Author Topic: Cam-Loc and Loc-Rite wrench marking research  (Read 23013 times)

Offline bonneyman

Cam-Loc and Loc-Rite wrench marking research
« on: September 12, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
Original post modified:
I have about 15 Cam-Loc ratcheting box wrenches, and there are all different company names on them. Someone asked why, and my response was I didn't know why or when.
That was about 2 weeks ago. I've decided to try and run down the skinny on these anomalies, and post my results here. So far I've uncovered a couple of promising leads - don't know where they might lead, but I'm sure no one else has pursued this line of questioning. So, we might get alot of traffic to GG if it takes off.
I'm not an expert on these events. I'm just trying to piece together a history of tools I like. If anyone has some pertinent information, please share it. I'd love to know how things went.

If you accumulate Cam-Loc wrenches (the ones with the spring loaded pins that allow the flare wrench to "ratchet"), you've probably noticed a bunch of different names on them. For instance, SwageLok, Cam-Loc, Utica, Kelsey-Hayes, Bonney, TKF Co, Crawford Fitting, AC Filter Service, and others. I also have one spelled Cam-Lock (with a K). There is very little on the internet - AA's comments, a few "What's this?", and various posts that mention the odd roller pin design. Trying to track down specifics has been a bit tedious, but I have uncovered a few leads.

Let's get started.
Here are some pics of the variously-marked wrenches.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:33:07 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cam-Loc wrench research
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
It's fine here.

Good topic - thanks for being so thoughtful.

I don't have any so not much I can contribute.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Cam-Loc wrench research
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
10-4 I've sent a couple of emails, hopefully I'll get some usable info back.

Here's some of the more common brandings.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:02:45 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Cam-Loc and Loc-Rite wrench marking research
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »
Concerning Loc-Rite (the forged steel version of the Cam-Loc profile), these also reveal various markings. Obviously the same forgings - just different logo's.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:58:45 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
I went to the original patent for Cam-Loc - #2550010 - to see if I could glean any leads from it. It was applied for in 1949, and issued to Alfred Kavalar in 1951. He apparently lived in Detroit, Michigan. A lead!

Here's the patent, and some pics of the complex mechanism which it describes (although Kavalar himself claims the mechanism is simple and easy to duplicate!)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2550010?oq=2550010
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=2550010&typeCode=0

The Datamp citation lists a company called T.K.F. (also out of Detroit) as the manufacturer. And some of the wrenches are forged with TKF! I'm on to something!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
As far as I can tell, T.K.F. still exists (as TKF Conveyors). Originally the company manufactured laundry equipment prior to WW1, and the name came from the owners Timmerman, Kipp, and Foster. After WW2, they incorporated (1947) and specialized in the installation of brewery equipment, pasteurizers, and conveyor equipment.

http://tkf.com/about/history

I'm thinking such equipment needed to be leak-proof, and may have used the Kavalar invention to safely and properly seal their liquid manufacturing line fittings. Perhaps they were the first to utilize the wrench design? We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:05:12 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
GM (which were also in Detroit) probably used the wrench design for their assembly line work in the post war era.
UMS (for United Motor Service) was formed in 1917. It included Delco, Remy, and Klaxon among it's subsidiaries. Around 1945 UMS was elevated to a full-fledged GM division along side the auto mobiles and trucks.
Also around this time, Delco became focused on boosters and other brake components.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2016/07/Delco-Electronics/3749839.html

My suspicion is as they moved into mass-produced brakes (and their associated high-pressure hydraulic lines) tight fitting leak proof connections that could be easily done on the assembly line (and in the field) became a priority. Thus UMS under GM probably licensed the Cam-Loc design for their tools.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:06:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Along these same lines AC became officially connected to Delco in 1974 as AC-Delco. As the brake industry had been using the Cam-Loc successfully for almost 30 years by now it became quite obvious the design could be used on automotive air conditioning refrigerant lines as well.

My fathers 72 GM truck didn't have provisions for factory air conditioning but his 77 GM truck did. The wrenches marked "AC filter" could be talking about oil lines - but I'm leaning more towards the burgeoning a/c industry. That could help date those tools. I've never seen an AC filter Cam-Loc tool in any size but 5/8 x 3/4. Smaller wrenches for brakes wouldn't be needed (as other brands made those), and not being made in metric means the design didn't stay in production much past 1980. Just some educated guesses.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:35:19 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:24:19 PM »
Kelsey-Hayes was formed in 1927 from two wheel making companies. After weathering the Depression they began making brake components for Ford. In 1947 they acquired another brake company, and began supply power brake systems to several auto makers. (Again, another Detroit - and post-war - connection).  Thus the need for secure, leak proof hydraulic connections. Perhaps they, too, licensed the CL design.

https://hayesbrake.com/company/history/
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/kelsey-hayes-group-of-companies-history/
https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/96/Kelsey-Hayes-Group-of-Companies.html

They acquired Utica Forge in 1956, and Herbrand in 1961. Though I don't have any K-H marked Cam-Loc tools (I have seen them), their acquisition of Utica would have relieved them of the need to manufacture them.

