Author Topic: Craftsman cordless 4 1/2 grinder  (Read 2602 times)

Offline muddy

Craftsman cordless 4 1/2 grinder
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
One of the fun things about being a relatively new home owner....is buying tools you don't have.

I didn't have an angle grinder. So I grabbed this at a local online auction.

I'm really liking the new 20v line from craftsman. No they aren't Milwaukee or snap on quality. However there quality has greatly increased from past years.

Not much to say about the grinder. One feature I like is a trigger lock out ( I've really become a nervous Nelly since having a 3 yr old running around).

It also has 3 positions for the handle. One on either side and then one in the middle. I've never seen this feature before but I like it.

Pretty solid piece for $50. I bought just the bare tool since I have a battery and charger.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

Re: Craftsman cordless 4 1/2 grinder
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »
I really like the smaller sized grinders. I've got several corded models and they're really handy to have around. I seldom use my big 7in grinder anymore.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
I have looked at these at Lowes and they appear to be red dewalts. As much as dewalt wants for their batteries I have been kicking around the idea of buying into craftsman cordless on some of the sales Lowes has.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 09:34:16 PM »
I can see how the DeWalt looks similar but it's definitely not the same. I'm not saying which is better as I really have no experience with either.

I only have one craftsman battery at the moment.....guess I should get more....or maybe another tool that comes with a battery and charger :))

DeWalt......

https://www.google.com/search?q=dewalt+cordless+grinder&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALeKk03EzLzmtZvXuixBV61BRpatcTXZkQ:1592447350626&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF7aDVqIrqAhUcoHIEHc2LBBMQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=512

Craftsman.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=craftsman+cordless+grinder&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ALeKk00h6Z9BKVzjVIbBv1JoRcqp1SYlSg:1592447683278&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjup_DzqYrqAhWcl3IEHUdWDxoQ_AUoAnoECBAQAg&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=3

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 10:42:07 PM »
That should serve you fine Tim. I still use my 4" Makita corded that I bought 30 years ago as it works great. I bought a corded DeWalt 4-1/2" a couple of years ago as I could get the 4-1/2" wheels way cheaper than the 4" wheels especially the flap wheels. I can also use both as sanders as I rarely use my B&D 7" sanders anymore.

I don't mind using corded tools on jobs that don't come up often. I am glad I got the free Makita battery circular saw as a bonus with the new batteries and charger at Christmas as it is so easy to grab and cut a piece of wood.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
 a cordless grinder/cutoff tool is damn handy. my dewalt is one of my most used tools. it most often has a cutoff wheel on it and is used to remove burs, cutoff small bolts and screws and light grinder duties.  so many times you need a grinder for a job that take less than a minute or 2 and cordless is the ticket. i still use m corded 4.5 inch grinders a loton large projects but if it is a project that is quick it take longer to string a cord that the job itself.

one of the nicest features of the cordless grinder is it's small footprint when not in use or working in a somewhat confined area............. stand it on end. try that with a corded model.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »
a cordless grinder/cutoff tool is damn handy. my dewalt is one of my most used tools. it most often has a cutoff wheel on it and is used to remove burs, cutoff small bolts and screws and light grinder duties.  so many times you need a grinder for a job that take less than a minute or 2 and cordless is the ticket. i still use m corded 4.5 inch grinders a loton large projects but if it is a project that is quick it take longer to string a cord that the job itself.

one of the nicest features of the cordless grinder is it's small footprint when not in use or working in a somewhat confined area............. stand it on end. try that with a corded model.

+1 --  totally agree

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 04:42:34 AM »
Now you guys are causing me to regret selling a dewalt cordless grinder I had in stock :c002:

Bought it after I had made a deal to buy some tools from a guy.  Normally I don't buy many used cordless tools as you don't know the condition of the battery and I don't like to sell things that are iffy.  Figured I would keep it for myself.  Batteries seemed fine and I foolishly put a price tag on it.  One of my regulars bought it