Author Topic: Ratchet Practice  (Read 32681 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Ratchet Practice
« on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
I am always a little surprised at how different one tool can be used in individual hands and we all seem to have particular habits when it comes to ratchets. I don't care much for QR for example - I just don't see the value but then I almost never use a ratchet and a socket directly together. I will always put a spinner on the ratchet unless there is no room. My favorite spinners are the original design Snap-ons.

I also tend to use the longest extension (that makes sense) possible. Just the way I am used to it I suppose. I also usually grab a non locking flex ratchet first. I don't care much for the rubberized or bimolded ratchet handles but all chrome or hard plastic either is fine for me.

I have to say a ratchet is most likely my favorite hand tool and wrenches only come out when a ratchet makes no sense or doesn't fit.

.So where do others fall in the discussion?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Ratchet Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
I have all the spinners shown, and never ever use one. I never used them growing up so I simply never give them a thought when working. I prefer a QR ratchet myself. I find sockets and extensions release easier with QR when my hands are oily or greasy. I don't like any more extension than needed myself. As for a wrench or a ratchet it is a coin toss, depends on what I am doing and where I am.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
I don't know why but I just find this so interesting. No right way or wrong way just preference and habit.

I learned using the extensions but the spinners I added in my 20's.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
Though I love sockets and ratchets I've assembled a secondary set of inserts for use in ratcheting box wrenches just in case I need a different angle to work on or don't have the right size regular socket handy. Maybe it's my SHTF mentality?

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »
I ever cared for QR ratchets and only use an extension when necessary. Just my taste, I guess. Only had a very few spinners, so I can't say yay or nay on them.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
That is cool stuff Steve -- I have a few no-name spinner, but never got the "hang" for them.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »
Those adapters have saved the day on many occasions. The ones with the spinner ring are nice.

Strik made some he sent me some time back that came in very handy.

Papaw that's what is so interesting to me. I guess it's like buying a car some want one color and a stick, some want an auto, some a pickup.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
That is cool stuff Steve -- I have a few no-name spinner, but never got the "hang" for them.

I just use them once the fastener is loose to turn. Much faster than the ratchet and often I just pull the ratchet off altogether.

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
I really like the spinners too, but I rarely use one. I don't think I even have a complete set. This needs to be corrected.

Like you, a ratchet and socket have been my go to, wrenches only coming out when necesarry. More recently I have expanded my variety of metric wrenches, and have been using them more often. I only use an extention with a ratchet if needed, but almost always use a deep socket wether needed or not. I don't really have a preference about quick release, but my favorite ratchets are do not have that feature. Comfort grips and hard handles are OK, but round knurled handles are my favorites, and I really don't like polished steel handles.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
I have the whole drive size family (spinners)

Collected their cousins too (ratcheting spinners)

They sit on the side of the dance floor with their 3 eyed kinfolk (ratchet adapters)

Do I use them? Only for nostalgia sake in super rare occasions when I get a hankering to pull them out of the toolbox and toss them in the specialty box(es).

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
I usually use a 3/8 socket spinner once the nut is broken free. I have a flex handle ratchet but I almost never use it and only rarely use an extension. This might be because I almost never work on cars anymore, not having a project car but having a project house. Oh, and I use mostly Cornwell steel handles.

(Its good to be back, thanks everyone for the hard work)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
My preference is grabbing a ratchet first, wrenchs second.

But my ratchet of choice has changed dramatically in the past few years. For years I hated the slick SnapOn handles. this came from my time where turning wrenchs was money. I didn't like changing rachet sizes to break bolts loose then get a smaller one to run them out. I would just gorilla the little 3/8 rats and break it loose. the smooth snappys were easy to slip off of.  broke a knuckle with one and never wanted another. I used the Williams rats and they held up well to the abuse.

Now I've gotten a bit older and don't have an issue getting a bigger ratchet or breaker bar if it saves me a little pain. And theres a snappy or two in the go box now. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
I found a link for the QR ones I posted. Looks like they're still available.
FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-Metric-Ratcheting-Wrench-Adapter/dp/B0002NYCZE

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »
I have the ratchet adapters but rarely use them. I did use them with a beam type torque wrench and the Snap-on Torqometers but mostly I use clickers now and they almost always have a ratchet head. I do use the 1/4 adapter with a stubby 1/4 handle for under dash work sometimes - so far it is the most compact  setup I have.

