Author Topic: Give me your general screwdriver thoughts and experiences  (Read 10519 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Give me your general screwdriver thoughts and experiences
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »
When I did commercial AC I used Proto yellow handles. I would find them cheap at garage sales and flea markets with good tips and I put them back to use. But, I always loved the old MAC/Irwin woodies and used them at home. They just feel so good, especially with oily hands. So, when I went over to ATT, who supplied all the tools, I sent all my Proto yellowboys to Bonneyman. And found that Wilde still offered that MAC style woodie. Got some of them, and then got some Grace gunsmithing drivers with the same handle and. But I also loved the old Proto woodies and one day I found these one day on CL:

The guy I bought them from was left them by his father, who had been a tool salesman to industrial facilities. Those were his old sales samples.
Those Wilde drivers are actually made by Grace, wanted to get some recently but the lack of a Stubby #2 held me back.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »
Typed a response a few days ago and apparently forgot to hit post :38:

Darn those Proto woodies are sweet!!

I like Snap on screwdrivers alot, likely my favorite.  Right  behind them are the Witte made for matco and cornwell.  I bought a set at a sale that were so greasy, you could hardly tell they were orange.  They were obviously the guys go to drivers.  They cleaned up nicely and the tips were perfect.  I have since put a few singles on my pegboard at home and like them a lot.

The Proto yellow handles are good also as well as my set of Mac red handles.

Not much on the Cman WF drivers though they sell well for me.

Like the Matco burgundy handles that Gary likes so much.

As to the cabinet tips, I have a few Snappy's that get used from time to time.  Expensive but handy when needed.

I have a Snappy tri lobe #2 phillips that was my Dad's that also hang on my pegboard.

I personally don't care about matched sets, they are nice, but I would rather buy used and have many and save a few bucks, but that is me.

Hickory, you are building a nice collection of tools and I like that you are trying to stay US made.

I just have a thing for US made.
Growing up the only tools I had access to were bottom of the barrel junk, but now that I have a choice I'm going American made as much as possible.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
What do you guys like for American made precision screwdrivers ?

I've been interested in trying out Moody tools.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 07:21:30 PM »
I fully admit that I am addicted to screwdrivers. I have hundreds of them, lol
Snap-on, Craftsman, Klein...
My current daily use drivers are the red handled Tektons with black oxide shank, and a Snap-on pocket flathead.
Prior to that, I was using a set of wood handled Felos. If I have a bunch of locks to rekey I will use my Milwaukee impact.
I also love my Enderes 4 in 1 and 6 in 1 drivers.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Industrial-Brands-100P-8MD-Williams-Screwdriver-Set-8-Pieces/273858536296?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I'll admit I'm an impulse buyer. I had some ebay bux burning a hole so these were ordered.

I also like the look of the tekton red handle.
https://www.tekton.com/phillips-slotted-hard-handle-screwdriver-sets?piece-count=16-pc&blade-finish=chrome

Mostly I have the craftsman, but there are ideal, klein, snap on, and others in my drawer. I have a favorite powr craft acetate handle that was my dads so it has sentimental value for me.

One of my older driver drawers.

My main driver drawer.

A set of Snap On i bought one day, I told you im an impulse buyer.

My mobile bag for field work.

Another impulse buy. chinesium cm but they make good loaners, you can see the price there

My favorite Snap On are the hard handle. Just feel good in my hand.

My favorite Green Hard handle snappy

Klien, I use them mostly for field work as they are easily replaced if lost or stolen

Not sure I have too many but definitely not a shortage. I learned early on wrecking a fastener with a screwdriver sucked so I always tried to buy quality drivers. I cant wait for the williams hard handles to show up.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
Those Williams hard handles do look nice.
I have generally not much liked handle profiles on the square side like this, so I'd have to pick one up cheap or something and play with it a bit first.

One thing I know is that when I first held one of the Stanley 100 plus drivers my instant thought was this just feels right.

I'm sure it all depends on what  your working on but I have found I like a handle closer to the round side or with a round area that's easy to spin with my fingers.
One of the reasons I have clung to the Craftsman's so long I suppose.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »

I personally don't care about matched sets,
I purposely bought different color hard handles, orange flat blade, blue # 2 philips etc

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »

I personally don't care about matched sets,
I purposely bought different color hard handles, orange flat blade, blue # 2 philips etc

Great idea Walrus and I like that. :great:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 10:56:25 PM »
Make that 2 likes, walrus. Smart idea.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 11:48:12 PM »
That does sound like a good idea though I wouldn't want all different handle shapes or brands.

One thing I do like about the Craftsman's is that the standards are blue and red while the Phillips are just blue , they and the varying handle sizes makes it easier to know what's what if they were say sticking out of a tool bag.
Of course a lot of modern screwdrivers these days are marked on the butt with the size or just a color so you know what's what, not that my current use at a workbench really demands it when I can just keep them in a specific order or even just see the tips.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 12:22:26 AM »
I have a Stanley set of all sizes  in addition to my old standard of a no. 2 Philly and one flat out for regular use.  Usually random stuff that lasts.  The electrical kit has its specific stuff that near never sees use anymore  and a set of tiny bits that rarely see daylight except in extreme tiny cases.

Only the one has a name, none are US made but one is in the colors of a US flag with blue stars. 
Meh, good enough for my needs.

Base level tools that last don't need a pedigree.  Theses go years without wearing out.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
They have arrived!

In a plastic bag with a snap.

Laid out.

Another angle

Compared to the Snap On

Another comparison

One more

I really like them. They feel just like the snappy but are different enough not to be exactly like the snappy.
Nice Set.

Rich

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 06:44:46 PM »
Those are the same as Snap-on. The texture may have been altered a little but Williams is owned by Snap-on and Williams only started these under their name after Snap-on Introduced the Instinct line. Initially the pattern was dropped from the main SO line until demand generated a reintroducing it back into the line and at that time started pushing the colored handles.

Snap-on has a long history of retiring a pattern only to resurrect it under another brand. Done it with Par-X, Blue Point, Williams, and some of the other Snap-on brands. I think it's a pretty a very smart move. The tooling is done and paid for, the non recurring engineering amortized, the design proven and revisions for cost savings, product enhancements,  warranty claims, etc already done.

If you are willing I'd like to see close ups of the tips.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
For the last 30+ yrs, I’ve used nothing but the Witte electrically insulated screwdrivers.
jack

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »
Love that Snap-On/Williams handle shape. If I were starting over again I'd get a set or two of those!  :great:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:53:44 PM by bonneyman »