Author Topic: Lane Splitting on a Motorcycle  (Read 5309 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Lane Splitting on a Motorcycle
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »
For you who ride in other states what are the rules about lane splitting?

In California it is allowed. There are some guidelines like keeping speeds to about 10 over traffic (up to the limit of course) but no specific speed although reckless driving can be given if you're too fast over prevailing traffic.

I know it makes a lot of non riders nervous and I hear lots of objections why people think it's dangerous (and many may have valid points) but as a rider I feel safer splitting lanes in traffic than being a sitting target in stop and go traffic.

So is it legal where you are?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Lane Splitting on a Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »
 When I road, would split lanes if a long line of traffic was creeping or stopped.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
Is it legal there?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
Do I do it when needed, even if it it not legal in my home state today? Yes, only to prevent overheating.

https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/motorcycle-lane-splitting-guidelines/

Did I do it while legal in Cali for many years? Yes. Did I fear for my life? Yes.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
I think being in fear to some extent is a good thing on a motorcycle while in traffic. No matter what you expect and are prepared for someone can at any moment do something unexpected.

Even though it is legal here I see drivers try to cut off bikes splitting the lane. One guy in stopped traffic opened his door in front of me. He was yelling at me about splitting lanes seemingly ignorant that is was illegal.

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »
I split lanes when I rode (also in California), but did so courteously.

I don't appreciate riders continuously rapping their obnoxiously loud pipes in my ear while splitting lanes. It tends to piss people off.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
I think being in fear to some extent is a good thing on a motorcycle while in traffic. No matter what you expect and are prepared for someone can at any moment do something unexpected.

Even though it is legal here I see drivers try to cut off bikes splitting the lane. One guy in stopped traffic opened his door in front of me. He was yelling at me about splitting lanes seemingly ignorant that is was illegal.

He was yelling cause he was pissed that he was stuck and you were not. Loads of cagers get mad at the riders .. jealous 

And when he was all done having a temper tantrum, of courser you drove on by :D

To answer the question, don't know never asked, just did it.

Loud pipes and motorcycles go hand and hand, just the way it is.
Pep
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:22:13 PM by pep »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 10:47:34 PM »
I split lanes when I rode (also in California), but did so courteously.

I don't appreciate riders continuously rapping their obnoxiously loud pipes in my ear while splitting lanes. It tends to piss people off.

Some pipes are unreasonably loud. In a way it's a safety thing loud pipes announce you're in the vicinity unless you're going at lightspeed like some of the riders.

He was yelling cause he was pissed that he was stuck and you were not. Loads of cagers get mad at the riders .. jealous 

Most likely you are exactly correct. But I'm sure given a moments thought he'd rather I pass than stuck behind all the riders that rode by if they were in cars ahead of him.

And when he was all done having a temper tantrum, of courser you drove on by :D

Ummm yes, once he closed the door I just rode on by even though I was very tempted to kick off his mirror.

I commuted about 35 miles each way on a bike for many years and part of the commute was on the 405 going south from the Ventura freeway to a little past the 10 freeway. If you're familiar it's one of the worst stretches in LA. There was an LAPD motor cop who commuted much of the way about the same time as I did and if I could I'd get behind him often there were several other riders in row behind him. One day a guy saw a bike and I suppose didn't realize it was a cop and kept trying to block him. Once the cop get next to the guy he pointed to him to pull over. Not sure what happened but my guess is it was a behavior changing event for that driver.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »
You take you life in your hands when you do this...yes I`ve done it but people in their tin cans are so unpredictable.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
I never did it because if felt like I was cutting the line. Kinda like someone driving down the shoulder to avoid traffic back ups.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »
Don't know that l have done it, possibly in my youth, don't know that's it's legal. Scares me when I see it done.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
I did it all the time in CA when I still rode. I even got in a race with a girl on a CBR1000 doing it in the bay area.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
I never did it because if felt like I was cutting the line. Kinda like someone driving down the shoulder to avoid traffic back ups.

No not really, cause one is not blocking the access for the EMS & Police. As the morons that pull that shoulder stunt are.

Pep
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:16:06 PM by pep »

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
Illegal here in PA, as it should be in my opinion.

California is the only state to drop the law against lane splitting.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
Back in my riding days I would do it, but back then I was bulletproof. Now I understand that I'm on my own when it comes to my safety so I would probably refrain from doing it now.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
It can be a white knuckle ride at times. But riding in general can be white knuckle. Not to trivialize the danger but my view is it's harder to hit a moving target. People can be horrible motorists and like anyone who rides have seen some hair raising behavior. Makeup, shaving, reading books or newspapers, phones, getting dressed even activities best done in private both with partners and solo.