Author Topic: Doncha just hate it when...  (Read 4250 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Doncha just hate it when...
« on: April 22, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
A stinky dirty ratty hippie pesters you for a ride or " can I bum " this or that ?
Yeah bum is right, I hate it when the idiots do that.

I walked to the gas station around the corner to grab a snack and I could see 'em a mile away, of course they waited till I was walking out to ask me " hey man, any chance you're heading north ".
I couldn't reply fast enough that I had walked there from around the corner.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Doncha just hate it when...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
Oh yeah, you can spot bum's a mile away. And they always have a story.
Had one on Friday night as the Mrs. and I were leaving a restaurant. I could tell by the look of him he was gonna approach the truck. He lifted his hand to say hi as he started walking my way - put the truck in drive and didn't even acknowledge him.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Oh yeah, you can spot bum's a mile away. And they always have a story.
Had one on Friday night as the Mrs. and I were leaving a restaurant. I could tell by the look of him he was gonna approach the truck. He lifted his hand to say hi as he started walking my way - put the truck in drive and didn't even acknowledge him.
You do your best to avoid them because it always feels a little bad to say know since you don't really know their situation, but we tell ourselves the money is just going to go to booze or drugs if we give it to them.
I had a teacher who used to keep a box of granola bars in their car to give to bums instead of money, you can't buy booze or drugs with a snack.

My mom's father in law is a bum now , well homeless ( again )  I should say since he's always been a bum.
His last work was as a carnie a few years ago, if you saw him walking done the street on a good day you could still tell he's a bum.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
One day years ago I stopped at the 7-11 near my house to get a cup of coffee and knew I would get approached by the bum who had staked that place out. When he approached me and asked for money, I asked him if he could give me some money and a couple of dollars would do. He got a deer in the headlights look and walked away. He and his friends never asked me for money again.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
One day years ago I stopped at the 7-11 near my house to get a cup of coffee and knew I would get approached by the bum who had staked that place out. When he approached me and asked for money, I asked him if he could give me some money and a couple of dollars would do. He got a deer in the headlights look and walked away. He and his friends never asked me for money again.
That's hilarious.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »

You do your best to avoid them because it always feels a little bad to say know since you don't really know their situation, but we tell ourselves the money is just going to go to booze or drugs if we give it to them.
I had a teacher who used to keep a box of granola bars in their car to give to bums instead of money, you can't buy booze or drugs with a snack.

My mom's father in law is a bum now , well homeless ( again )  I should say since he's always been a bum.
His last work was as a carnie a few years ago, if you saw him walking done the street on a good day you could still tell he's a bum.

There's no way to tell the how and why someone has gotten to the point that you see them. It could be legitimate (down-on-their-luck, medical insurance broke, etc) or a scam ("professional" bums who live off of the bleeding hearts of average people). I don't give money to anyone - not even friends lol - because you can't know where that money is going to end up. I don't want to be empowering someones addiction.
I try to help people when I can. If I witness a car wreck I stop and help. If I see a car fire I'll pull out my extinguisher. If someone's bleeding I pull out my first aid kit. But if someone walks up to me out of the blue asking for money I tell them no.
It's also why I hate taxes. You give your money to the state, because they say it'll go to fix the roads (a common lie). And then it goes to protect illegals or paint rainbows in the streets or whatever. The government should announce the needs it has, and then people who can help and want to help can do what they can to fill that need. I'm tired of just giving them money and the roads just get worse and crime gets worse and there's more homeless on the streets.