Ratchet adapters can sometimes be handy on a speed handle but that opens the question who really uses them much anymore. About the only place I use one is changing spark plugs on the Explorer and Spitfire.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »
Ratchet adapters can be a real life saver when you need one. Not often, but highly valued when the need is there.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Gang,

I'm a ratchet & socket guy 1st and foremost.  My all-time favorite ratchets have the classic knurled handles. 

I do like wrenches though, when they are the tool of choice for special applications.

As to the spinner adapter option, I have a few but seldom use them.  Instead, I prefer the ratcheting thumbwheel.  Often they are the most compact ratchet option available when torque is not required.   And they don't require much storage space in the old tool chest.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
I'm with Gary on this one. It's ratchets and sockets first and foremost.

But with the advent of ratcheteing box wrenches, I see the sweetness of a socket adapter in a GearWrench with a shortened shallow socket. Losing that overall thickness of 3/8" can make the job.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »
I can see one of those coming in handy, I may have to keep an eye out for one.

Not too long ago I picked up a Craftsman 1/4 sliding T handle for dirt cheap and with recent use I've been wondering how I ever got along without it.
Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle Proto but it was busted )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:40:33 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »

Not too long ago I picked up a Craftsman 1/4 sliding T handle for dirt cheap and with recent use I've been wondering how I ever got along without it.
Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle but it was busted )

Someone did a "how thin a socket/ratchet can you go?" thread (I think it was GJ) and they had a ratcheting box with a cut down to a stub adapter and a ground down shallow socket. It was noticeably thinner.

I don't think a Saltus wrench would fit where that thing could go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:34:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Until this thread I didn't really think about it. However now that I'm thinking about it, I think I don't really have a "favorite". I use both equally at work. At home I do go for the socket and ratchet.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
All these different approaches and yet all work quite well.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
I do a lot of sudpension and brakes so DOE work best in some cars.  I do sockets on a breaker ad wrench a lot and the spinny handle ratchet in tough spots.

The CH water wheel clicker is used most as a 10mm bit driver.  Yeah, its poor but it does work.  Nevermind I have a Wurth set up for that too which is really nice. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »

Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle but it was busted )

Someone did a "how thin a socket/ratchet can you go?" thread (I think it was GJ) and they had a ratcheting box with a cut down to a stub adapter and a ground down shallow socket. It was noticeably thinner.

I don't think a Saltus wrench would fit where that thing could go.
I've got a ratcheting box end Craftsman ( professional I believe ) that I found on the ground a year or so ago and I've thought about doing something with it.

My idea is to turn a grade 8 12mm bolt into a 1/4" adapter you put into a socket, place the socket on the fastener, then take the wrench to it.
I don't know how well this would work, but it's really the only thing I would be able to do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
There are similar adapters that work quite well. Might be a good learning experience.

Strik made some and he sent a couple that I use.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 11:40:46 PM »
10 min to find the right bolt then do a bit of filing on it and now I've technically got a low-ish profile 70 tooth 1/4" ratchet.
I found a stepped bolt in the old bucket-o-stuff that was slightly oversized and filed it till it was a tight press fit into the wrench, then I cut and filed the end into a 1/4" fitting.
Sockets arent retained perfectly and can fall off but I may be able to come up with a solution.

It's not pretty and probably not very heavy duty, but it technically works.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:43:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
The shoulder on the bolt is a good idea. Try a magnet for retention.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »
The shoulder on the bolt is a good idea. Try a magnet for retention.
That could work, I'll try drilling a pocket in the side for a small neo magnet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:30 AM »
That should work well and will tend to magnetize the socket which may help hold the fastener.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »

It sure ain't pretty but it'll work.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
Looks well done to me. It functions for the intended purpose and you got to use some tools making it. Win all around.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
Looks well done to me. It functions for the intended purpose and you got to use some tools making it. Win all around.
Plus it costed nothing to turn a free tool I had no use for into something I do.
Not 100% sure yet but im thinking of putting it into my bycicle tool kit.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 06:57:32 PM »
This is the type of thread I missed for the past couple of years.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »

Hopefully we will be seeing more for a while.

These are pieces Strik made and sent they are all 1/4. Some work better than others my favorite to use is the second from the right and iot works quite well.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »

Hopefully we will be seeing more for a while.

