Author Topic: Victor torch body - nice to know info  (Read 2660 times)

Offline oldnslo

Victor torch body - nice to know info
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:56:08 AM »
I converted from a Harris torch setup to Victor after collecting all the parts and pieces to make a nice set. Quickly here, I want to pass on a tip about Victor torch part numbers.

While mine is marked 315FC, the 3 is for the 300 series (vs 100, etc), and those others are different physical sizes (not interchangeable tips).

The F...is for built in flashback protection (lots of info on the net if you need it). My old Harris I had to buy those separately 40 years ago.

The C is for check valve. A more recent protection innovation, that prevents gas reverse flow (lots of info on the net).

Turns out I bought some reverse flow valves in error (my torch had them), but I was uninformed. Yaaa for ebay letting me return them.

Now you are informed!  ;)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Re: Victor torch body - nice to know info
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
I hope i'm not infringing, but maybe you can help me with mine.

Victor torch with cutting head, that much I do know.

Looks to be a CA1060 cutting head

Looks like 315C

I'm not real up on  torches, cutting or other wise so any advice is good advise. I'm guessing I need to have this gone over or something so I don't hurt myself trying to use it. I've had it ten or so yrs and no telling how long it sat before that.

Thanks for any input.
Rich

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
Lots of torch safety videos out there, view a few to get the central themes. It appears your torch DOES NOT have the flashback arrestors, both from the model number missing the F, and the physical appearance. View this at the 2:00 mark and pause it to better understand.

Buy that safety item, watch the videos, find some scrap iron and light up the night with sparks and molten metal.

One other tip about torches, are metal to metal connections, like cutting tips to cutting bodies. Those are wrench tightened. Tip to torch body connections (via oring sealing), are hand tightened. Yes, I know there is a nut there begging to be wrenched on, but proper connection is via snug hand tightening. Orings should always be in fine shape.

I always remove the torch tip when done welding, and have a plastic cap to seal the torch body against dust/etc. This allows the torch tip orings to relax when not in use.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
Personally, I would buy a set that showed the reverse thread marking (the cut mark), thats just me.