Author Topic: Acronyms and other memory prickers  (Read 3717 times)

Offline geneg

Re: Acronyms and other memory prickers
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
Read thru parts of the linked site-   Forgot all about the every good boy does fine from 4th grade music.

I too, do not like to think of engines in liters.  Mini bikes  & go carts were in cc's.  Cars & trucks are cubic inches!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2023, 10:33:54 PM »
Read thru parts of the linked site-   Forgot all about the every good boy does fine from 4th grade music.

I too, do not like to think of engines in liters.  Mini bikes  & go carts were in cc's.  Cars & trucks are cubic inches!

:great:

I remember my dad picked up a 1964 El Camino with a 283 V-8 in it that burned oil. I think he paid $400 for it. But he knew someone with a 327 V-8 that had been modified into more of a racing engine, and he got that for $100. One weekend I helped him swap the engines. When we took it for it's first test run, my dad had forgotten to install the hood hold down. So when we hit 40MPH, the hood flipped up and covered the windshield! Made for a fantastic memory.   :-\

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2023, 11:33:47 AM »
When painting I used to have trouble remembering what type of brush to use with certain paints/finishes. Water-based products need synthetic brush bristles, whereas natural bristled brushes are best for oil-based products. The reasoning is natural bristles seem to "soak up" latex products and they get thick and clumpy. that's a no-no. Plus the solvents used to clean oil brushes might affect the plastic synthetic bristles. So those need natural fibers.

I've adopted the "opposites attract" rule. Water is "natural", so I use an artificial (synthetic) bristle. Oil (paints) are man-made, so I used natural bristles.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2023, 12:25:38 PM »
Remembering the order of significance in solving equations.

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

translates to ......... Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction

ALSO

remembering Pi out to the 8th value using the phrase --  "May I have a large container of coffee?". Just count the letters in each word, and don't forget to put a decimal after counting May, which = 3

Hence Pi to the eighth value = 3.1415926

...and the one we all drilled in Algebra/Trig class in high school for remembering sine, cosine, tangent

SOH-CAH-TOA  pronounced “soak a toe-uh”   -  Sine = Opp/Hyp, Cosine = Adj/Hyp, Tangent = Opp/Adj
I completely forgot that I had learned that pandas thing.
Even if I had remembered it I'd have no clue what it meant, but reading your comment I actually remember the day I learned it.
I haven't used it since though because I'm an idiot who sucks at anything beyond basic math and can probably count on both hands the number of times I actually did my homework from 1st grade through 8th.

Our educational system is pretty damn screwed up if I can do my homework so little and never flunk a single grade
I did have to take algebra 1 probably 3 times and I don't think I ever even got to algebra 2, but otherwise the school system kind of failed by letting me get away with not doing my homework.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2023, 03:46:50 PM »
Was watching a power tool repair guy on the Tube, and he taught me the correct parts of an electric motor.

The stator (stays put) is the outside electrified ring/cylinder (also known as a "field").
The rotor (rotating part) is the inner coil that turns the shaft and drives the tool (also known as the "armature").
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 08:54:29 AM by bonneyman »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2023, 04:10:17 PM »
When I worked in the US driving truck , our logbook pages had the letters GOAL in pale writing imposed into the background of where we wrote all the info for our day  , it stood for “ get out and look” if you weren’t sure of anything, still stays with me to today over 20 years later ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great advice. i operate a lot of equipment that is large with poor visibility or plain old, obstructed views. i wish i could count the times i have gotten out for a look around once twice or more times. as i get older, reaction time, vision. night vison and sore joints all compound my fears. i don't mind fixing things that break but i hate fixing things i needlessly broke or damaged.

They paint it in giant letters on the side of a certain carrier's trucks to remind their bonehead drivers when they look in the mirror as they sideswipe light poles, small cars, and dock rails...

S wing
W ide
I t's a
F ukin
T railer

Never Saddle A Dead Horse to remind me which way to put a clamp on a wire rope

Offline slip knot

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 07:01:35 PM »
I always thought Swift was

Sure
Wish
I'd
Finished
Training

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2023, 09:08:01 PM »
Just figured a way to be able to keep stock market terms straight. A bull versus a bear market.

Bears go down underground to hibernate - bulls don't. So, a "bear market" means a downturn of some kind, and a "bull market" means an upturn. A "bullish" investor expects prices to rise, whereas a "bearish" investor expects them to fall. And they buy or sell accordingly.

Apparently the term "bear' originated with an old proverb "you don't sell the bearskin before you've caught the bear". Over time it came to mean selling a borrowed stock only to repurchase it later at a cheaper price (because you expected prices to fall). Today it's called "short selling". Not very wise. "Bulls" came up as an opposite of "bears".
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/bullish-vs-bearish

Now when I hear the terms on the evening news I understand them a little better.   :great:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2024, 11:54:24 AM »
Been watching more cooking shows lately, and the question of choosing the right wine keeps coming up. I don't drink much wine, but thought you just picked a wine you liked to go with your meal.

Obviously not! There's all sorts of rules, flavor mixing considerations, and types of wine that one has to sift through to make the right choice. Finally read where a commentator made it simple: red wine for red meat, white white for white meat.

I'm sure the purists out there are going to go ballistic - but the next time someone invites the Mrs and I over for dinner I'm following this advice to bring some wine with us.