These are pieces Strik made and sent they are all 1/4. Some work better than others my favorite to use is the second from the right and iot works quite well.

He did an excellent job on those, if I could weld I'd make something similar just for the ball detent feature.
Now this has me wondering how hard it would be to create a ball detent.
I've got a few tiny ball bearings, a bit lighter spring, and I suppose I could  use a punch to create a lip that would lock it in.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »
Wow...  I forgot about those already.  Good to see they found a use with you. 

I do remember making those fine adjustables however.  Tons of work for poor results.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
Elroy did a how to on setting the check balls some time back. I don't recall the details but I think he made the tool to stake the ball. Snapmom did a repair on an extension that needed a check ball she also posted. All that got lost on the meltdown.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
Well I made it work.

It removed the magnet, and drilled the hole deeper.
Then I inserted the small spring I found and the ball ( a steel birdshot I believe ) , and all I had to do was push it in while taking a center punch to the edge on one side.
It was kind of a finnicky thing to do have to hold the punch and the pin i pressed the ball in with in the same hand, but it worked.

I don't know how well staked the ball is, and how well it will hold long term, but it's working at the moment.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 09:25:27 PM »
I have to confess I did not set any tiny balls onto tiny springs.  The one is a 1/4" hex bit to 1/4" square drive from a cheap bit driver set. 
     It is pressed into a nut with a fixed washer.  No welding at all just crammed in under pressure.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
It is tricky to set the check balls needs about three hands and most people seem to stop at 2.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
I have to confess I did not set any tiny balls onto tiny springs.  The one is a 1/4" hex bit to 1/4" square drive from a cheap bit driver set. 
     It is pressed into a nut with a fixed washer.  No welding at all just crammed in under pressure.
Why didn't I think if that ?
Just file the nut down to a tight press fit and file the 1/4 square to a tight fit into the nut and call it done.
I can definitely do that and end up with a much cleaner finished product.
I'll think about doing this if I can find the right nut ( I've already got the perfect 1/4dr from a cheapo little breaker bar that broke )
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ken w.

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
My first day on the job at a new car dealer I was told how to replace spark plugs. It was with a universal joint spark plug socket , long extension  , and a bent handled flex head ratchet. It took me a couple of cars to get the handle of it , but I've been hooked ever since. That was back in the mid 80's. Things are a little different now. My ratchet is getting wore out. The flex head flops back and forth and has tons of slop in it. I'd like to turn it in for a new model with fine teeth and a hard handle if available. I bought it new the 2nd day on the job along with a 3' extension and spark plug socket. I think the whole set up cost me around $130.00. I don't think I could buy the ratchet for that now.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »
Here's the final iteration of my 12mm box end conversion
I ended up using one of those socket adapter bits of which I have quite a few, luckily I happened to have a black one.

I was going to cut it off flush, but I realized that if I leave it sticking out i can put some kind of spinner handle on it.
I just happened to have this little nut driver laying around and it works perfectly, I think it may be from an Xcelite Torque amplifier set.
I've used this a few times in the past couplevdays and it works very well, the little spinner handle comes in very handy.

A big thanks to J.A.F.E and Strik for giving me the idea to use a bit driver adapter, works better than my first thing and was much easier.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:07:42 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
Two ideas on the washer placement.  Near the socket it is a solid stop.  And it permits the spinner.   Opposite the socket it stays with the wrench when a socket is fixed.  I tried both then went and bought L socket wrenches.

That looks factory made.  Very clean lines.

Give it a long term use and report back. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »
Back in the early days Snap-on had a setup very similar.

From the Collecting Snap-on site.

http://collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=116

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
Two ideas on the washer placement.  Near the socket it is a solid stop.  And it permits the spinner.   Opposite the socket it stays with the wrench when a socket is fixed.  I tried both then went and bought L socket wrenches.

That looks factory made.  Very clean lines.

Give it a long term use and report back.
Thanks.
Btw I had to file the nut down on all flats to fit it, so it's a tight press fit and is essentially permanent.
Its not hard to tap it out, but I have no need to.

I'll definitely report back on it after some time, I really like the 72 tooth mechanism and this thing is just a handy size.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
Back in the early days Snap-on had a setup very similar.

From the Collecting Snap-on site.

http://collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=116
Dang, I thought I was going to be able to make a million bucks off this concept  ;D
Always lookin' to learn