Author Topic: I don’t think this wiring is right.  (Read 2673 times)

Offline m_fumich

I don’t think this wiring is right.
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:18:47 PM »
We use AC window units. The unit in one bedroom is on a semi dedicated circuit. It shares the circuit with a heater that’s mounted in the wall. Last night the receptacle the AC plugs in to melted a bit. Ultimately, I think it was due to a loose connection. But the way the receptacle was wired is the problem.

Whom ever wired it had a jumper wire from the ground screw to one of the bright screws and the ground wire connected to the second bright screw. The black wire was connected to one of the brass screws. The white wire was disconnected and has a twist nut on it. I used my DVOM and got 126V between the black and ground. I got 257V between the black and white wires. I’m inclined to say this isn’t the right way to wire this receptacle. I’m betting the heater is 240V and since we aren’t likely to run the heater and the AC at the same time, we aren’t likely to overload the circuit and wiring the AC with just the black wire and ground only provided 120V, thereabouts, to the outlet for the AC.

Unless someone more knowledgeable than me tells me this is OK, I’m not putting power back to that circuit with the receptacle wired that way.

Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: I don’t think this wiring is right.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
That is half ass, and you are correct 220, for the heater. I would not have that in my home. What are the chances of using a regular wall out let for the AC.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

I don’t think this wiring is right.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
What are the chances of using a regular wall out let for the AC.

Fortunately, there’s an outlet about 18” to the right and within reach that’s on the circuit with the other outlets in the room. It can handle the load so that’s what we’re using right now. But I gotta do something about these wires sticking out of the wall. The breaker to that circuit is off so no shock hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:04:15 AM by m_fumich »

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:22:02 PM »
Yeah, 240 circuit and the previous hack is using the grounding conductor for a neutral. Very bad idea.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »
I've seen worse hacks. Like grabbing one hot leg and the neutral off of a 240 volt circuit box next to the home A/C to run the pool pump - or the garage door opener - instead of a dedicated line. Just asking for blown fuses and tripped breakers.

Plus, if I come out for a HVAC call and see this, I told them I can disconnect the added appliance - or walk away. Not gonna touch a set-up like that and put my name on it.

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »
I've seen worse hacks. Like grabbing one hot leg and the neutral off of a 240 volt circuit box next to the home A/C to run the pool pump - or the garage door opener - instead of a dedicated line. Just asking for blown fuses and tripped breakers.

Plus, if I come out for a HVAC call and see this, I told them I can disconnect the added appliance - or walk away. Not gonna touch a set-up like that and put my name on it.
Those are worse than putting 120 volts on a bare conductor?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »

Those are worse than putting 120 volts on a bare conductor?

Oh, I see your point. That is bad.

I was focusing in on them not using the heater and A/C at the same time. The scenarios I've seen both appliances could try to start up at the same time (A/C and pool pump, A/C and garage door). it something like that happened at night while everybody's asleep, that could be frightening.
I was always looking at potential overloads and heat deterioration of wires, as being a contractor if I'm the last poor sucker to touch something - and it then burns the house down - they'll come after me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:35:26 PM by bonneyman »