Author Topic: Cam-Loc and Loc-Rite wrench marking research  (Read 23070 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Cam-Loc and Loc-Rite wrench marking research
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
George, if it helps I have a CAM-LOC  GM U-M-S in 1/2-9/16" in the Striksonian.   Who or what was U-M-S ?

See reply #6 above for a full explanation. UMS (United Motor Services) was basically GM's division that took care of electric motors, switches, and relays. After WW2, the Delco part of that division took on brake components, and they needed tools to deal with the high-pressure hydraulic fittings.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:34 PM »
I need to read better then ...  lol!

So my wrench has a bit of history then.  Cool.  Which seem to be the hardest to find in the wild?  A bunch of types of markings and not too many for the open market.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »
I need to read better then ...  lol!

So my wrench has a bit of history then.  Cool.  Which seem to be the hardest to find in the wild?  A bunch of types of markings and not too many for the open market.

Surprisingly, Cam-Locs marked "Bonney" are the rarest that I've noticed. Probably because they were the last to start to be made, and the design was beginning to drop in sales by then - as they didn't make them in metric.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:44:45 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/kelsey-hayes-group-of-companies-history/

They acquired Utica Forge in 1956, and Herbrand in 1961. Though I don't have any K-H marked Cam-Loc tools (I have seen them), their acquisition of Utica would have relieved them of the need to manufacture them.

They then acquired Bonney Tool in 1964, which is also the same time that Loc-Rite was patented (also by Alfred Kavalar). (Whether this newer patent obsoleted the older Cam-Loc is unknown, but CL wrenches were still manufactured under the Bonney and Utica brands until Bonney was closed in 1994.) This would explain the existence of K-H, Utica, and Bonney Loc-Rite wrenches. Kelsey-Hayes sold their tool divisions to Triangle Tools in 1967.

But I have a guess. Because Kelsey-Hayes already was making Cam-Loc design tools, they would recognize the significance of Loc-Rite's forged design - and jump right on it! (The patent does state them as the manufacturer.) Then - when they sold the tool divisions to Triangle a few years later - their own production would cease. The 1967 Bonney catalog doesn't list Loc-Rite on any tools - not even flare wrenches. In fact, I don't know when Triangle started producing Loc-Rite tools (though I vaguely recollect a claim from a 1970 Bonney catalog that Loc-Rite was "new" then).
I'm thinking Traingle had some growing pains getting the tooling and production of Loc-Rite tools up and running for several years. (During this time they'd sell NOS K-H and Utica marked tools). I'm quite certain manufacturing the dies and pull broaches - in quantity - took serious time. Receiving a patent is one thing - putting it into production is another. However, once under way I believe Loc-Rite was exclusive to Bonney (and later, Bonney-made contract tools).

A slight tangent here.
If my assumption is true - that Loc-Rite (and possibly Cam-Loc) tools were still being sold by Triangle after the acquired Kelsey-Hayes because the tooling already exisisted - then that would also help explain certain other tools I have or have seen. For instance, take my black oxide aerospace wrenches marked Utica Loc-Rite. Since we know from their history that K-H was involved with aircraft from WW2 - and were heavily into jet engines in the 60's - it's only natural to assume they'd apply their newly-patented wrenching system to aircraft tools. The Loc-Rite broaching would have been perfect for high-torque, high-stress fasteners - in fact, it's AS954 specification rated (i.e. aerospace approved). So special wrenches were made specifically for plane engines - under their subsidiary Utica. The stylized branding of the black oxide wrenches is the same as other K-H tools I have, showing the connection. What's really surprising is these very same tools continued to be made all the way up until Bonney closed in 1994! My 1986 Bonney catalog shows these aerospace wrenches clearly marked Utica and Loc-Rite in the same stylized font.

I'm thinking that after its acquisition, Triangle kept the aerospace section tooling rolling to fill orders for the tools even though they were branded Utica. K-H had established its reputation and company contacts, so Triangle just kept the lines going, as demand was probably strong. Later on, however, this changed. The aerospace and flare wrenches in Loc-Rite were never done in metric - they were SAE only. Back in the 60's and 70's that was no biggie - AFAIK military and most domestic commercial jet engines were U.S.A. made. Unlike now where you're very likely to find foreign engines in many places. As metric fasteners became more prevalent - and more tool manufacturers started making aerospace-spec'd tools - the demand for SAE Utica tools dropped. Since Triangle had just kept the old tooling and never re-branded or modernized it, a drop in demand just meant production was rolled back.
Sad, because - if Triangle Tools had retooled and made these aerospace wrenches in metric - they would have made a killing! Though it's aerospace sales may have sagged, its automotive division would have skyrocketed. The influx of foreign cars, and modern ever-increasingly cramped engine compartments, would have car mechanics screaming to buy the tools. Snap-On calls them "high performance" wrenches - long, thin profile, zero offset, thick shank, with enhanced broaching that can reach tight nuts and bolts on cars. Basically they're just renamed aerospace wrenches!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:42:48 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
Going thru my picture files consolidating and cleaning things up, and came across a picture of three wrenches logos one on top of the other. Easier for comparative purposes.

