Author Topic: Machining pipe-rail trolley wheels  (Read 2107 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Machining pipe-rail trolley wheels
« on: November 05, 2020, 08:46:15 AM »
NOTE -- This is one of the projects I did a decade ago and which was lost due to the old GG website crash. I managed to restore the thread from old backup text files and insert the pics as necessary.

You guys know that I've been looking for a pipe trolley for my Host rail that I built a few weeks ago. I was going to go with a pipe trolley system, but decided that this may be just the project to design my own trolley.

Here is the Hoist project from a few weeks ago --

The pipe needs a trolley to make the hoist glide. So I chucked up two of these old iron wheels that I used several years ago to make English Wheel anvils with. IIRC I got about 20 of them from Northern Tool at the time because they were on sale for $1.50 each on a closeout.

The plan is to install some good bearings, and then cut the concave radius so that the wheel will track on the pipe.

First I chucked the wheels up and used a small boring bar to cut the bores for the bearings.

After the bores were done, I used my trusty homemade radius cutter to form the 2-1/2" radius that I needed for the rail.

This cast iron cuts very difficult because it flakes, so every now and then I smoothed it out with some emory cloth to make the surface easier for the cutter to traverse.

After about 30 minutes I was able to get my radius completed with one final smooth cut.

The finished trolley wheels with bearings installed --

Next, I'll have to build a frame around those wheels. That's a job for next week.   beerdude

Here is the thread for the trolley frame build

http://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=3062.msg34858#msg34858

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:27:16 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: Machining pipe-rail trolley wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 08:07:41 PM »
Nice work Ray!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk