Author Topic: Let’s talk garage doors  (Read 2530 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Let’s talk garage doors
« on: July 21, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
You guys with relatively new garages and shops know a lot more than me when it comes to garage doors. I need a lesson in current technology.

One of my bays will have a high ceiling to allow for a full sized lift. My issue is - what kind of door to install? One that doesn’t interfere with a vehicle when it’s raised. Usually the tracks seem to get in the way of a fully lifted vehicle. What are you guys using to get around that issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Let’s talk garage doors
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
I have a 16' ceiling with a 14' tall door so I do lose 2' of clearance due to track and door. I don't have a lift so that is not a problem for me. I don't think sliding doors do well in windy or snow areas and did not use those on the barn and went with 2pc swinging doors. Those doors aren't totally weatherproof as we left a gap on the bottom for ventilation and snow clearance.

Aircraft hangars use a variety of door styles with sliding and bi-fold with the latter being the most weatherproof.

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 01:15:18 PM »
I had a friend that just got more side rail and continued up at angle clearing the hoist. I would think you have 14 foot ceilings so a 7 foot door should work.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »
I like doors that roll up right above the door into a roll though I don't know if they make them for residential use. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »
I like doors that roll up right above the door into a roll though I don't know if they make them for residential use.
Can those be readily automated Phil? Are they on par price wise as regular doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
Ray, yes they can be automated, have no idea on price but its a one time expense that may make a huge difference on the usefulness of your space so I would look hard a t them

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 04:40:09 PM »
Can a roll up door be insulated?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »
Roll ups can be automated for not much more than conventional. I think Chamberlain makes a rotary opener. Insulated, a little. I've seen some that were segmented and the segments were insulated. Mine are one piece. Air infiltration is more an issue for me with the hurricanes. I had a plan to use bubble wrap insulation on the doors but never got around to it. When its hot its hot everywhere and those 3 days a year it gets really cold here, i just set by the heater and wait for it to warm back up.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 02:17:05 AM »
High lift roll up doors can be extended however high you want up to whatever is hanging off the ceiling. There are various track types and configurations but it probably just comes down to cost.

Notice the operators on these doors is not in the center of the door so even that obstruction can be eliminated.

Not my garage.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:19 AM »
Here are options on bi-fold doors. When I first starting reading it I got the distinct feeling I was reading Chinglish. When I got to the video then I saw that it is a Chinese company.
The 3rd design is like a hangar door which folds up into an awning or canopy over the opening.

https://georgebuildings.com/bifold-garage-door/

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 08:37:21 PM »
High lift kit like JAFE said. Also do a Jack shaft motor. It is the way to go.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 08:42:25 PM »
Better pic

MAGA

Offline Heiny57

MAGA

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 04:19:42 AM »
My ceiling is 12ft 2 inches, most lifts are in 12 ft range, some a wee bit less, some a wee bit more than 12ft. I have a 10 ft door, regular track, hangs down from ceiling about 14 inches? . The only time its in the way is with my double cab 8ft bed, reading body GMC is on lift. It doesn't bother with Wifes Rav, my Tundra or my Mustang. I have a liftmaster on side and the best insulated door I could find.