Author Topic: Oil Prices  (Read 9857 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Oil Prices
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »
Yeah, I heard oil prices went negative yesterday. 

I think I have seen $1.79 or so around here but I am not driving as much so really don't pay attention.  IMO, if gas is $2.50 or so, everybody makes out ok. 

Walrus, I hear you about inside sales.  I normally visit a C store once a day or so, now it's once a week.  One of my customers hauls fuel to a very large chain here and 2 weeks ago they were off by 60%

World oil glut is going to be a major problem for a while.  Maybe we should all buy big SUV's to help out :))

Hard to believe there is a glut of meat being as I don't see it at the supermarket.  Not saying I doubt anyone because I don't, just don't see it. 

This world is changing big time, it will be interesting to see what long term changes are to come.  Thinking my nice comfy retirement is going to look different, but that's ok.  I am so glad I am a believer and put my trust in God.  He will get us through though things will look different for sure.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
here is the story on pork phil. these major pork plants process 10's of thousands of head a day. i would say  every day 10 pot belly semis roll down I-29 headed to the smithfield plant in sioux falls sd. mostly out of canada. that is from just one direction on one road. it is  highly mechanised but still a labor intensive process. 

literally every part of that hog other than the squeal is used for something. storing, sorting packaging and processing take up a huge amount of space. lots of refrigeration and freezing warehouse space. my local processing plant. does it on a smaller scale obviously.  even if he had the help i doubt he could process one load a week. he just doesn't have the room to store the carcass, store  dispose of the waste (which has little value because he can't utilize it all and has no market for it if he could). a truck comes on a schedule to pick up his waste which does get used for something but he makes little if anything from it. he is inspected but doesn't meet all the bells and whistles for a full federal inspection that would allow him to buy live hogs and sell them. he can only process animals  for me to sell to someone else or animals the consumer buys for his own use.

in a nutshell, the hogs are there, the trucks to move them are there and  the consumer wants and needs them but a lot of the capacity to turn that pig into a pork roast, bacon, loin or ribs is shut  down. there are not enough small town locker plants to even put a dent in the supply.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
Thanks Harlan!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
this one may be easier to understand phil. i can send you a bushel of wheat. i have plenty. with that you and the mrs can make enough bread for months. the trouble is that you probably don't have a  away to grind it in to flour and if you do  you can't get an yeast to make it rise.

i think that explains why people are so interested in sourdough bread starters now.

i read an article the other day talking about how we may not starve to death but we may become undernourished and won't know it till after it happens. many of our fruits and vegetables still require a lot of hand labor. fruit and vegetable growers in places are already having trouble. the people they need can't get to  where they need to be to pick the crops before they spoil.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »
this one may be easier to understand phil. i can send you a bushel of wheat. i have plenty. with that you and the mrs can make enough bread for months. the trouble is that you probably don't have a  away to grind it in to flour and if you do  you can't get an yeast to make it rise.

i think that explains why people are so interested in sourdough bread starters now.

i read an article the other day talking about how we may not starve to death but we may become undernourished and won't know it till after it happens. many of our fruits and vegetables still require a lot of hand labor. fruit and vegetable growers in places are already having trouble. the people they need can't get to  where they need to be to pick the crops before they spoil.

Yeah, I'm thinking the periphyral and secondary problems of the supply chain are going to be what nails us. And typically those tiny aspects aren't even noticed until there is a issue. Those "out of sight, out of mind" parts can be big deals.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:57 PM »
I'm not sure most folks could make a loaf of bread if they had all the ingredients. I don't think they could grow a green bean either. They don't teach that anymore.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 09:39:34 PM »
hell I cant make a loaf of bread using the bread machine. :c002:  It just never works out right. but the green beans I got down.

Garden has sweet corn, 3 different tomatoes, yellow squash, yard long Chinese beans ( hopefully no Wuhan) and peppers. I just quit harvesting the asparagus. been eating it for a month, let it grow out for next years

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 10:00:09 PM »
I'm not sure most folks could make a loaf of bread if they had all the ingredients. I don't think they could grow a green bean either. They don't teach that anymore.

i can't grow shit either.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »
I can't grow anything either. I have a black thumb when it comes to plants. More like a grimm reaper for plants thumb.

I could cook for myself if I needed to but I really dislike cooking - I could make bread but really dislike baking as well. If I had the stuff I could do it but I'd need the ingredients and the motivation.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm not sure most folks could make a loaf of bread if they had all the ingredients. I don't they could grow a green bean either. They don't teach that anymore.

i can't grow shit either.

:))  :))

Offline highland512

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:21 AM »
I cant bake.........at all. So I guess the coming food shortage will make for a good diet plan. Nothing but local meat and veggies from the garden!!

I started planting a 2 weeks ago, so far we have garlic(planted in October) onions, potatoes, carrots, and a quarter of the sweet corn in the ground.

$0.99 is becoming a not so hard to find price for gas in the Dayton OH area, avg price I would say is $1.15.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
Still around $1.50 here. Higher by the hwy.

Talked to my brother last night, hes in the oilfield rentals business, They have 2 units in the field. 400ish in the yard. They'll probably shut down the end of the month. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
About 1.80/90 around here

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »
Need a tanker full of oil? If your in LA, just look to the port and take your pick.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/coronavirus/0OpKJNPS/coronavirus-flotilla-of-oil-tankers-spotted-off-port-of-long-beach

Offline ken w.

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »
It's 86 cents a gallon for regular on the Indian Rez.