Author Topic: What was I thinking  (Read 6865 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: What was I thinking
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
I find the smaller, 1" driver balls to be perfect for stubborn thermostat screws. Over time the nickel (or whatever) coating on the screws corrodes off, due to poor contact and electrolysis due to poor t-stat construction. (They manufacturers don't clean up the flux after soldering and the residue causes corrosion. I started cleaning contacts and wiring on new stats with 99% ethanol spray just to eliminate this problem)
So many t-stat screwdrivers are so small diameter a normal mans hand's just can't get enough grip. The small EASYDRIVER's give me the grip I need to pop those stuck screws off! And if I break one, I have a pill bottle full of extras I've confiscated off of old stats for just such a use.
The size on these really is very handy.

I picked out the two smoothest ones to send you, but I would recommend drilling a small 1/16 the hole and introducing some oil like i've done to mine and the one I'm giving my dad.
It's made such a huge difference and they're so smooth now.
I'm not sure if it's just these Pratt Read examples or if the small ones were always stiffer than the full sized ones, but it's such a simple fix regardless.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
I completely forgot, the easy driver from Bman came in yesterday.
It's just as buttery smooth as my old one and the 1/4 bit shaft works great.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:41 PM »
Guys, I discovered that a 1/4" square by square extension (like those for female drive rats) fits perfectly on EASYDRIVER mini-ball drivers. Though it is a bit tight on the yellow and black Pratt Reads that the OP bought. But maybe one could be slightly ground down to fit? Happy modding! :)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:42 PM »
Probably just kiss the surface and it'll probably fit just fine.
Always lookin' to learn