Author Topic: Matheson Gas Data Manual  (Read 4081 times)

Offline bonneyman

Matheson Gas Data Manual
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
After stokester posted his book find I figured I share a book I snagged a week ago at a local library book sale. About 3 times a year the county hosts a sale of discarded books that they've accumulated. You never know what you might find. The Mrs. always heads to the literature section - me, I hit the DIY and technical aisles.
Found this 1966 gas data book. Incredibly detailed text on toxicity, characteristics, first aid, etc. I took it because it had great data on the freons. But there are several gases listed that surprised me. I didn't know you could buy things like phosgene commercially. :-\
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:09:56 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Matheson Gas Data Manual
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:41:09 PM »
i never had it as a gas but used to be able to buy it in pellet form and when exposed to air they would release the phosgene gas and all that was left was dust.

well...... dust and dead bugs! :))

it worked great!  ;D ;D
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
When I did brazing on A/C systems any residual in the system would boil off with the heat and escape at the welded joints, turning all sorts of green and purple. And damn did that ever stink! You couldn't stay in the area if it was at all confined. The phosgene was just too irritating.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »
. But there are several gases listed that surprised me. I didn't know you could buy things like phosgene commercially. :-\
Not sure as I've been out of that industry for about six yrs now but there were several that when brought to our location were kept locked in a cage and if the boss decided locked to the delivery vehicle when out for delivery . Even the empties were treated as such.

I have several binders on welding and such. Gasses consumables equipment. All aimed at selling but still full of info.

I have some manuals from crane school, big truck driving and doing oil field stuff too. Not sure why I keep em but they are up in the attic. Good for a fire if it comes to that.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
. But there are several gases listed that surprised me. I didn't know you could buy things like phosgene commercially. :-\
Not sure as I've been out of that industry for about six yrs now but there were several that when brought to our location were kept locked in a cage and if the boss decided locked to the delivery vehicle when out for delivery . Even the empties were treated as such.

I have several binders on welding and such. Gasses consumables equipment. All aimed at selling but still full of info.

I have some manuals from crane school, big truck driving and doing oil field stuff too. Not sure why I keep em but they are up in the attic. Good for a fire if it comes to that.

That's what I buy books for - the info. I don't trust the internet - information can get changed or deleted - or you can't find it when you need it! Tangible assets are where it's at for me. I like being able to hold the thing in my hands.

Was reading a little about acetylene. The explosive limits are wide - from 2.5 to 81%! Geez, you just look at it funny and it could blow! :-\

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
I had one of those in the lab fro about 1974 on, great info.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:41 AM »
Found a pic of the AirGas manual.
My wife is always like, "why do you keep all this crap?". And I'm like ,"so I can think, I have that but have no clue where it is." I used to wonder why my dad couldn't remember stuff. Now I know why.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 02:05:12 PM »
Found a pic of the AirGas manual.
My wife is always like, "why do you keep all this crap?". And I'm like ,"so I can think, I have that but have no clue where it is." I used to wonder why my dad couldn't remember stuff. Now I know why.

Books - EMP proof!  ;D