Author Topic: Typical of appliances these days -- LG refrigerator lawsuit.  (Read 431 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Typical of appliances these days -- LG refrigerator lawsuit.
« on: January 22, 2024, 07:28:36 AM »
People are getting ripped off by so many appliance companies these days. Seems like everything is designed to fail within a certain time frame. However, in this case there is a new class action lawsuit being filed against LG for recurring problems in their refrigerators. They settled a similar suit some years ago, but now this new suit has many more plaintiffs.

Stay away from any refrigerator with linear type compressors -- the carbon vanes deteriorate and will quickly clog the lines.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Typical of appliances these days -- LG refrigerator lawsuit.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 08:40:55 AM »
Sounds like the old GE refrigerators that used what I think was called a "black powder" compressor. Right around the early 90's. A move to a powdered lubricant away from liquid compressor oil. (Heck sounds like the same problem here). And they didn't last. It was so bad GE was replacing folks' compressors a year past the 5-year warranty just as a PR saving attempt. Finally all the black powder units had been replaced or retrofitted and things moved on. No lawsuit as I recall.

They are just cheapening everything so much these days. Everything. It's no wonder young folks can't seem to get ahead. Used to be I could buy a car, toaster oven, multimeter, whatever and the stuff lasted. Things lasted and then could be fixed. Nowadays you buy stuff and it fails before you're done paying it off. Everything's becoming disposable. And repairs are prohibitively expensive. In this regard I feel for the younger generation.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 10:45:58 AM »
I've been in my new house with all new appliances for four years. So far, my clothes dryer and dishwasher have already failed with repairs equal to or greater then half the cost of a new replacement. Fortunately I have a great appliance dealer who helped me out with both of them. Neither were LG but my experience over the last 10 years or so has been disappointing regardless of brand. It just seems like every major appliance is nothing but overpriced junk selling on features, not quality. Supposedly, anything built post-COVID is worse. I lucked into a N.O.S. 2017 Speed Queen dryer that was lost in the warehouse. We'll see how that goes.

Lou Manglass

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 04:51:52 PM »
Our new Amana washing machine has already wore out the shock absorbers on the tub. $85 for a set of four. Apparently it's a 'wear" item. Plastic spongey crap.
But I kept our old Kirkland washing machine and replaced the main motor. R&R the transmission oil, checked and serviced all the mechanical parts. On stand-by when the Amana fails.
The new fridge is approaching it's warranty time-out, so we opted to extend it for 3 years. $150, but the electronic board in the thing is so expensive you just replace the whole fridge. So figured it was worth it. Wish I could find an old R-12 fridge. Those things lasted forever.

Agree that most new stuff is more of an anchor then anything else.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 06:12:37 PM »
First thing I do at an estate sale is hit the laundry to see if they have older style washer and dryer.
Usually get em real cheap. :08:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 12:40:05 PM »
We got an LG dishwasher that lasted a whole four months before we started to have issues. Besides being problematic it does a lousy doing the one job it was designed to do. I'm not really sure why we use it. Stuff won't come out any cleaner than it went in so if any food remains on the item it just comes out baked on. It's supposed to be a no need to rinse first model.

None of the appliances really work all that well relative to what they replaced. The washer does a nice job but it takes a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to wash it makes strange noises that are, apparently, normal. The dryer  seems to be designed to make lint as it's primary function.

Now I've got to go and yell at some clouds.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline walrus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 11:04:28 AM »
Washer and dryer, Speed Queen is the only way to go, cost way more but its worth it. Get the ones with no bells and whistles and you should be set for years.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 07:18:50 AM »
Washer and dryer, Speed Queen is the only way to go, cost way more but its worth it. Get the ones with no bells and whistles and you should be set for years.

Can confirm