Author Topic: Let's see your bicycle tools!  (Read 34134 times)

Offline bonneyman

Let's see your bicycle tools!
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
I've been finding alot of bike tools lately, figured we could re-boot the old thread.

In the mean-time, post up your cycling implements! Home-made tools especially welcome.

Here are some of my recent grabs:

A Spin Doctor chain stretch measuring tool, a Campagnolo pedal nut wrench, a Park offset brake wrench, and a Sugino chainring nut wrench.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/spin-doctor-400625#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:6&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

https://www.parktool.com/category/tools
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:19:23 PM by bonneyman »

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Let's see your bicycle tools!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
Dupe...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:15:06 PM by strik9 »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
I have pared back to what keeps up our stuff and sold off most of the bling. 

Maybe some is crappy looking but it is more than adequate.  Three other bike shops have gotten most of the pro and semi pro tools.

Pics coming..  be calm...

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
More basics

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »
Freewheel disassembly tools and my cheapi allens

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
A Schwinn-approved tire pressure gauge I no longer have. Very finely made, had a valve core remover in the butt end.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
Bottom bracket tools and crank arm remover.

Various pin spanners. Got an old Williams in there!

My container of freewheel removers. A few old and NLA ones, plus a cassette tool or two.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
Chain de-riveters and spoke wrenches, along with some schrader core removal tools and thread chasers. Plus an assortment of stubby and mini screwdrivers for all the tiny adjustment screws one finds on a bike.
The Park CT-5 chain tool and the RavX 4-in-1 spoke tightener are by far the best at their jobs.

https://www.parktool.com/product/mini-chain-brute-chain-tool-ct-5

https://www.amazon.com/RavX-TX2-Hook-Spoke-Wrench/dp/B0060ZCN40/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539378408&sr=1-14&keywords=spoke+wrench+bicycle
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:09:13 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
Wrenches for cones, axle nuts, jam nuts, and the like. A pair of Heyco's in metric, and some older American DOE's and tappet wrenches pulling cone adjustment duty. Plus an old Williams engineers wrench in 19/32" which will work on 15mm.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
I sold near all the bottom bracket hook wrenches after I tried that HDX plumbing wrench.  Seems many guys here just used whatever as few knew about those marvels.

I only deal in cheapo bikes so the two freewheel sockets are cheap generic Shimano style.  One is welded to a bar of steel.  Quite handy.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »
Brake tools. Two "third hand" tools (they hold the caliper with the pads against the rim to free up your hands). And Park's Fourth Hand tool that grabs the end of the cable, tightens it, and holds it taught while you tighten the holding nuts.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:22:54 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
I sold near all the bottom bracket hook wrenches after I tried that HDX plumbing wrench.  Seems many guys here just used whatever as few knew about those marvels.

I only deal in cheapo bikes so the two freewheel sockets are cheap generic Shimano style.  One is welded to a bar of steel.  Quite handy.

I've done that with a pipe wrench or Knipex. You do what you gotta do!  :D

And I'd say 90% of most freewheel bikes use either the Shimano or Falcon tools. Since I work on older bikes for friends I never know what I'll have to remove, (so when a local bike shop closed up 3 months ago I raided their tool bin and snagged some really nice vintage freewheel tools). But then I push real hard to have them replace their original with a newer freewheel that uses one of the two common tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
When I was 13 I got a Raliegh 3 speed "English Racer". Rode it until I got my license at 16 and never rode it again. Kind of wish I had it now. I fixed everything on it but never had any bike tools just whatever general tools I had - I couldn't afford the specialty tools. Never really needed any aside from marring stuff with the wrong tools and I don't think I cared. It had the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and the only time I came close to needing anything specialty was when I broke the little chain on the shifter coupling link that goes into the hub to change gears but there was JUST enough I was able to get it out without having to open the hub.

Oddly, I have a couple specialty tools now and I'll take a pic and post them when I have a chance.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
When I was 13 I got a Raliegh 3 speed "English Racer". Rode it until I got my license at 16 and never rode it again. Kind of wish I had it now. I fixed everything on it but never had any bike tools just whatever general tools I had - I couldn't afford the specialty tools. Never really needed any aside from marring stuff with the wrong tools and I don't think I cared. It had the Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and the only time I came close to needing anything specialty was when I broke the little chain on the shifter coupling link that goes into the hub to change gears but there was JUST enough I was able to get it out without having to open the hub.

Oddly, I have a couple specialty tools now and I'll take a pic and post them when I have a chance.

As with virtually every other old time bike maker Sturmey-Archer got bought out. Good news is the sale was by a Taiwanese company that kept the old parts in production and actually made improvements to the line.  They even came out with new products. At least one old time bike manufacturer saved! 8)

http://www.sturmey-archer.com

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
Sorry for taking this a little OT I have been considering getting a bike. I was familiar with the three speed and as a kid rode it all over Pittsburgh (which is pretty hilly) but not sure if a five (or 10) speed would be a smarter choice. Not very hilly around here and it would be more for exercise than transportation and I'm a lot older now.

I was glad to see SA is still around in some form, thanks Bonneyman!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.