Author Topic: Gas station build  (Read 23872 times)

Offline walrus

Re: Gas station build
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »
Looks familiar. Its not a lot of power but many different wiring methods. AC conduits, Intercom Conduits, CAT 6 conduits, tank monitoring conduits. 8 Dispensers, would require between 24 and 32 all by themselves. Then you have canopy power, tanks need AC and Tank monitoring conduits. Probably 60 conduits or so.  All the different wiring methods need to be kept separate even inside the building. Its tough to keep track of and has to be right when done.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:38:08 PM by walrus »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »
It’s a 1000 amp service with a lot of low voltage tech and sensors.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »

Interesting. Didn't realize gas stations were that high tech, and certainly didn't expect VFD controlled pumps. Though the drives do look like something out of the '90's :D BTW do you have a transformer in between the 1,000A service and those drives? I noticed the manual stated 5,000A max and the available fault current on a 1,000A service is likely to be at least double that.

I guess that darker cabinet off to the right is the controls side. I'd like to see some pics of that if you're still on site when they get it populated.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
Enjoying this thread.  Great to get Heiny's and Walrus's takes on building a gas station.  Know Heiny got lots of construction experience and Walrus has lots of gas station experience on the electrical side.  Me, I pumped gas in the 70's, checked your oil and tires but can't build squat and while I understand electricity, and can certainly wire simple machines, that is way above my pay grade :))

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »

Interesting to see the circuits and network runs. Is the power for the hot dog roller in there some where ?  :017:

Both conduit, and liquid runs shown? How do they keep the order sorted out?

Amazing
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:35:19 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:54 PM »

Interesting to see the circuits and network runs. Is the power for the hot dog roller in there some where ?  :017:

Both conduit, and liquid runs shown? How do they keep the order sorted out?

Amazing

These electricians are the best I have seen. They basically do nothing but new gas stations. Speedway, Twice Daily, Racetrack, and Thornton’s. They now what they are doing. And yes we have 2 hot dog rollers.  :)) :))
MAGA

Offline walrus

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:09 AM »
Nice looking work, the controls are in that cabinet with all the relays, might be a custom built cabinet by Power Integrity? Used because you have to switch all power( AC, Intercom, Data, Cat 6) off to a dispenser for maintenance and for an emergency. Those VFC drives have changed very little since the 90s. I see a Gilbarco data box, soon that will be eliminated and everything will be networked like the card readers are now. Most likely a Gilbarce Applause box somewhere for gas station TV.
I'm helping install 13 new dispensers right now on a job. Dispenser upgrade required to get new chip readers which is required by Master/Visa by Oct. this year. Wireless Comms between pumps and building eliminates a lot of the controls for shut downs.

I'm guessing the cost for the gasoline side of store, pumps tanks dispensers, canopy, conduits wiring etc is north of a million bucks

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
CPI
MAGA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
Walrus, the credit card readers explains why they just changed the pumps at my local gas station. 

Heiny, glad you got some good electricians, has to make your life easier. 

Walrus, how is your work holding up?  With low gas sales, I would assume that will catch up to you at some point.

Offline walrus

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
Walrus, the credit card readers explains why they just changed the pumps at my local gas station. 

Heiny, glad you got some good electricians, has to make your life easier. 

Walrus, how is your work holding up?  With low gas sales, I would assume that will catch up to you at some point.

I'm crazy busy right now, while gallons are way off, margins have been unreal, over 50 cents a gallon at times, right now 30 cents. Majors taking a beating but distributors and retailers making bank. Most of the time the Deli would be where retailers make money but the first time in a long time its gas making the money.
I'm not sure what will happen later on, It could slow way done if Covid lingers on??

Offline walrus

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2020, 04:40:08 AM »
Here is a back room at 13 dispenser location I was just working at. Nice looking work inside by site electricians too bad they hacked the shit out electrical under dispensers.  This site was installed in 08. I went to make final connections to dispensers as site electricians were unsure of dispensers.  One pics shows how comms work in 21st century.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
Walrus, its funny that you mention the stations make their money at the deli.  Two large regional chains here, Royal Farms and Wawa, when they build or remodel, make the deli large and the focal point of the store in a big way.  I started taking note of it about 3 or 4 years ago.  Figured that was their profit center, nice to have it confirmed.

Oh, and build and remodel they do.  And its like the owners hate each other because they will but stores on top of each other.

Offline walrus

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Walrus, its funny that you mention the stations make their money at the deli.  Two large regional chains here, Royal Farms and Wawa, when they build or remodel, make the deli large and the focal point of the store in a big way.  I started taking note of it about 3 or 4 years ago.  Figured that was their profit center, nice to have it confirmed.

Oh, and build and remodel they do.  And its like the owners hate each other because they will but stores on top of each other.
Wawa is ahead of the pack on Delis, they are known for food. The Wawas I have seen make you walk by the deli as they put out in the middle of the store instead of on a side of the store. They build on top of one another just like McDs, wendys and burger king as they all draw in customers.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I travel between California and Nevada a fair amount, or at least did before the great shutdown. There is a chain of stations along my route called Terrible Herbst that seems to sell mostly Chevron. Great delis and the bathrooms are always nice and very clean but no way will I buy any fuel there. They have the yapping pumps and video screens. The screens are easy enough to ignore but the chatter from the pumps is intrusive and annoying at least to me and the volume is high enough I get it from the pump I'm at and from the surrounding ones as well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »
Seems like Speedway is making a big push into Tucson of late. Do you guys know about them? They're popping up all over, taking over abandoned stations all over town. Guess they're trying to compete with QT?

Pretty soon it'll be nothing but convenience marts, vape stores, and tattoo parlors!  :lol_hitting: