Author Topic: Major disappointment at Walmart  (Read 2393 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Major disappointment at Walmart
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:14:30 PM »
Before you say anything,  yes I know its Walmart.

They still have the Wilde made Hyper Tough handle pry bars at this time, but they have gotten rid of all channellock pliers and Vaughan / Dasco pry bars in favor of their shameless use of the Hart name.
Black and decker has had a poor reputation for a long time now, buttheir current lithium cordless power tools are just fine for a DIY'er like me so I was thinking  of picking up an 18v cordless screw gun to go with my drill.
All they had was Hart branded so all I walked out with was a 36" Wilde pry bar for $20.

You guys may know I have a bit of a " special " interest in hammers and my first was a Hart farmer my dad gave me.
I hold a special spot for Hart tools, and to see the name of a once great American hammer manufacturer used on shitty Chinese hand tools and power tools is a real shame.

To see American made tools taken off the shelf in favor of Chinese garbage is even worse.

I was glad to see that Arrow now owns the Power shot stapler and is making them in the US, always loved the power shot and was going to grab one for $20 but decided to hold off.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Major disappointment at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:38:52 PM »
Well not to stick up for walmart, but.......

I dont think walmart owns the hart name. Not sure who but tti maybe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:30:42 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:36:33 PM »
SK is correct Hart is owned by TTI (Techtronic Industries) - not be confused with TTI, Inc (the electronics company formerly known as Tex-Tronics).

TTI is based in Hong Kong and is also the manufacturer of Ridgid power tools although they do not own the name. Other TTI brand names are mostly all familiar -  Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Homelite, Empire, Stiletto, Hoover US, Oreck, Vax, and Dirt Devil.

TTI, Inc (the electronics company) is owned Berkshire Hathaway - Warren Buffett.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:11 PM »
Interesting,  thanks for the info.

I'm still disappointed with Walmart in their decision to replace American made tools with this Chinese stuff, especially considering their supposed commitment to American manufacture and the surprising number of their store brand products that are made or at least assembled in the USA.
I hope they continue their Hyper Tough brand , it was a good source for these Wilde pry bars as well as US made ( I suspect contico ) plastic tool boxes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:34:31 PM »
SK is correct Hart is owned by TTI (Techtronic Industries) - not be confused with TTI, Inc (the electronics company formerly known as Tex-Tronics).

TTI is based in Hong Kong and is also the manufacturer of Ridgid power tools although they do not own the name. Other TTI brand names are mostly all familiar -  Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Homelite, Empire, Stiletto, Hoover US, Oreck, Vax, and Dirt Devil.

TTI, Inc (the electronics company) is owned Berkshire Hathaway - Warren Buffett.

i think it is somewhat funny that there are so many die hard milwaukee guys that throw stanley black and decker/dewalt under the bus yet tti is the same shit only different. at least sbd makes/assembles a fair amount of stuff here and seem to be heading the way of making more.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »

i think it is somewhat funny that there are so many die hard milwaukee guys that throw stanley black and decker/dewalt under the bus yet tti is the same shit only different. at least sbd makes/assembles a fair amount of stuff here and seem to be heading the way of making more.

Just about all cordless tools are Chinese these days anyways, and I'm pretty sure the batteries are really where they get you.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 03:17:36 AM »
To add to JAFE’s comments, In my tool reviewing days I got to interact with the marketing people from many different companies. Some were great, some were terrible. Without throwing anyone under the bus I will say this. SBD people were great to work with. Some companies wanted total control over what was said. I’ve been out of the business for awhile so things could certainly have changed, but you could always tell who the shills were because you knew the conditions they had to accept if the were covering certain stuff.

Some companies, especially some of the smaller companies, had a “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” type approach. I get that. Smaller companies feel the brunt of bad press much more than the big boys. They don’t have the clout or the range of unique products to keep anyone in their pocket, but they need good marketing as much as everyone else, if not more.

With SBD, at least all the guys I dealt with, they sent you their stuff and encouraged you to be honest. No strings attached. If you like it, say so, if you don’t, tell us why. I had pretty solid contacts with Proto and Mac (even got Mac to sponsor a Christmas giveaway here one year) and they were all great people to deal with. They were very receptive to criticism and seemed genuinely interested in using feedback to improve. I got to have R&D stage input on a couple of big time projects and they really tried to make me feel like my opinion mattered in that rather than try to tell me why their tool was great, they took the time to ask how to make it great.

Hart is just a name offered up on a exclusivity deal and made to the price point Wal-Mart was willing to cough up. Even if the tools suck, the enhanced name recognition and volume is a win for SBD.

Demand controls supply and the fact is most people are willing to settle for shitty quality tools at a shitty tool price. People aren’t buying low grade shit because it’s all that’s available, they’re buying it because that’s what people are willing to pay for. I don’t make a living with my tools, but I value quality. Is it stupid for me to pay Proto prices for a tool I only use occasionally? Maybe, but It makes me happy, so f$&k it. Lord willing, my grandkids will be using my tools long after I’m gone. I don’t always buy this “It’s all I could afford” shit either. It’s one thing not to pay $200 for a Snap-On ratchet, it’s another to buy a $10-15 pair of Asian pliers when you could have gotten a solid pair of Channellock brand pliers for $20 or so. How people spend their money is their business, but I had a buddy tell me one time I was nuts for spending $110 on a set of Norseman drill bits. He carries his lunch to work in a $250 Yeti cooler bag and drives an extra 4 miles to save 2 cents a gallon on gas. Everybody’s got their priorities I guess.

Wait until Black Friday, snag a Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Makita drill for under $100, and you’ll never go back to a cheap ass drill. I have a Makita I keep in my truck box for camping or whatever comes up. I found it on clearance with 2 big batteries for $49 at HD.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
The guy who sold me my Dewalt grinder and wheels for a great price buys very large quantities of tools and rents or sells them. He supplies trailers or containers of all power/hand tools needed for major construction projects all over the world. He quit supplying Milw. power tools after they went Chinese as the durability tanked. But he has some customers who want those even though he advises against it. To give you an idea of the quantities he buys I got flap and grinding wheels for 1/2 the price of the big box stores as he buys 20,000 at a time.

H&S, I didn't know that Walmart now has the 36" pry bar. I will have to look for one.