Author Topic: SUPCO: HVAC Tools and supplies  (Read 9993 times)

Offline bonneyman

SUPCO: HVAC Tools and supplies
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Came across this 2014 catalog while searching for something else (isn't that always the case?). Has good descriptions of things and a fairly good company history - with stuff I didn't know.
Anyways, I wanted to be able to remember where it is, and also you guys can access the information.

http://www.mcaair.com/docs/supco/supcocatalog.pdf
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:30:09 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: SUPCO: HVAC Tools and supplies
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 12:29:38 PM »
A copy of their 2018 catalog.

http://online.pubhtml5.com/vylv/bhos/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
I'm a big believer in their Supco 88 oil booster. Here's a link with a bunch of downloads for the inquisitive.

https://www.supco.com/web/supco_live/products/S8.html

It's "trick" ingredient is benzyl disulfide, and extreme pressure lubricant that adheres to the metal and forms a super tough yet slippery film at high temps and high pressures.  Found a research paper from over 35 years ago where the guy goes into the alot of detail of the mechanics of how different elements work.

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/22253/2/Bayles-AA-1976-PhD-Thesis.pdf
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:43:12 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
Thanks for posting that. Their website wasn't that great last I checked.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
Thanks for posting that. Their website wasn't that great last I checked.

U R Welcome. I'm just trying to grab all the catalogs I can before they disappear, as everyone is going full tilt for "internet only". And many companies are dropping phone numbers - only way to contact them is email. I just don't like the way all these things are going.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Was watching a video of a guy who was trying to remove studs from an exhaust manifold. Had several break off. He tried using PB Blaster and other tricks - still no go. Then he remembered a trick he had once heard about that used candle wax. Heat the parts, put some candle wax on the bolt, and the heat will melt it and "draw" it into the threads. And Bingo - the studs came out!

What does this have to do with Supco? Well, I just researched, and discovered their Supco 88 additive contains two paraffinic lubricating oils in it. These are waxy distillates. Guess what? Most candles are made of paraffin wax! So, the Supco engineers back in 1954 must have tapped into that old mechanics trick knowledge when making their brew!  8)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
If you open many "old timer" boxes you will find all kinds of seemingly odd products in the junk drawer. Candle stubs, soap bars, pencil lead, Silly Putty, steel wool, wadded up dryer lint, tar, cigarette rolling paper, tins of bacon grease, and a host of others depending whether they did mechanical or bodywork tasks.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
If you open many "old timer" boxes you will find all kinds of seemingly odd products in the junk drawer. Candle stubs, soap bars, pencil lead, Silly Putty, steel wool, wadded up dryer lint, tar, cigarette rolling paper, tins of bacon grease, and a host of others depending whether they did mechanical or bodywork tasks.

You ought to start a thread on that. I've got some tips to share, and I'd love to hear what MacGyver tricks you guys have.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »

You ought to start a thread on that. I've got some tips to share, and I'd love to hear what MacGyver tricks you guys have.

We should do that. My grandpa was total "old school" and used to keep (among many other seemingly odd things) horsehair and tar in his box. He insisted that tar and horsehair made the most air and water tight connections short of welding or soldering. He proved the point countless times by fixing leaks where others had failed miserably.