Author Topic: Ratchet Practice  (Read 32683 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Re: Ratchet Practice
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Gang,

I'm a ratchet & socket guy 1st and foremost.  My all-time favorite ratchets have the classic knurled handles. 

I do like wrenches though, when they are the tool of choice for special applications.

As to the spinner adapter option, I have a few but seldom use them.  Instead, I prefer the ratcheting thumbwheel.  Often they are the most compact ratchet option available when torque is not required.   And they don't require much storage space in the old tool chest.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
I'm with Gary on this one. It's ratchets and sockets first and foremost.

But with the advent of ratcheteing box wrenches, I see the sweetness of a socket adapter in a GearWrench with a shortened shallow socket. Losing that overall thickness of 3/8" can make the job.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »
I can see one of those coming in handy, I may have to keep an eye out for one.

Not too long ago I picked up a Craftsman 1/4 sliding T handle for dirt cheap and with recent use I've been wondering how I ever got along without it.
Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle Proto but it was busted )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:40:33 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »

Not too long ago I picked up a Craftsman 1/4 sliding T handle for dirt cheap and with recent use I've been wondering how I ever got along without it.
Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle but it was busted )

Someone did a "how thin a socket/ratchet can you go?" thread (I think it was GJ) and they had a ratcheting box with a cut down to a stub adapter and a ground down shallow socket. It was noticeably thinner.

I don't think a Saltus wrench would fit where that thing could go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:34:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Until this thread I didn't really think about it. However now that I'm thinking about it, I think I don't really have a "favorite". I use both equally at work. At home I do go for the socket and ratchet.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
All these different approaches and yet all work quite well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
I do a lot of sudpension and brakes so DOE work best in some cars.  I do sockets on a breaker ad wrench a lot and the spinny handle ratchet in tough spots.

The CH water wheel clicker is used most as a 10mm bit driver.  Yeah, its poor but it does work.  Nevermind I have a Wurth set up for that too which is really nice. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:49 PM »

Now I just need a good spinner handle with a drive plug in the back ( I had a yellow handle but it was busted )

Someone did a "how thin a socket/ratchet can you go?" thread (I think it was GJ) and they had a ratcheting box with a cut down to a stub adapter and a ground down shallow socket. It was noticeably thinner.

I don't think a Saltus wrench would fit where that thing could go.
I've got a ratcheting box end Craftsman ( professional I believe ) that I found on the ground a year or so ago and I've thought about doing something with it.

My idea is to turn a grade 8 12mm bolt into a 1/4" adapter you put into a socket, place the socket on the fastener, then take the wrench to it.
I don't know how well this would work, but it's really the only thing I would be able to do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
There are similar adapters that work quite well. Might be a good learning experience.

Strik made some and he sent a couple that I use.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 11:40:46 PM »
10 min to find the right bolt then do a bit of filing on it and now I've technically got a low-ish profile 70 tooth 1/4" ratchet.
I found a stepped bolt in the old bucket-o-stuff that was slightly oversized and filed it till it was a tight press fit into the wrench, then I cut and filed the end into a 1/4" fitting.
Sockets arent retained perfectly and can fall off but I may be able to come up with a solution.

It's not pretty and probably not very heavy duty, but it technically works.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:43:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 12:13:07 AM »
The shoulder on the bolt is a good idea. Try a magnet for retention.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 12:35:40 AM »
The shoulder on the bolt is a good idea. Try a magnet for retention.
That could work, I'll try drilling a pocket in the side for a small neo magnet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:30 AM »
That should work well and will tend to magnetize the socket which may help hold the fastener.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »

It sure ain't pretty but it'll work.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
Looks well done to me. It functions for the intended purpose and you got to use some tools making it. Win all around.