Author Topic: Give me your general screwdriver thoughts and experiences  (Read 10527 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Give me your general screwdriver thoughts and experiences
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
So what are some driver sizes and such you consider necessary, and some that may come in larger sets which you'd consider unnecessary or just filler for the average person ?

If you work on older cars, small 2/4 stoke engines, and/or electronics, you'll need a larger set. Varied flat blade sizes are especially needed on older equipment. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
I ran into Reed Prince screws holding a carburetor body together on a golf cart. My friend wondered why the phillips driver didn't fit very well. I consider a Reed Prince driver a must in every arsenal. H&S, Craftsman made a RP driver as I have one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »
Interesting.
I think R&P is something a lot of people probably haven't even heard of.

I'm not sure I even have any R&P bits, I have what look like R&P but are kind of twisted and I have some pozidriv bits but not any R&P I don't believe.
I may just see if Chapman offers any R&P bits, no sense taking up space with a whole screwdriver until I find myself actually needing them.

Anyone else find that they don't often use the long cabinet tip drivers ?
I have a few which I have yet to use a single time in the past 6 years or so.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »
The cabinet tips work great for pulling jets out of old carbs. Some of the old carbs have jets down in the bottom of a well and the straight tip cabinet drivers are the only ones that work

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
The cabinet tips work great for pulling jets out of old carbs. Some of the old carbs have jets down in the bottom of a well and the straight tip cabinet drivers are the only ones that work
I'll keep that in mind when I ever get into any diy automotive work.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 10:12:03 PM »
As far as recommending what styles and tips it all depends on the line of work you'll be doing with them. Typical "sets" don't tend to be helpful in that regard, as manufacturers put the sets together with drivers that will fit most wallets, not usage.

One thing I can say is make sure you have a nice set of small and micro drivers. For many electronic things tiny drivers are a must. You will find alot of great tiny drivers (and other tools) here:

https://www.micromark.com/

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 11:36:17 PM »
As far as recommending what styles and tips it all depends on the line of work you'll be doing with them. Typical "sets" don't tend to be helpful in that regard, as manufacturers put the sets together with drivers that will fit most wallets, not usage.

One thing I can say is make sure you have a nice set of small and micro drivers. For many electronic things tiny drivers are a must. You will find alot of great tiny drivers (and other tools) here:

https://www.micromark.com/
Precision screwdrivers are definitely good to have.
I currently have a set of US Craftsman precision screwdrivers that seemed like winners when I bought them, but the handles have already snapped on 3 of the smaller ones under minor torque.

I'm thinking of trying out some Moody precision drivers from HJE, but have no experience with the company.I like the type with the spinning cap, and will get some in this style I might just get some Pratt-Read precision drivers too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:30:07 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 12:16:57 AM »
At $17 shipped for a 6pc set of Pratt-Read precision screwdrivers I went ahead and bought them.
They match the essential series set I got in last week and I like those handles, so it's a win win I guess.

I do still need some of the more professional type with the long shanks and spinning cap and such, but I need a storage shed so I can make some room around here so those will have to wait.

Besides the rest of my Craftsman set is holding up just fine for now, I will replace them for sure though because at this point I just don't trust the handles not to snap.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:31:08 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »
Proto has been well represented in this thread, but I have to say it. The Proto Duratek drivers are exceptional. I got one of the promo sets back before they came out and they pretty much relegated all my other drivers to back up duty.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 02:27:41 AM »
Proto has been well represented in this thread, but I have to say it. The Proto Duratek drivers are exceptional. I got one of the promo sets back before they came out and they pretty much relegated all my other drivers to back up duty.

I've heard great things.
Aesthetically not my style because I prefer classic or old school for my tools, but I have seen these tested with all kinds of chemicals and the handles did not deteriorate.
( Yes I am dumb enough to not want a tool because it looks futuristic )
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:52 AM »

I've heard great things.
Aesthetically not my style because I prefer classic or old school for my tools, but I have seen these tested with all kinds of chemicals and the handles did not deteriorate.
( Yes I am dumb enough to not want a tool because it looks futuristic )

Hey, I'm right there with ya!
I saw a vid where the guy soaked Duratek drivers in ATF, acetone, brake fluid, used motor oil, etc and the handles came out unscathed. Cool...but I didn't buy any.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »
In the 60's & 70's I discovered Craftsman tools, so my first purchases were CM.

I have more CM screw drivers than others, but I have the classic black handled Snap-On that are just like the Williams mentioned above. I also have a set of Hazet that get used a lot. Thet have a feel of quality about them.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
When I did commercial AC I used Proto yellow handles. I would find them cheap at garage sales and flea markets with good tips and I put them back to use. But, I always loved the old MAC/Irwin woodies and used them at home. They just feel so good, especially with oily hands. So, when I went over to ATT, who supplied all the tools, I sent all my Proto yellowboys to Bonneyman. And found that Wilde still offered that MAC style woodie. Got some of them, and then got some Grace gunsmithing drivers with the same handle and. But I also loved the old Proto woodies and one day I found these one day on CL:

The guy I bought them from was left them by his father, who had been a tool salesman to industrial facilities. Those were his old sales samples.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
Wow Aaron, those are a fantastic set of drivers. Lucky guy.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
Typed a response a few days ago and apparently forgot to hit post :38:

Darn those Proto woodies are sweet!!

I like Snap on screwdrivers alot, likely my favorite.  Right  behind them are the Witte made for matco and cornwell.  I bought a set at a sale that were so greasy, you could hardly tell they were orange.  They were obviously the guys go to drivers.  They cleaned up nicely and the tips were perfect.  I have since put a few singles on my pegboard at home and like them a lot.

The Proto yellow handles are good also as well as my set of Mac red handles.

Not much on the Cman WF drivers though they sell well for me.

Like the Matco burgundy handles that Gary likes so much.

As to the cabinet tips, I have a few Snappy's that get used from time to time.  Expensive but handy when needed.

I have a Snappy tri lobe #2 phillips that was my Dad's that also hang on my pegboard.

I personally don't care about matched sets, they are nice, but I would rather buy used and have many and save a few bucks, but that is me.

Hickory, you are building a nice collection of tools and I like that you are trying to stay US made.