Seems to make the case for the assumption that Utica Loc-Rite specialty tools were made for years after K-H's tool divisions' acquisition by Triangle Tools on the original K-H tooling. Why would Triangle make new forge dies in the old script? Unless all the examples of Utica Loc-Rite tools out there were forged between 1964 and 1967. Not likely.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:29:33 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »
Another twist in the story. I was just reminded that Snap-On had a version of Cam-Loc roller cam tools. Made from 1955 to 1962.
Since they used the Cam-Loc name - and the tool looks identical to original versions - either they licensed it from TKF or it was a copyright infringement.
Then for some reason they discontinued it. Could it be that TKF licensed it to S-O (as they had done to others) because they wanted all the royalties they could get? But then once Kelsey-Hayes got involved they decided to end those prior arrangements? Will have to do more digging.

http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php?page=wrenches/FW%20CAM-LOC%20Ratchet%20Wrench%20Series

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
Some more info.

Utica, though initially being founded as a tool and forging company, diversified later on. During WW2 they began making gas turbine engine vanes and parts. Though Kelsey-Hayes bought the tool side of things in 1956, the trubine parts division of the company continued to flourish. It was eventually bought by UC Holdings in 1995, which continued the turbine vane manufacture.
(I heard that Cooper Tools was only really interested in the Utica plier division when they bought out Triangle Tools, so, they must have sold the turbine division to UC but keeping the Utica pliers section alive. This seems to have been right around the time Bonney was shut down). Since Utica TW are still available, someone must have acquired their tool division and kept production going?  Perhaps APEX (who acquired it from Cooper) has it or sold it).
Utica still does alot of gas turbine sales, for power generation as well as aircraft engines. I've read that gas turbines (made by Rolls-Royce) are used in the newest stealth destroyers (U.S.S. Zumwalt and her sister ships).

https://industrytoday.com/article/hands-off/
https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/search?q=utica

Somehow Special Metals Corp got control of the trade-name Utica gave it's metals division back in the day - and Special Metals has an aerospace alloy division for turbine parts as well.

http://www.specialmetals.com/

Lot's of gas turbine action going on here. So, gas turbines must be a big industry!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:57:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 06:17:42 PM »
Well, one week on and not a single reply to any of my e-mails. I'm still holding out some hope, but I think most companies don't really care much about silly things like historical research.  ???

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
That's too bad. This is a pretty varied and interesting lineage.

Greyson

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
I'm just wondering what the present company does about tools. They still make the SwageLoc fittings - do they trust some other tool maker to make the wrench?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 10:31:59 PM »
I saw on the swagelok website they show these:

Who is oem for these? No mention of COO.

I have a SAE unbranded set, marked only "Made in USA" and a mil-spec P/N on the olive drab wrench roll. I also have the metric variants marked Proto. I know Caterpillar (Snap-On) carries an identical set with their name on them. I have also seen them sold by Wright and Armstrong as well.

Here OEM is listed as Stanley/Proto https://www.toolsource.com/individual-c-194_224_230_672_746/78-12point-flare-nut-ratcheting-wrench-p-108412.html
Have they always been OEM for them?

Facom now lists them in their catalog with a slightly different handle, but the head looks identical to all the others. I wonder if they are manufacturing under license?

https://catalogue.facom.com/se-en/categorie/fixed-and-variable-opening-wrenches/flare-nut-wrenches/ratchet-series/produit/70a-metric-ratchet-flare-nut-wrenches-sets

Here are wrenches identical to the Facoms with "Force" branding. Go figure. https://www.forcetools-kepmar.eu/Force-T50918-Ratchet-flare-nut-wrench-set-9pc

Astro (China I'm assuming) had been making (copying) the style, but appear to have stopped and moved to another more gimicky style. The old style are marked "PAT", so I'm assuming it was a venture under license.

Greyson

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
Yeah, I've sen those "split" flares as I call them. Bonney even offered them! :D

I have seen those last ones recently. Was kinda intrigued by the design. So far I have not run into a situation where my Loc-Rite solid Bonney flares would not work.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Well it's been three weeks and no answers to any of my 3 email inquiries. Guess nobody is interested in responding - or maybe nobody knows anything. Sad.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep plugging away on the web and see what else I can find.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Appreciate that info, Rusty!

Mr. Kavalar also had a patent for a convertible top device for Ford. After reading his obit, found out he worked for Ford Motor Company, and also Masland Corporation (who did car interiors). More of that Detroit connection.

A little more on Masland Corporation. They got bought out by Burlington Industries (i.e. carpeting) and then Lear Corporations (i.e car seats and interiors), which was sort of in-line with Masland's history of automotive interiors. Lear had gotten control of Ford's North America seat-making operation in 1993. (Though they had been making seats for Ford and others for decades getting full share of that industry must have been a boost. When A Kavalar made the jump from Ford to Masland we can only guess).

http://www.company-histories.com/Lear-Corporation-Company-History.html

Interview with one of the descendents.
https://cumberlink.com/news/local/masland-looks-back-over-area-industry-and-history/article_bdad23ca-9b9e-5f1b-a3b6-3cf99dd0e189.html

Here's a notice of the Masland Plant in Carlisle, Pennsyvania being closed down in 2008.

https://www.floordaily.net/floorfocus/former-masland-auto-carpet-plant-closes
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:24:01 PM by bonneyman »

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
Great job Bonneyman, you get three stars and a  8)