Author Topic: Small or small format ratchets  (Read 28355 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Small or small format ratchets
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
Snagged this set at Lowes a while back because it was on sale. Don't recall exactly what I paid but 10 seems to be stuck in my mind. The ratcheting wrench is very similar to the Reverse Gear Bonneyman posted in post #26. The ratcheting wrench was drew me to the set.

10-12 years ago Sears offered a set that was a twin to that set which I bought and have always been pleased to have. I think i paid about about $20 for my set though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Redvise

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
Came across these short Proto 1/4" ratchets a while  ago. Possibly a military / industrial use, as they have a hole rather than a detent, to permanently mount it ?
And a couple of other ones.

There's a SK, Thorsen, Sparta, Indestro, Wizard and a Master Mechanic.
Also an unknown tombstone, Plomb WF-8 , 2 Craftsman and the Protos.

Brian

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
You have some really nice ratchets there. I really like the short Proto.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
JAFE's right - nice ratchet collection!

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 03:32:13 AM »
A few here. Old photos. More around here somewhere. I believe the Wright 2400 is still the smallest diameter head of any of the old-school type 1/4" RHFT units.
For all the badmouthing, you can't beat the laminated Oxwall model on thickness at the business end. Unfortunately it's not designed for any real torque.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.  ;)
I picked up this military Snap-on at a garage sale on Saturday and the NOS Walden came from eBay yesterday.
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.

There are three of them in that first photo: 2875, 2880, and 6072
That's an old photo. I probably have at least a dozen each of the 2875 and 6072 models now. The 2880 was difficult to find - I think I only have one or two. The real toughie was the open-gear 6070 I posted in the "1/4 socket set" thread last night - took forever to find that one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.

There are three of them in that first photo: 2875, 2880, and 6072
That's an old photo. I probably have at least a dozen each of the 2875 and 6072 models now. The 2880 was difficult to find - I think I only have one or two. The real toughie was the open-gear 6070 I posted in the "1/4 socket set" thread last night - took forever to find that one.
The heads on the 6072 are large, but overall they are a relatively small ratchet.
I find mine to be a nice short ratchet that feels good In hand, they're a low tooth count but not a stiff mechanism and mine is fairly smooth.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Quote from: hickory n Steel
The heads on the 6072 are large, but overall they are a relatively small ratchet.

The 6072 is a 24-tooth mechanism, but using it you probably wouldn't know that. They are, as you noted, a fairly smooth mechanism. Unless I'm mistaken, the tooth count is the same on the older Proto 4749, but the Proto has a somewhat larger drive head.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
some are small, some are not so small. The Wright 2400 is still one of the smallest. The Indestro 2875, the S-K 40970, and the various New Britain models run close seconds to the Wright as far as head diameter. these are just a few more that were within reach here: