Author Topic: More Hein Werners arrived this week  (Read 2490 times)

Offline oldnslo

More Hein Werners arrived this week
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »
Despite me not looking for these jacks specifically, as I already own my O'boy since new (circa mid 70's) and have collected 2 of the WS to supplement this irrational collection obsession. Per my therapists advice, I wont go into the other flavors I have  :-[

These two examples came from different sources, Craigslist and Offerup and as you may notice, are highly "unworn" in the handle area, and one had history from being his dads, but just didn't use it himself (the nice neighborhood was the first clue).

Regardless, I'll probably start thinning the herd in the near future as I am not operating a pit crew operation where I need 4 floor jacks in use at the same time, with 4 spares waiting in the wings.

Then again........hmmm......too many floor jacks? What was I thinking?

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: More Hein Werners arrived this week
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
When high quality tools are available at next to nothing prices, it's hard not to pay the adoption fee!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
They do make nice jacks , i have a heiny tranny jack its a bloody beauty.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
Beauties for sure. Trust me, you don't have it bad. I speak from experience. I have one working long frame Walker and roughly a dozen other jacks all not grab and go functional at this point in a variety of flavors several being long frames and a number being short plus an old end lift hydraulic hand pump Walker. At soon to be 59 I am starting to get a different perspective on whether I will have the time or energy to rebuild all of these old worthy American jacks.

Sadly, they are not worth actually doing a quality rebuild to re sell because there are just not enough guys around to appreciate the difference in quality is worth the difference in price to rebuild them for resale.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
Those were great little jacks.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
Elroy tells me those are good curb jacks.

Before Elroy

After Elroy:

For home use, Elroy prefers the OS as it's more portable then the heavier WS.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
Nice jacks everyone!

Yeah I can't pass on quality old tools when all there seems to be new nowadays is junk made to make a fast buck. Not every tool, but alot of it seems that way.
I just keep snagging any great tools I find, even if I already own some of the same tools. Some call me a hoarder, but I think it's just wise. JMO.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 08:10:21 PM »
B-man it not whoreding if you plan on using it. I've got a young guy at work who's been getting lots of good old school tools to work on his newly acquired 83 Ford truck. I had to explain the timing light thing to him. And a NIB sunpro made in USA  found a new home and a new appreciative owner.  :lol_hitting:

Offline Elroy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 03:19:43 PM »
o'boy currently.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 03:34:27 PM »
Great finds OnS! They are definitely lasting quality equipment. Sadly these jacks are not that popular anymore. The names only have meaning and value to guys like us who remember their heyday as American made brands.

I pick them up when I see them sell for practically scrap -- even if I don't need them. It's just the thing to do. Surprisingly, every now and then the local public dump site has older American jacks that were tossed. I tend to think that someone in the family probably passed away and their relatives just tossed the non-working equipment at the dump.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 07:50:11 PM »
I have a family of six or more floor jacks scattered through my garages that I've collected over the years. The one I use the most is a Drednaut that I purchased new 50 years ago. Made in Japan no less..  And rebuilt a few years back.

The second is this bigger truck model that has no name on it. It may be a Walker Capacity 4,000 for sure maybe more.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 11:00:58 PM »
o'boy currently.

Perfect! While I love seeing freshly restored equipment, even better is knowing the efforts spent restoring the equipment was not wasted and it is back to being used as it was originally intended to be!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 11:18:54 PM »
Years ago I bought a twin to the Drednaut used at a sale, except orange colored and flying under another name. When acquired, it worked fine and didn't leak so I cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint and gifted it to my pop. We used it for decades and I  don't recall what became of it. I think it eventually hemorrhage jack oil and I actually scrapped it since it was an import. That might sound bad, but as much work as they require to rebuild I knew I would never put the work required into rebuilding it when I have multiple other jacks I would prefer to put that kind of time, effort, and money into rebuilding. The one feature my jack, and yours shared that I prized greatly was that huge oversize lift plate. No other jack, regardless the brand that I own or have ever seen has such a generous sized lift plate as that jack. I despise jacks with puny lift plates like most found today have. Virtually all of the brands of jacks sold decades ago had acceptably sized lift plates, not so much anymore.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 11:30:22 PM »
So, does anyone have a long frame Weaver floor jack in their bone pile awaiting a rebuild and fresh lease on life? I have one that I bought from a guy that actually had it on the back of his truck heading to the scrap yard! One of these days I hope to go thru the old girl.

Weaver is a very old brand, possibly even as old or even older than Walker! Excellent brand, still proudly USA made with full availability of parts for even their old jacks. It has been several years since I researched them, but I seem to recall that just getting the bottle out required much less effort than most every brand that I am familiar with due to their design.