen in the wild.

Dang I've got bifocals, too.

Nice ratchets! How easy are they to switch directions with greasy hands? Those flat knurled selector discs look like they'd be a bit tough to work.

Not all that easy even with relatively clean hands. Probably why the design never caught on.

That loop is nice, I have a magnifying Luxo lamp but that only goes so far (I also wear bifocals though.)

Technically I probably should wear progressives but my uncorrected vision is close to 20/20 (something like 20/25) and I don't need corrective lenses to drive so I just worry about the up close stuff.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
Well, I have had bifocals since I was 19, and now I have the bifocals and a pair of computer work and close up glasses. They are also safety glasses, which is nice.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
lots of glasses to keep track of.

I have a pair of safety glasses that are like bifocals clear at the top and magnified at the bottoms. It would be better for me if they were just all magnified I think.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
Not all that easy even with relatively clean hands. Probably why the design never caught on.

I'm sorry to be such a negative Nellie but that's how I look at things.   :-[
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:06:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
Realistic is different than negative.