Author Topic: Snow in Nebraska  (Read 719 times)

Offline john k

Snow in Nebraska
« on: January 13, 2024, 09:39:45 PM »
Much of Nebraska is shut down with blowing snow, drifting, and sub-zero cold.  Is currently -14 here at the house...have not been out since Wednesday.  My county road is blocked both ways, did get last weeks 5 inches scooped from my lane.  Now have 11 to 13 inches more.  Scooped a path to my shop,  lighted the propane heater, checked back in an hour, heater out, propane tank empty.  State pulled the plows off because of drifting.  Keeping the house warm, got groceries, power been on steady.  Tried to scoop the sidewalk, wearing 3 layers, the wind goes thru my heavy Carhartt coat, so gave up on that.  Hope most of you are doing better.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Snow in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 09:44:57 PM »
 : Crikey that's rough . We have 20 here supposed to be record low.
No snow tho

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Snow in Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 10:10:22 PM »
Wow - that’s rough. Hang in there, and make yourself as comfortable as possible. Don’t overdue. Best of luck to you John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 06:44:18 PM »
been in the deep freeze here the last couple days.

-15 with wind chill taking our feels like down to the -40 to -50 wind chill. with very little snow i can only assume the frost is moving down in the ground at a rapid rate. had a broken wire on my cattle waterer/heater on thursday. not real fun getting it all unfrozen but working like it should now. sounds like 20s by the end of the week.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 03:57:40 PM »
Take care you guys in the midwest, that sounds brutal.

Snowing now here, might get 5 inches and in the 20's. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 05:22:11 PM »
Take care you guys in the midwest, that sounds brutal.

Snowing now here, might get 5 inches and in the 20's. 

+1 -- good luck to our mid-western and northeastern friends. Here in central Virginia it snowed less than an inch and we now have sleet and rain. Temps are dropping into the teens this week.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 12:55:13 PM »
High of 32 here today in North Georgia.  Cold temps (relatively speaking) all week here.  Was 58 and sunny yesterday, but highs in thirties and forties this week. 

Usual high and low this time of year is about 50/32.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 06:47:29 PM »
22f This morning on the Texas gulf coast. Damned cold for this area. Fortunately its fairly dry so the power stayed on.

I felt bad for the dogs so they got to stay inside when I left for work. I got notice on my security service of movement in the living room and found one of the dogs cornered on the couch by the Roomba vac and the other was tearing around trying to bite it.  :c002:       No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 10:23:37 PM »
As big a guy I am I'm not built for that kind of cold! Rather sweat the be cold.

This week has been rather chilly for these parts. Highs in the 20s for most of the week. Got up to 30 today. Supposed to get 3-6" tomorrow and be high of 20 again Saturday.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 08:19:08 AM »
Yikes John you got us beat!

Hit 28 hard freeze for us in Tucson earlier in the week and that's a struggle. Minus 14 would shut us down permanently and people would be freezing to death all over. We're just not set up for the cold.

Glad you were prepared!

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 09:31:35 PM »
Still alive.  8 days after the storm and cold moved in tonight we may have another record.  Is only -7 now but windchills forecast to -25 by morning.  Had to bring my pickup battery inside last week after a -14 morning.  Used the jumper cables a lot this week, mainly on the tractor, which plagued me with carb icing trying to clear the driveway. 
My Jeep sat a quarter mile up the road for 5 days, because out checking the drifts, tires broke thru the crust of an earlier snow.  Had to walk home, the -15 windchill 25 mph wind made it a little tough, but was dressed appropriately,  walked this road many times, have lived here almost 50 years.  Road finally opened on Tuesday.  Power never blinked, no water frozen, furnace kept going, just a little cabin fever.  Did finish 2 Clive Cussler books though.  Clearing the sidewalk is getting tough. 14 inches of snow  total, and Wednesday is talk of more. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 02:23:39 AM »
Wasn't it Daednutz who was concerned about the lack of snow pack in the mountains because of drought.  Wonder how that is stacking up now.  Sure do miss him.

John, glad you are getting through, sounds like wicked conditions.  Curious, since you have retired, have you thought about moving into town or maybe to warmer local to make life a little easier?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 06:44:00 AM »
Those conditions sound like hell to guys like us in the mid-Atlantic region. We’ve had some low 20s and upper 10s at night in my area, and people are complaining everywhere.
Heat pumps (which are standard installs around here) are running continuously and running up energy bills like crazy. We have them in our house as well, but we also have a propane gas furnace as an auxiliary. I usually run that furnace when temps dip below 25F. Nice and warm -
Can’t stand heat pumps, but they were already installed when we bought the place in 2021.

Good luck John - hope you get some relief soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 10:40:20 AM »

Heat pumps (which are standard installs around here) are running continuously and running up energy bills like crazy. We have them in our house as well, but we also have a propane gas furnace as an auxiliary. I usually run that furnace when temps dip below 25F. Nice and warm -
Can’t stand heat pumps, but they were already installed when we bought the place in 2021.

Good luck John - hope you get some relief soon.

I just installed two minisplit AC/heat pumps this summer and so far I am pretty happy with them. This is the first major cold spell I had with them so I was a little concerned, but like you. I have a propane heat as backup. We had 3 days of high teens to low 20s and the heatpumps worked very well. The house stayed in the 70s the whole time. The only concerns I had was the first time they had to defrost. A lot of odd noises coming out of the machine, but it fired right back up.
 I'm interested to see what the light bill is for this month, but from past experience I know it would have been @100 gallons of propane to keep the house that warm. And with propane at $2.50 a gallon it may still be cheaper in the long run.
I will never get rid of the propane space heaters because I know how shaky the electrical grid is in Texas. but it is nice to have options.

Those invertor drive minisplits cut my light bill in half this summer. I think thats where the minisplits will shine for me. We only get two or so months of cold here but 5+ months of heat.

Offline john k

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 02:33:18 PM »
Move?  To town and live next door to other people?  Barely give it a thought, or even south somewhere.  See the old farmers here retire, sell out, go south to TX, or Ar, half come back in a box in 2-4 years.  Almost got my old house the way I want it, room for my toys, no neighbors to complain about anything.  Is so rural the county government doesn't mess with one.  Got wildlife, scenery, an hour to the city for a change of pace.  I can fire up an engine or tractor anytime,  even thought about dabbling in steam whistles!  Oh, can shoot any time too, 500 yard range begins in the yard.  Also I own this farm.