Author Topic: 460 Channellocks do the job  (Read 2556 times)

Offline DeadNutz

460 Channellocks do the job
« on: May 08, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
I bought a new 4lb Del Monte Citrus Salad that the wife likes. The 4-1/2" diameter plastic lid would not loosen for anything. I go out to the shop and grab the 460's and the lid surrendered easy. Those pliers are one of my favorite tools. :great:

Offline bmwrd0

Re: 460 Channellocks do the job
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:49:59 PM »
Heh. When I was 16, I severed the tendon to my right thumb, and even though they sewed it right back up, I have never had great strength with that hand. Which, as I am right handed, kinda sucks. So early on I learned to use mechanical advantage in things like this. Freaks my wife out though, she thinks its going to be all dirty.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »
Heh. When I was 16, I severed the tendon to my right thumb, and even though they sewed it right back up, I have never had great strength with that hand. Which, as I am right handed, kinda sucks. So early on I learned to use mechanical advantage in things like this. Freaks my wife out though, she thinks its going to be all dirty.
hmm. When I was about 10 I had a similar injury to  my left  thumb. I have good strength  but I cant open it all the way. It is habit and I dont even realize it but when I grab larger things I push my thumb open.  Most people dont know it and I rarely notice myself. The only time it bothers me is when I have to do some intricate work. It will start to ache.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
thought the 460's were big ones and looked it up, 16 1/2 inches. 

Certainly a tool every box should have.  They were the first big pair of pliers I owned and they truly were a favorite.  I always said, once you latch onto something with those, it stays latched onto :))

Have a pair at shop, truck and home shop. 

Actually, they would make a great gift to most any young person who at least uses some tools around the house and certainly to one who uses tools more often. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »

Certainly a tool every box should have.  They were the first big pair of pliers I owned and they truly were a favorite.  I always said, once you latch onto something with those, it stays latched onto :))

Actually, they would make a great gift to most any young person who at least uses some tools around the house and certainly to one who uses tools more often. 

I keep a 460 in the go box and one in the shop. I gave a pair in the Secret Santa a couple of years ago. Yes, everybody should have one of these most useful tools.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
I have two pairs down here!

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 11:22:47 AM »

I keep a 460 in the go box and one in the shop. I gave a pair in the Secret Santa a couple of years ago. Yes, everybody should have one of these most useful tools.
I was the the person who received those pliers and I use them quite often . Thanks :cool2:.. old rotted coolant hoses twist right off with them

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
Had a pair for years.  Used to have 2 pair, one at work, one in my home box.  One day I forgot to lock my box at lunch, had a new guy we were getting suspicious of,  late in the afternoon,  they werent in the drawer.  Every tool had a specific spot in a specific drawer.  Hope he liked them as much as I did.  He was fired for general reasons soon after.