Author Topic: Fixing the seals in a leaking Porta-Power cylinder -  (Read 13224 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Fixing the seals in a leaking Porta-Power cylinder -
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
While working on my Highlander I noticed that my almost 40 year old Taiwanese 4-ton Porta-Power was starting to leak at the end of the ram. I managed to baby it to get it to work, but the leak definitely got worse. Unlike traditional US made Porta-Powers, these Taiwanese import clones didn't have standardized parts; hence you can't readily find parts for these old units, but you can improvise and rebuild them.

First loosen the ram locking collar. I don't have the specialty socket to loosen it, so I just set a small punch into one of the socket grooves on the collar and use a hammer to rotate it counterclockwise and loosen. Once loose I found that a pair of body clip pliers will get enough bite to help turn it all the way out.

You don't have to remove the pressed on extension mount on top of the ram to get the collar off, but I just wanted to disassemble it totally, so I used a bearing puller to remove the top mount.

Next remove the hydraulic hose fitting

Once the fitting is removed, there is a hex head screw inside the hole which holds the return spring for the ram --

Now the ram can be pulled out

This is what the business end with the seals looks like -- notice the metal loop on the end? That's the return spring loop through which the hex head bolt gets screwed to hold the spring in tension.

This is what the spring looks like -- It doesn't have to be removed.

There is a C clip in the end of the ram to act as stop for the extended ram -- but it doesn't have to be removed;except mine was all gummed up and it didn't float at all. It was stuck in the groove.

The ram is easy to disassemble. Clamp the end-nut in a vise and use a small pipe wrench on the knurled top to loosen it -- not very tight.

This is the seal, spacer, and washer assembly.

Basically four interlocking pieces (a brass wiper, plastic wiper, second plastic wiper, and a phenolic material seal.

The phenolic seal is toast -- most of it is stuck to the shaft

The entire ram disassembled --

The phenolic seal is falling apart and making the ram leak

After some cleaning, the shaft itself is flawless

Realizing that I probably won't find a replacement phenolic seal, I improvised and decided to use a large "O" ring -- along with the old Phenolic seal. The deteriorated phenolic material was removed, and what remained was a brass base. I will use that brass base to squeeze the "O" ring against the lower plastic wiper to make it expand a tad past the plastic wiper. By tightening the nut just enough it will make the "O" ring expand and squeeze out to act as a seal .

This is the new seal package. Notice the old brass base on the far right which held the deteriorated phenolic material. I used it to put pressure on the "O" ring to make it act like a seal.

I lubed the ram and inserted it back in the receiver tube, and used a small screw driver to pull the spring end loop down far enough to reinsert the hex hold-down screw.

The hydraulic fitting was next - but I also added an ounce of hydraulic jack oil into that cavity to prime it. Basically to avoid draining the pump of hydraulic fluid before the ram is at full extension.

Finally the locking collar was screwed back in and tightened with a punch and hammer

Lastly I hooked up the pump and gave it a shot -- Voilą --- it works like new. Pumps up nice and steady and no leaks.

This old unit and I have many years behind us and it was a great piece of equipment. I fixed a lot of cars with it, and wanted to give it another chance at life. It was purchased at a time when Taiwanese tools and equipment were just entering the US market. The unit was bought from an independent tool truck that sold a lot of Taiwanese tools back in the day.

Offline slip knot

Re: Fixing the seals in a leaking Porta-Power cylinder -
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »
Nice save on that one. maybe. I've got the twin of that one in a red dress. just about all of the plastic parts were rotten in mine. I tried improvising some orings and leather washers with mixed results. They seemed to work ok until they got loaded up then it leaked all over the place.

I'll keep the box, but sadly, the rest of its headed for the scrap pile.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
Old posting-just asking if the internals parts from say blackhawk or other usa units would be in the same size range to repair aforementioned rams??  Maybe still available?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
Old posting-just asking if the internals parts from say blackhawk or other usa units would be in the same size range to repair aforementioned rams??  Maybe still available?

I don't know exactly. The Taiwanese designs were based on older US specs and they made them less robust to save money. That said, I wouldn't be afraid to pull an older US unit apart and look at the ram. Unless the thing is totally corroded, chances are you can get cheap aftermarket parts that will restore the function. We so many seal and wiper options these days that I'm sure you would be able to get what you need to make them work.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
I did this just a few months ago with my Taiwan knock off unit. All the parts are SAE sized. Found everything at Hydraulic Parts Supply, Sawyer KS. 620 594-2247 Great folks. I have been slowly fixing all my hydraulic leaks as of late.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
O&S, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list still?  That looks like what mine looked like with the crumbled up parts more crumbled. ;D

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
I would measure the bore, and shaft to get the right ones. Here are the part numbers on mine. Ignore the quad seals. I thought they would work for the spreader tool phenolic seal, but wrongo.....off to the parts pile they go.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
Thanks, it gives me a start. I've got the measurements but don't know what the parts are called.