Author Topic: Model Train layout  (Read 19456 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Model Train layout
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2023, 09:08:11 PM »
Practiced air brushing on a funnel with some primer and colors. The green didn't dry as fast as evident by the finger prints and paint on my finger :)). Went ahead and primered one of the out l buildings. Gotta figure out a way to rig up some lights for this paint booth....

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2023, 09:55:26 PM »
RR, Coming along nicely.......  V..... lol that is exactly what happens.

You're going to love what can be done with the air brush. Great for high lighting, making stuff stand out. Just dusting the models will bring out the edges. You will see what I mean the first time you try it.   

Forget the chalks for weathering, 2 reason it needs to be sealed (cleared) or it wipes off. And that mutes the effect, and then it's lost.

Single action air brush is the ticket,  BTW

Nice loading dock....

Enjoy

Stick with incandescent lighting for the booth, more natural.

Well track is pretty much all laid. Had a change of plans. Instead of and engine house, I'm going to have a coal dealer on the siding. So I dug a pit for the coal elevator.
                                             this
 These tracks could also be tied into an expansion one day (Woah Tim slow down let's keep working on this one! :)) )

This is going to be more of a "switching" layout. Definitely freelance.

Next project will be wiring.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2023, 09:53:40 PM »
RR, Coming along nicely.......  V..... lol that is exactly what happens.

You're going to love what can be done with the air brush. Great for high lighting, making stuff stand out. Just dusting the models will bring out the edges. You will see what I mean the first time you try it.   

Forget the chalks for weathering, 2 reason it needs to be sealed (cleared) or it wipes off. And that mutes the effect, and then it's lost.

Single action air brush is the ticket,  BTW

Nice loading dock....

Enjoy

Stick with incandescent lighting for the booth, more natural.

Well track is pretty much all laid. Had a change of plans. Instead of and engine house, I'm going to have a coal dealer on the siding. So I dug a pit for the coal elevator.
                                             this
 These tracks could also be tied into an expansion one day (Woah Tim slow down let's keep working on this one! :)) )

This is going to be more of a "switching" layout. Definitely freelance.

Next project will be wiring.

I'm having fun with the air brushing so far. Bit of a learning curve but getting the hang of it.

The kit came with a dual action. Just a simple knock off. I found a Paasche model H on ebay that I'm going try out. That's an almost 50 yr old single action. But everyone says they are just good solid workhorses. Still made to this day even.

Offline muddy

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2023, 08:58:57 PM »
Started spraying some color tonight. It wasn't spraying quite right. It was pushing paint through before the needle was even open. Also it was really spitting and splotchy.

Turns out when I cleaned it last and reassembled I was a bit too rough with the needle. Bent the tip just enough to booger it.

Got a new one coming. Oh well live and learn, I've never been the most delicate person.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2023, 08:11:23 AM »
I was doing the same tear down to clean, later I learned to just load some thinner. Pointing at a paper towel, cycle the spray pattern full open to close.

Until the thinner sprays clean, using an acid brush (silver handle, stiff black bristle) clean the inside of the nozzle.

Makes life so easy, some get a little crazy with the air brush. One more stick with the single action, it will serve you well.

Started spraying some color tonight. It wasn't spraying quite right. It was pushing paint through before the needle was even open. Also it was really spitting and splotchy.

Turns out when I cleaned it last and reassembled I was a bit too rough with the needle. Bent the tip just enough to booger it.

Got a new one coming. Oh well live and learn, I've never been the most delicate person.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:12:55 AM by pep »

Offline muddy

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2023, 11:22:02 AM »
I was doing the same tear down to clean, later I learned to just load some thinner. Pointing at a paper towel, cycle the spray pattern full open to close.

Until the thinner sprays clean, using an acid brush (silver handle, stiff black bristle) clean the inside of the nozzle.

Makes life so easy, some get a little crazy with the air brush. One more stick with the single action, it will serve you well.

Thanks for the tip! I ordered an adapter for my single action Paasche model H once it comes I'll have to give it a go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2023, 11:23:13 AM »
Got the red sprayed.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2023, 04:03:54 PM »
Pretty cool work Tim. You have an artistic side --
I always enjoyed weathering model trains and rolling stock by dry-brushing with colored chalk dust and then fixing it with flat clear enamel. Your air brush is a much better process though.

Offline muddy

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2023, 11:22:56 AM »
I always enjoyed weathering model trains and rolling stock by dry-brushing with colored chalk dust and then fixing it with flat clear enamel. Your air brush is a much better process though.
Thanks Ray the artistic side is there, however skill isn't always the best, but is improving.

With N scale in not sure the air brush will go fine enough for done detail work so that will still be done by hand

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »
Thanks Ray the artistic side is there, however skill isn't always the best, but is improving.

With N scale in not sure the air brush will go fine enough for done detail work so that will [u]still be done by hand[/u]

For sure

Offline muddy

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2023, 08:49:02 PM »
Finishes up airbrushing for now. Have another structure in the mail that will need painting to eventually.

Also let the kids have a go

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2023, 09:16:19 PM »
Nothing like having fun with the kids. Great to see them join in Tim. They are both growing like weeds -- Just Wonderful!!!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2023, 09:10:59 AM »
Coal Mine

Offline muddy

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2023, 05:13:28 AM »
Nice coal mine!

My next structure is a coal dealer.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2023, 07:01:08 AM »
Good-looking structure, how is the coal delivered, plastic or wood kit?