Author Topic: check in friends.  (Read 38530 times)

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
Re: check in friends.
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »
 :33:
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Woke up to these peaceful scenes out the back deck.

Reminds me of growing up in Michigan.  When I was a teenager in the '80s I was out every day on my paper route, rain, shine or snow!

Builds character and a work ethic -- good for you!

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »

Reminds me of growing up in Michigan.  When I was a teenager in the '80s I was out every day on my paper route, rain, shine or snow!
Are you a mail carrier now?  ;)
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 03:10:08 PM »
Doing well, staying at the house but live in a close development. Even right now I'm 6 feet away from my computer.  :smiley_confused1:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 11:42:41 PM »

Are you a mail carrier now?  ;)

Nope, but a friend in the West Branch area up north works for the post office.  But he hasn't done a route in awhile.

It's amazing how easy it is to deal with cold AF temperatures when you're young, but you lose that ability as you get older.  At least I have.   :93:
boop/bop/beep

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 06:04:38 AM »
Nope, but a friend in the West Branch area up north works for the post office.  But he hasn't done a route in awhile.

It's amazing how easy it is to deal with cold AF temperatures when you're young, but you lose that ability as you get older.  At least I have.   :93:
I agree!

I was raised in western and central NY state; Buffalo and Syracuse. Lots of snow and temps below 0F were not uncommon. In fact, I would gleefully watch for it to dip below 0F through the heavily frosted storm windows.

I loved to down hill ski, and liked the challenge of forging out through the snow covered roads.

Yesterday, I found my thoughts wandering to me in a hammock somewhere in the sun in the Florida panhandle, being served a Gin and Tonic by a beautifuly tanned young lady with almost no .... then I woke up!  :015: :(
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline zktk01

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
Doing fine here glad i went to Costco and stocked up on TP in January now, still none to be had on shelves in my area.
work has been deemed essential so for now the pay check will come in, until they need to reduce staff if this continues for much longer.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 09:21:31 AM »
wife is still at work at the school. only three of them there though. she has been set up to work from home bu they are still cleaning up things that can't be done remotely.

aaron and i. we are working on machinery, waxing tractors and generally hunkered down. we go on our occasional scavenger hunt for parts, supplies and groceries but only every few days. he forewarned me that tomorrow is his big day when  for online college classes that are just getting cranked back up.

we are eating good. no  :spam1: yet, but then i like  :spam1: !
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »
We are doing fine, and for once am glad we had a wake-up call about a year ago. Some of you may remember this thread....

http://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=1711.0

That COSTCO incident and the various responses in that thread caused the Mrs. and I to load up our basement with some basic necessities to survive for at least a month. Little did we know that we would need some of that stash within just a few months. While we don't consider ourselves preppers in the same sense that those fundamentalist COSTCO shoppers were, it started a much needed conversation between the wife and I. Glad we followed through, and this will be part of our lifestyle from now on.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the link GF as we had the important conversation last year and little did we know it would be very relevant now.
Fortunately the wife and I got our prescriptions filled just a couple weeks ago with a 90 day supply. I also refill as soon as insurance will allow and build up a few days extra reserve every time.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
Back in the day we called it normal to have a pantry of food.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 02:08:36 PM »
Back in the day we called it normal to have a pantry of food.
Yup, our grandparents who went through the depression considered emergency stocks as a normal occurrence. As in many things these days, we can learn a lot from their practices and experience.

My grandma canned veggies and made jams/jellies even in her late 80s. Didn’t have to, but it was part of her yearly routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
Wife and myself went to closest town today, 13 miles, 250 people, grocery store, bank, dollar general, hardware store, couple of gas stations, and met one other truck on the way.  Very few people in town. Grocery had no paper products, little bread (one per) rationed bleach (one per) but most other items needed to eat.  First trip out in 10 days.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Geez, made a store run - what a pain! Not only are the stores running reduced hours (and every one different!), they're now only letting in a certain number of people at a time. So, you stand in line, waiting to get in - to even see if they have what you need!  :a102:
I prepared for 2-3 weeks some time ago, and am only going to the store to fill in holes in our stash as we make them. Not gonna wait in line like communist Russia waiting to see if they have bread today.  Pretty soon we need gov permission slips to even go out. :P