Author Topic: I like sawhorsies (but now I like some better)  (Read 2360 times)

Offline oldnslo

I like sawhorsies (but now I like some better)
« on: October 07, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
Today, I upscaled to (used, but new to me) metal folding sawhorses. These are from Toughbuilt. I bought the 550 model because there were no other choices, but I would opt for the 600 if I was to buy new.

Their model comparison is here (scroll down a bit). https://toughbuilt.com/sawhorses

As a backdrop to this topic, I was NOT in the market to move up from my current set (ok, so I may have more than one set), but after seeing these at a garage sale last weekend, I was enamored and came home with them.

Yes, I have had the "make your own" wooden ones with flimsy sheet metal clamps that cost about $10 and then constantly tighten up the screws, or drive in new nails. I then upgraded to the "nicer" but still plastic or resin based foldable versions. Those are functional, but here in the AZ heat, the legs quickly bow after a few hours with 60lbs resting on them in the relentless sun.

I then tried the skinny-topped metal versions, with highly adjustable legs and fold up capability. They are decent metal thickness, and are ok for the DIY'er but have almost no lateral strength to hold off the wobblies, and they will quickly sink into mother earth with their pointy "no feet" legs.

Enter the newest variant, the collapsible versions, Toughbuilt is but one common variant. They deploy FAST, fold up COMPACT and are STURDY from side to side.

There are plenty of YT vid's on these styles, if you are looking to upgrade, I would strongly suggest them. I'm off to mount a sacrificial 2x4 on the top of these and put them to work!

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I like sawhorsies (but now I like some better)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 10:54:32 PM »
Those look awesome.
I'm fine with the plastic Stanley sawhorses which are about as much as I need , but those are just so nice looking.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 04:26:49 AM »
Man they do look nice

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 07:28:31 AM »
Man they do look nice

+1 -- very handy and a great looking design. Thanks for the post --

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
I’ve got several pairs of those plastic ones. But try get used more to hold things while painting. Those posted look like some nice horses for heavier work

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 10:12:25 AM »
Those look like stout ones and would be good for heavy work. I have about 4 different styles of horses but none good for really heavy stuff.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
Those look alot sturdier then my plastic ones. Not bad priced at all either.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 08:49:56 PM »
  Those are really, really great, have a pair. Not that brand, for20 years at least. found them on woot .

Today, I upscaled to (used, but new to me) metal folding sawhorses. These are from Toughbuilt. I bought the 550 model because there were no other choices, but I would opt for the 600 if I was to buy new.

Their model comparison is here (scroll down a bit). https://toughbuilt.com/sawhorses

As a backdrop to this topic, I was NOT in the market to move up from my current set (ok, so I may have more than one set), but after seeing these at a garage sale last weekend, I was enamored and came home with them.

Yes, I have had the "make your own" wooden ones with flimsy sheet metal clamps that cost about $10 and then constantly tighten up the screws, or drive in new nails. I then upgraded to the "nicer" but still plastic or resin based foldable versions. Those are functional, but here in the AZ heat, the legs quickly bow after a few hours with 60lbs resting on them in the relentless sun.

I then tried the skinny-topped metal versions, with highly adjustable legs and fold up capability. They are decent metal thickness, and are ok for the DIY'er but have almost no lateral strength to hold off the wobblies, and they will quickly sink into mother earth with their pointy "no feet" legs.

Enter the newest variant, the collapsible versions, Toughbuilt is but one common variant. They deploy FAST, fold up COMPACT and are STURDY from side to side.

There are plenty of YT vid's on these styles, if you are looking to upgrade, I would strongly suggest them. I'm off to mount a sacrificial 2x4 on the top of these and put them to work!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:53:52 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »
Next time at HD going to look at them. I need something that folds up . I have 4 wooden ones my Dad made I keep them in shed as I have no place to put them in shop.