Author Topic: Anyone like robogrips ?  (Read 17610 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Anyone like robogrips ?
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:08:00 AM »
I've got a 6" pair in my house box recently I've used them a number of times on a stripped or worn nut where I wanted more of a normal pliers action that vice grips would not afford.
I'm sure something like knipex cobras might provide a bit more versatility, but these worked like a charm, when I got them positioned just right they gripped well and got the job done.
Another situation they worked really well for was when I had a bunch of boots I could not get a socket on because they were painted over from the factory.
The RG's gripped really well without much damage and I was able reinstall the fasteners with a 7/16 socket with most of the paint having been crumbled off during removal.

I put them in my box because they were kicking around the garage and I figured I'd see what happens, I expected to not use them and eventually take them out but now that they've come in handy I know they're staying put.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Anyone like robogrips ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
Nope. Never have, never will.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
Any particular reason why ?

I personally find them to be a better idea than the clenchwrench, but I still don't see my self use the robogrips very often or anything.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »

I personally find them to be a better idea than the clenchwrench, but I still don't see my self use the robogrips very often or anything.

When I first saw them they screamed "gimmicky". I then grabbed a pair and they felt overly clunky in my hands.
They seem to have a decent grip, but the laminated construction looked like it wouldn't stand up to hard use. And I've come across some in my pawn shop haunts that were bent, teeth stripped out, and jaw layers separating. (That could just be really cheap imitation brands).

But I guess if someone can use them when nothing else will work then what do I know? :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »

When I first saw them they screamed "gimmicky". I then grabbed a pair and they felt overly clunky in my hands.
They seem to have a decent grip, but the laminated construction looked like it wouldn't stand up to hard use. And I've come across some in my pawn shop haunts that were bent, teeth stripped out, and jaw layers separating. (That could just be really cheap imitation brands).

But I guess if someone can use them when nothing else will work then what do I know? :D
I would have to agree that the laminated construction does not seem very strong, if I had heavy duty needs I'm sure I'd prefer something else.
Those fasteners I used mine on didn't require much force, I just needed to get a grip on them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
I am a big fan of Cobras and Alligators. I also really like the Channellock waterpump pliers so between them my needs are well covered. The RG's just never had much appeal to me.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »
+1 on what Steve said.  ;D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
I am a big fan of Cobras and Alligators. I also really like the Channellock waterpump pliers so between them my needs are well covered. The RG's just never had much appeal to me.
I completely get that.
Btw one thing I hate about the robogrips is that I have to have a wire keeper around the handles because they're spring loaded.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Spring loaded pliers you either like or you don't. Not familiar with the specific design - could you pull the spring?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
Spring loaded pliers you either like or you don't. Not familiar with the specific design - could you pull the spring?
I'm pretty sure the spring is necessary to the design, and I also think there's more than one.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
Interesting the label those Craftsman Professional. Make one wonder how they define professional.

As to the spring doesn't look like something easily done judging by the one pic.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

Ha, last time I mentioned waterpump pliers it started a big laugh fest at my last job. That's what I was taught to call them- waterpumps. I thought Channellock was just a maker of water pump pliers until my early 20's.
Now just to mess with young workers I ask them to hand me the waterpump pliers and they give me the "I've seen a flying saucer" look.  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:17:52 AM by bonneyman »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure the spring is necessary to the design, and I also think there's more than one.

I think my mom bought me a pair of those for Christmas years ago when they first came out and Sears had the holiday push on them. I don't think I have ever used them, been in my box ever since.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
I was taught they were called waterpump pliers as well.

... and they give me the "I've seen a flying saucer" look.  :D

>:D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
I was taught they were called waterpump pliers as well.

... and they give me the "I've seen a flying saucer" look.  :D

>:D
I call them tongue and groove pliers personally, but water pump pliers sounds fine.
What gets me is when someone calls all of them channellocks, especially when someone calls a bottom of the barrel $2.99 chinese pair Channellocks.
People are free to call tools whatever they were taught to call them, but I can't help but grit my teeth sometimes  :)
Always lookin' to learn