Author Topic: The round head stigma  (Read 14842 times)

Offline GNAP

Re: The round head stigma
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
Go to a flea market set up a table, pour out a 100 or so Craftsman RHFTs and see how long they last
jack

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
Go to a flea market set up a table, pour out a 100 or so Craftsman RHFTs and see how long they last
Sure an RHFT next to a teardrop I'd take the RHFT, but that's a lot because I hear great things about it and haven't tried one yet.

Btw if anyone actually has 100 RHFT's we need to talk ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Only platy has an extra 100 or so RHFT Craftsman ratchets lying around to take to a flea market lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Only platy has an extra 100 or so RHFT Craftsman ratchets lying around to take to a flea market lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
What a good problem to have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
I think there are a couple reasons why I always gravitated to round head ratchets.
#1) My father owned S-K sockets, and the 45170 was the one that came in the kit. If it was good enough for dad, then it was good enough for me.
#2) Once I got my 45170 it was my only ratchet for a couple of years. having "cut my teeth' on the style just made it the default against which all others were judged.
#3) I tend to "palm" my ratchets (mostly cup my hand around the head and only use the handle for breaking loose or final tightening). Round heads are the best fit for my hand, and the selector style of the S-Ks don't reverse when I palm them. The Thorsen's are a close second.
#4) I've never had a problem with my almost 40 year old 45170. Ever. Craftsman had a great warranty - and there was a Sears nearby - but with S-K I never had to use the warranty. That sticks in your mind when you're looking at another tool.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:02:26 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
My dad had mostly Wright ratchets growing up. He had a couple pear heads, a Proto 5250 and a Craftsman RP. I just always used the Wrights. It wasn't until I was about 18 that I used a pear head for the first time.

To this day I grab whatever is attached to the ratchet and change direction with other hand. I do this with all ratchets. Thumb selectors feel awkward to me. However nowadays I'd say i own more pear heads than round heads.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:17 AM »
I'm starting to think it's just the younger guys that don't like round heads.
I watch different stuff on YouTube and countless times do I hear tool guys ( younger of course ) say something to suggest they don't like round heads or to suggest that the round head is an antiquated design.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
When I was a youngster, back in the '70s, my dad had the pear head Craftsman ratchets, one in each size up to 1/2".  He had more tools and a better tool box than any of the neighbours, their battered boxes contained (to my memory) slightly rusty, unlubricated round head ratchets that seem inferior to me.

I never met a round head ratchet I liked until I used one of my summer job boss' Craftsman RHFT about 10 years later.  He could tell I liked it so much he gave it to me.   ;D

I still have a built in bias against round heads, though.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
When I was a youngster, back in the '70s, my dad had the pear head Craftsman ratchets, one in each size up to 1/2".  He had more tools and a better tool box than any of the neighbours, their battered boxes contained (to my memory) slightly rusty, unlubricated round head ratchets that seem inferior to me.

I never met a round head ratchet I liked until I used one of my summer job boss' Craftsman RHFT about 10 years later.  He could tell I liked it so much he gave it to me.   ;D

I still have a built in bias against round heads, though.
That's kind of how I was since every round head I had ever experienced was a cheap Taiwan or Japan bottom of the barrel ratchet from a $10 set my dad had.
He's still one of those types that will buy cheap tools if you get a good amount in the set for the price.
Somewhere along the line i decided I should probably try one of quality or at least decent make and see if my mind is changed.
Now that I have I can at least say I don't really care one way or the other too much, roundheads are just fine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Summary:

A good round head = a good ratchet.

A bad round head = a bad ratchet.

Same goes for TD and BH ratchets.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
I am not a fan of the round head. I like being able to change directions without taking my other hand off of the work.

But, there is nothing wrong with a different preference. SK's and RHFT's and Wrights are all good rachets.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »
Summary:

A good round head = a good ratchet.

A bad round head = a bad ratchet.

Same goes for TD and BH ratchets.
As I have learned.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
I cut my teeth on the old craftsman pear head in my parents driveway. The cheap ones that came in the socket sets back in the 90s. I think they were like 36 tooth.  The round heads were "fine tooth" and i found they came in handy in tight spaces. Today ill use either but i kinda like the lever selector.

What i haven't got on board with are the new 72 and 90 tooth ratchets. They feel like cheap crap to me and i think they might break.   Those old 36 tooth ratchets were indestructible!  Ive done some crazy stuff and never broke one. Everytime i see a guy on youtube raving abojt the new stuff i throw up a little in my mouth

But thats just me

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »
I still have a few regular 1960s, 70s, and 80s C-man ratchets in my box. They get used once in a while, but the thrill is gone for the most part. They were good and affordable at the time (when money was tight), but these days even budget-friendly HF imports far superior ratchets than what we had in previous decades. 

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
Idk man. Ive put 3 foot cheaters on those old ratchets. Beat em with hammers. You name it.
I dont own any harbor freight but i cant imagine them taking that kind of beating.