Author Topic: Local independent garage is increasing its labor rate -  (Read 1661 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Local independent garage is increasing its labor rate -
« on: June 22, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
Interesting trend in light of the COVID-19 economic downturn, but the local independent garage/service station that I get my gas from posted a flyer stating that their labor prices will be $100/hr. This garage is well respected and quite busy, and above all, it was reasonably priced at $80/hr a few months ago. I guess they can justify the increase, but it makes me so glad that I can perform many of those everyday repairs at home.

As an aside I also noticed that the cars waiting for service in the parking lot were mostly Audi -- interesting, since when they advertise they only tout their Domestic and Asian expertise. I'm not trying to make a connection here, but found it very odd to see so many Audi cars waiting for service.

Offline Matt_T

Re: Local independent garage is increasing its labor rate -
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
I doubt this is directly related to 'rona but someone might've been working from home studying the books..............................

$80 the low end for indys here in BFE, and the two guys I know around that point aren't making big money. Even $100 sounds too cheap for NOVA. And if they're working on euros for that no wonder the lot was full of Audis. I'm guessing in your area anywhere else willing to touch them would be north of $150 after "eurotax".

Stumbled across this today which you might find interesting.

http://www.pinehollowdiagnostics.com/private-owner-logistics.html

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
Been north of $100 around here for quite some time now. I seem to recall one of the tractor shops were at $140 last time I looked.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
I doubt this is directly related to 'rona but someone might've been working from home studying the books..............................

$80 the low end for indys here in BFE, and the two guys I know around that point aren't making big money. Even $100 sounds too cheap for NOVA. And if they're working on euros for that no wonder the lot was full of Audis. I'm guessing in your area anywhere else willing to touch them would be north of $150 after "eurotax".

Stumbled across this today which you might find interesting.

http://www.pinehollowdiagnostics.com/private-owner-logistics.html

Thanks for the info Matt! Yes, the market is pretty good, and I venture to guess that our small independent shop saw an opportunity for making a better profit and raised the hourly rate by $20. People seem to accept it and business is good. As far as Audi's are concerned, I know that anything from VW/Audi is usually expensive to repair, and they may have hired the necessary expertise to take on that side of the repair business. We have a lot of Audi drivers in my neck of the woods, and dealer prices are outrageous. That's where the specialized independents make a very good living working around the edges of that customer base.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:52 PM »
I'm guessing you got the nail on the head. They hired someone with, or upgraded to European knowledge/software and raised their rates to take advantage.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
$80 is stupid cheap for your area Ray.  Even $100 has to be on the lower end of competition I would think. 

Matt, I really like the Eurotax comment, true, sad and funny at the same time.