They then acquired Bonney Tool in 1964, which is also the same time that Loc-Rite was patented (also by Alfred Kavalar). (Whether this newer patent obsoleted the older Cam-Loc is unknown, but CL wrenches were still manufactured under the Bonney and Utica brands until Bonney was closed in 1994.) This would explain the existence of K-H, Utica, and Bonney Loc-Rite wrenches. Kelsey-Hayes sold their tool divisions to Triangle Tools in 1967. When each Loc-Rite tool was made is not clearly known......

But I have a guess. Because Kelsey-Hayes already was making Cam-Loc design tools, they would recognize the significance of Loc-Rite's forged design - and jump right on it! (The patent does state them as the manufacturer.) Then - when they sold the tool divisions to Triangle a few years later - their own production would cease. The 1967 Bonney catalog doesn't list Loc-Rite on any tools - not even flare wrenches. In fact, I don't know when Triangle started producing Loc-Rite tools (though I vaguely recollect a claim from a 1970 Bonney catalog that Loc-Rite was "new" then). Though the Loc-Rite patent was owned by K-H, it was a tool patent, so, I'm sure it got sold along with the tool divisions.
I'm thinking Traingle had some "growing pains" getting the tooling and production of Loc-Rite tools up and running, which took several years. (During this time they'd sell NOS K-H and Utica marked tools). I'm quite certain manufacturing the dies and pull broaches - in quantity - took serious time. Receiving a patent is one thing - putting it into production is another. However, once under way I believe Loc-Rite was exclusive to Bonney (and later, Bonney-made contract tools).

Here's the Loc-Rite patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3125910?oq=3125910
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=3125910&typeCode=0

Datamps citation lists Kavalar as still in Detroit, and the manufacturer is K-H out of Romulus (a suburb of Detroit), Michigan.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:54:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Finally Swageloc gets it's mention. It's actually a two-part answer.
The company was founded by Fred Lennon and Cullen Crawford in 1947. Crawford had invented a new type of fitting to provide superior leak resistance in fluid couplings. Mr. Lennon bought Mr. Crawford out in 1948, and the company Swagelok continues to this day. Though originally in Cleveland, in 1965 SwageLok moved to Solon, Ohio. That dates those tools.

https://www.swagelok.com/en/About/Our-Founder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagelok

Mr. Crawford went on the found Tylok International (which also exists to this day) in the late 1950's with a double ferrule fitting design.

http://www.tylok.com/history

What I can't find even a whisper of is info on the tool! Though founded right around the same time as the invention of Cam-Loc (late 40's/early 50's), the "Solon" mark on the SwageLok tools couldn't be until after their move in 1965. So, they recognized the value of the wrench and their innovative fitting - and sat on it for almost 15 years?  And it's labeled "Crawford Fitting" - but he bought Crawford out in '48. :-[
Hopefully I can get some info from the company.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:39:23 AM by bonneyman »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 05:03:54 PM »
I just saw this torque adapter in a wrench lot on ebay. Is it an original item, or shop made? The weld looks plated the same as the wrench to me.

Greyson

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
I just saw this torque adapter in a wrench lot on ebay. Is it an original item, or shop made? The weld looks plated the same as the wrench to me.

Greyson

Hmm. Nice job, but I'm willing to bet that was shop modified. The logo Cam-Loc is cut off  - I don't think the factory would have done that. Although, Bonney did offer a specialty tool service - one where you could write Bonney with a proposal and specs for a special tool that they didn't already offer, and their engineering team would look at it and could make something up for you. It is possible they made that for a customer.

Though I have seen that little plug adapter before. Turned the flare wrench into a ratchet for sockets!  8)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:41:23 AM by bonneyman »

Offline RustFarmer

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »
Appreciate that info, Rusty!

Mr. Kavalar also had a patent for a convertible top device for Ford. After reading his obit, found out he worked for Ford Motor Company, and also Masland Corporation (who did car interiors). More of that Detroit connection.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:24:01 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:24 PM »
George, if it helps I have a CAM-LOC  GM U-M-S in 1/2-9/16" in the Striksonian.   Who or what was U-M-S ?