Author Topic: Photo Hosting (yet again)  (Read 3195 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Photo Hosting (yet again)
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:42 PM »
As a refugee from Photobucket I went with Flikr. Overall I like it but have run into limits on storage. I probably could setup another account and work around that way but it's against their TOS and I prefer to stay within the rules. In a practical sense I'd run up against the same issue sooner anyway. A pro account is 60/yr and while not a lot of money it's a lot of money for what I need and use. Most of the features I'm just not interested in - my use is hosting pix mainly to post here. I can (and do) sometimes use this site to host the pix but others I prefer to embed the pix between text which I can't do with the site hosted pix plus I can post slightly larger images.

So anyone have any suggestions or advice?

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Photo Hosting (yet again)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:00:49 PM »
This is what I use.
https://postimages.org/
You can create a free account or use it without an account.

Just hit the link
Hit choose images
Choose your picture and upload it
Once done hit the blue icon at the hotlink for forums to copy it then paste it here.

It's the easiest there is, but while I have a decent number of photos on my account I dont know how much you can host as I stopped logging in to host my pictures.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:20:17 PM »
 :1rij:   :13:
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
I prefer to embed the pix between text which I can't do with the site hosted pix

It can be done but it's really clunky. Have to upload the image as attachment first then grab the URL and put it between I M G tags.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »
I've been using https://imgur.com/ for years. Pretty decent UI and plenty of options, especially for a free site. I have well over 2500 pics and increasing, and I don't think there's a limit. You can download all you images with one click to back things up as well. Set pics to private when uploaded or you'll get tons of dumb comments from the interweb dweebs that dwell there.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »

It can be done but it's really clunky. Have to upload the image as attachment first then grab the URL and put it between I M G tags.

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is a little extra work but could be a good option.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
I've been using https://imgur.com/ for years. Pretty decent UI and plenty of options, especially for a free site. I have well over 2500 pics and increasing, and I don't think there's a limit. You can download all you images with one click to back things up as well. Set pics to private when uploaded or you'll get tons of dumb comments from the interweb dweebs that dwell there.

Thanks for responding. I have been wondering about them.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
I've tried many when photobucket screwed me, and postimage works best for me, and it's the easiest there is.
Works for me, but I don't know enough to know what potential downsides there might be.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the response. Yes, it is a little extra work but could be a good option.

"Good" is a stretch, but it's really the only current option to prevent pictures from being "disappeared" by external sites. Does look like there are photo gallery add ons for SMF if Rusty is bored...........

https://www.smfhacks.com/smf-gallery.php

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »
The permanence is the part I find good.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 06:17:09 PM »
If you are posting off a mobile device Tapatalk allows you to upload photos and insert them into the text. They are effectively hosted by Tapatalk. Sometimes I'll start a post using my phone so it can  upload the photos and just put an X  where I'm going to write text, then post it and edit using my laptop so I have a full size keyboard.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »
Thank you! I use a camera normally to take pix and mostly use a desktop, sometimes a laptop. Not sure if TT is compatible.