Author Topic: Garage Floor Concrete Seams  (Read 2258 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Garage Floor Concrete Seams
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
I have these seams in the garage floor. They are deep and fairly wide and make rolling a creeper difficult and stuff on metal wheels like a jack or cherry picker hard to move over. Plus it's like a vacation paradise for dirt.

I got this stuff to fill it in but then thought maybe best to ask before I open it. What is the best way to level it out or is it even possible? It will see some loads like the stuff I mentioned.

Thanks for the help.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Garage Floor Concrete Seams
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
Were those put in for decoration or crack propagation? How many are we talking about? The main problem I see is the filler adhering to the concrete due to it being too smooth and glossy. I have used that stuff before but not for that type situation. Even varied results with repairing damaged or spalled areas with a rough surface.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
I would guess for crack control but I don't know. I've not seen ones that large before.

One runs side to side and two run the other way. I guess I can live with it but level would be better.

I was concerned about adhesion and about the filler cracking from creeper use (although I am only about 150) and steel casters.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 01:26:08 PM »
I would worry about adhesion and it holding up to steel casters especially narrow creeper steel wheels. I have a joint running down the center of the garage that collects all kinds of dirt and debris and caster wheels hang up on it. I have to use the shop-vac on it quite often as the wind is good at blowing stuff into the garage like it is at the moment.

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Looks like it was made with a groover and I'd use a Sika product to fill that. They have many different ones and not sure which one but their products are top notch. Caulking gun to put in and some probably self level. Won't be hard like concrete but I think you could roll over it

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:40:56 PM »
Sika flex I believe, would be what your looking for

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »
Thanks Les. I appreciate the info.

walrus thanks. I had originally though caulking just to keep the dirt out but then the creeper issue creeped in. I will look for the Sika stuff. Unfortunately I have caulking guns. Big ones, little ones and all just scream to me boy is this job going to be miserable.

Thanks slip.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »
Good luck with that Mr. Alien. I have saw cuts in my shop floor that are the only place it has cracked which was intended. I decided to fill them in with caulking and bought a tube of gray and got to work. As the saw kerf was pretty narrow I tried a small hole in the tip but stuff wouldn't flow. I cut a bigger and bigger hole until it started to flow and I gave up after a couple of feet as more was ending up outside the cut than in it and it was just making a mess and I wasn't going to deal with that for 200' of cut.

Do you have good knee pads as those are a must for a job like this.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »
A friend of mine (yes, believe it or not I do have one or two and none of them live in Patience, Colorado) also recommended the Sika. I will check out the stuff and at least it might keep all the gaak out.

I'd have to sit on the floor cross legged to do this I suffer orthostatic hypotension (Low blood pressure and get dizzy from certain positions or some sudden movements) and there's two places I want good blood flow to and my brain is one of them.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
How wide are the top of those joints? If they are 1/2  to 5/8 inch like most tooled joints they may be a little wide for caulk to support a creeper wheel.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:36 PM »
Almost an inch wide at the surface. I suppose the caulk would be useful in mitigating the dirt trap but not much else.

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
A friend of mine (yes, believe it or not I do have one or two and none of them live in Patience, Colorado) also recommended the Sika. I will check out the stuff and at least it might keep all the gaak out.

I'd have to sit on the floor cross legged to do this I suffer orthostatic hypotension (Low blood pressure and get dizzy from certain positions or some sudden movements) and there's two places I want good blood flow to and my brain is one of them.

I would also recommend using a quality caulk like sika to fill these joints. Trying to use a masonry product will result in cracks and flaking in time.
Make sure you get a self leveling product. I would use this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-10-1-oz-Gray-Self-Leveling-Sealant/999977056 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
Thank you highland.