Author Topic: I.D. this access valve.  (Read 7964 times)

Offline bonneyman

I.D. this access valve.
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:07:31 PM »
Came across this Watsoc access valve. Nicely made, steel construction, seems older, and it has a 1/4" flare fitting on it for A/C hoses. But the business end is an odd (for air conditioners) thread, with a standard screwdriver tip as the working part. Not a piercing valve. So I'm stumped as to what it's actually for. Possible auto tool, or used in vacuuming/reclaiming (their CA-1 tool).

Watsco's website is basically useless - I guess they're more just into the corporate end now with subsidiaries making products.

Any ideas?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: I.D. this access valve.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
no clue. speaking of watsco.  i don't use my watsco long allen wrench set with handle often but it has been the only thing to work a few times. i have not seen a new set in years and since i quit working with the local hvac guy on occasion i no longer have access to any of the warehouses. i wonder if they quit making it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
no clue. speaking of watsco.  i don't use my watsco long allen wrench set with handle often but it has been the only thing to work a few times. i have not seen a new set in years and since i quit working with the local hvac guy on occasion i no longer have access to any of the warehouses. i wonder if they quit making it.

I've discovered a little bit. Seems like this valve is for the top of a reclaim machine where you can adjust the flow when working on a system. Being it's a proprietary valve, it may be just for that machine. Which would make it useless to me unless I mod it.
Which I tried doing at the big Ace Hardware by me. They didn't have a pipe fitting or coupler that matched the thread. Hmm. Might be tougher than I thought.
I'm gonna run it by my warehouse, and an older HVAC buddy. See if they can ID what machine its for.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
A business associate whose been doing AC since 1980 said this valve looks like the one found on older Chrysler AirTemp compressors. 60's - 70's was their heyday. They ended production in the early 80's according to him. Not really usable as it. Will have to look at modifying it.