Author Topic: Broke my Garage Door!  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Broke my Garage Door!
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
I won't go into the "how" of it, but the short story is I've broken my garage door.  Sectional roll up door 12' wide and 7' tall.  Had it part way open when it started jamming (something wrapped in the spring) then it was pretty much stuck in that position.  Turns out the cable on the left side of the door had come off the spool on the end of the spring bar. 

I wound up having to dismantle the door in sections until the bottom panel could rise high enough to remove tension in the remaining cable and disconnected that from the panel.  Reassembled the door panels in the tracks so I could close and secure the garage.  Obviously now I can't open or close the door until the cables are reconnected/wound and the panels properly adjusted.

Am I correct in assuming that I can't connect the cables properly while the spring is tensioned?  And am I being wise in assuming that I should let a professional deal with the spring and repairs?

Offline slip knot

Re: Broke my Garage Door!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:08:42 PM »
My vote is to call in the pro's. The job is doable and seems easy enough but the springs get some serious power built up. A wrong move can get painful. I got a local overhead door company do work for me. they can be in and out faster than I can even get ready to try it. and usually very reasonable too.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
My vote is to call in the pro's. The job is doable and seems easy enough but the springs get some serious power built up. A wrong move can get painful. I got a local overhead door company do work for me. they can be in and out faster than I can even get ready to try it. and usually very reasonable too.

That was pretty much my sentiment.  Just got off the phone with a local company, they'll be here Tue or Wed (Monday's a holiday).  Probably cost me just over $100 (hopefully) and I can get him to adjust tension on the spring for my shop's door as well.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »
I had a cable snap a few years ago. That was easy to replace. Then the spring broke one night @ 2 am. It sounded like a shotgun going off. It even woke the guy next door up. I have replacement springs , but need to clear out that section of garage to get to it. Good luck with yours.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
I vote also to call a pro. Had a spring break last year and a guy came out the next day. He put a set of slighter higher rated springs on as he said the door was probably insulated after it had been installed and he said the heavier springs would do a better job and last longer. He also showed a trick as he checked all the rollers and he slightly used pliers on every hinge which quieted the door down a good amount. He lubed everything with spray lubricant including the new spring as he said that the lube will make the spring perform better and last longer. I forget the exact amount of the repair but I felt it was a great value.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Another vote for a pro.  I've replaced parts myself on my door, but when the job gets too big, better to call in someone who works on them for a living.
boop/bop/beep

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:49:22 AM »
What is the cabling config. spring, pulley and cabal along the door rails?  Spring in a tube or externally wrapped over it.  Mounted on the front header, take up reels on each end?

For me that would be the pro or me repair qualifier. The later being best to call another in.

Learned something, RTP a while back. If a header mount has the spring on the outside, it should be serviced as in WD40 or one's preferred lube, yearly.

Of course there are lots of squirt on magic formulas available, personally prefer the dry lubes for the GDs

BTW one should raise the GD before driving thru it  .. :-\.

Just having fun, that was a bust having that happen. I also learn by doing ....
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
BTW one should raise the GD before driving thru it  .. :-\.

Meh, technicalities...

Got the pro in, he got the door set back to rights and adjusted the spring tension on my shop door while he was here.  Both doors work great now.  $75 well spent. (Cash is king!)

He showed me where to lube the rollers and springs annually, and said "Anything but WD40".  His preference was Liquid Film.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
I would say that was $75 well spent. Everything is right and you saved on bandages letting a pro work on it. ;D

I also have a hard and fast rule that a rollup or garage door is all the way up before taking a forklift or vehicle under it. Up just enough to clear is no good as I have watched guys bring a forklift out of a building and take a load off my truck and then watch them destroy the door because a section of the mast is raised due to the load they are carrying.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:38:44 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline nonhog

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
 I removed the old springs before having a new door installed. I wanted to sheetrock and insulate the wall first. Was scary but not a big deal. Super glad I only took it apart.
Probably easy to install also but was fine having a pro dial in both springs.