Author Topic: Post up your compressor(s) -  (Read 19961 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Post up your compressor(s) -
« on: August 26, 2018, 10:48:53 AM »
I have three -- a 60 gal. vertical V-twin PUMA that runs the main garage (it was advertised at 6HP, but in reality it's only 3HP continuous)

... a 2HP 30 gal vertical tandem twin Kobalt that runs the small machine shop next door to the garage,

and a really old (had it since the early 70's Montgomey Ward 1/2HP  7.5 gal portable

Offline AnsonJ

Re: Post up your compressor(s) -
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »
I have a 220volt Craftsman from the late 60s or 70's.  the story behind this compressor is that it was used as the machine shed shop air on my Grandpa and uncles farm up to the point when they retired and sold the farm in the early 2000s.  (grandpa was in his mid 80s by then and Grandma was not doing well healthwise.  as small as the compressor really is, I used it to paint one of his tractors in the mid 80s and my cousin painted another one with it.  He gave it to me around 2003 and it sat unused because I didn't have a 220 volt outlet free in my house in IL and the motor cannot be rewired to run 110v, then we moved to IN and did the apartment life thing for about 3 years.  When we bought this house in 2011, I specifically had a 220 volt outlet wired for it.  still works great.

I also have a small portable compressor that I have not even got out of the box yet, but it is good for airing up tires and running a small nailgun (which is what I got it for in the first place, but found that the 50' hose that I have on the old one reached pretty much anywhere I needed it to go for that project)

AJ
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
That is the exact compressor I had for many years. It was a workhorse and it painted many cars. It ran in my shops for many years as I moved from apartments, to townhouses, and finally single family homes. A great quality machine, and it was very well made.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
Wow -- only two compressor posts since August!!! AnsonJ and I must be the only two guys on the forum that own compressors --  >:D >:D >:D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:17 PM »
Only have pics of one of my compressors. It is a NAPA branded Bridgeport-Schrader 5hp 80gal tank that is like brand new. I bought the contents of a shop mainly to get the compressor. I also have a 220V Craftsman like the AnsonJ's along with a 120V that is similar to the Craftsman.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
Ran across this Internet picture while searching for some vintage Sears compressor parts. It's a vintage 1960's (early 70's) 1HP 12 Gal. compressor that ran on either 120 or 220 volt circuits. My grandfather and dad were gearheads and they worked together all through the post war era and into the early 1960's fixing and working on cars. But it was this little compressor that they saved their money for -- within less than six months they bought one in the mid-1960's and they used it to rebuild and paint many cars. I was always amazing at the productivity that those two guys could muster with only a small 12 gal. compressor. Air tools, paint guns, and compressors were very expensive at that time, and that little unit powered through a lot of cars.

These days most of us have much larger compressors in our shops, but in those days this was as good as it got for the average DIY guy.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
Only have pics of one of my compressors. It is a NAPA branded Bridgeport-Schrader 5hp 80gal tank that is like brand new. I bought the contents of a shop mainly to get the compressor. I also have a 220V Craftsman like the AnsonJ's along with a 120V that is similar to the Craftsman.

Great looking unit DN -- professional quality all the way. Thanks for posting!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »
I'll play.

My primary is an Energair 2 horz 60 gal. 5 HP 1ph 3450 rpm, 17.5 cfm two stage. Nice small footprint. Nothing to write home about. Noisy, but makes air fine. I very, very often wish for more available air. I think I will look for a 15-20 HP recip unit when I upgrade. My use is too intermittent for a screw.

Very similar to this one

My field use compressor/when I need extra air is an XAIR SC70 Honda powered 70 cfm @100psi screw. Neat little unit at under 400 lbs. The screw is no bigger than two beer cans laid alongside each other. It has no problem keeping an air arc or big angle grinder running. It will run a 3/16 nozzle off a blast pot all day, but lacks the displacement to run a 1/4" over 65-70 psi. I've owned two 185 cfm trailer mounted diesel compressors in the past, and may buy another if I see the right deal. This 70 is too small to run a mole for boring sleeves under things.

Greyson
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:02:42 PM by gtermini »

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
When I first was detailing the plans for my garage/shop I told my wife that it had to include a compressor that would never need to be upgraded because of capacity.  She was rather shocked when I returned from Sears with the largest one they sold at the time, she still refers to it as "Mr. Compressor".  It's been more that I need but has really come in handy now that I have all my air tools at the house.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
Stokester, my sister has a CM compressor just like that plumbed into the barn at her ranch. That will be the last thing to come out of the barn when she sells the place. Our farrier wants to buy it for her shop as she needs a better compressor to run her power hammer.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
What’s Sears?

My little “noise monster” as the wife calls it.

It’s a gutless, noisy, slow, and small capacity compressor but when it was moving ever other year it was perfect. It still fits the bill for house projects and airing up a tire but I am definitely on the hunt for a new one.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
Hey -- it's a compressed air source. If it works it's the right compressor.

While I was living in an apartment back in the 70's, I bought a small 7-1/2 gal. 1/2HP Wards compressor. It ran without tripping the apartment circuit breakers and it provided just enough air to run an air ratchet and light duty spray gun. I still have that thing -- just couldn't part with it.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
This one lives outside in the breeze way, been out there10 years maybe. Stays powered 27 x 7 365. When not in use have a ball valve in the air supply line at the tank. It keeps the tanks charged, only runs when in use.

Very handy,

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
Pretty heavy duty Pep. That’s a mighty fine unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
Put the over size pressure gauge on just for grins.
It can be read from across the street LOL.
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!